Pushkar is a holy city in Rajasthan, India famous for its Brahma temple, lake, ghats, and bazaar.
Pushkar is a holy town in the state of Rajasthan famous for the Pushkar lake, various ghats and temples spread all around the lake.
The word 'Pushkar' means lotus flower, which is said to be the seat of Brahma, one of the Hindu holy trinity, who is worshipped as the creator of this world. The legend has it that the demon Vajra Nabha killed Brahma's children, he in turn struck him with his weapon, a lotus flower. Vajra Nabha died with the impact, and the petals of the lotus fell at three places. One of them is Pushkar, where it gave birth to a lake. Brahma is supposed to have performed sacrifice at this lake on Kartik Purnima (the full moon day of the Kartik month (generally in the month of November)), hallowing the place.
Though Brahma is considered to be the creator of the world, Pushkar is the only temple of this important deity in the whole world. This is also considered as Adi Teerth or Teertharaj meaning ancient holy place or the most important of holy places respectively.
Pushkar is but a small town and hence has no airport. The nearest airport is in Jaipur. Jaipur is well connected to major Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata by air.
Take a taxi or rickshaw from Ajmer. Frequent buses are available from Ajmer main bus station (rs 8/-)
From Delhi, regular trains are available till Ajmer. There are direct trains from Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Kolkata, Bhopal, Ernakulam and Bangalore to Ajmer.
Various tour operators and travel agencies offer chauffeured car-taxi services; these are charged on a per km, per day basis. You can plan to take one to arrive into the city or take one for sightseeing in and around the city.
Most of the sights center around the lakefront which can be seen on foot.
To go further a field you can hire a bike (push/motor) and take in the surrounding beautiful countryside and hidden temples.
- Bramha temple - One of the very few temples for Lord Bramha in the world.
- Rangji temple - This is a Vishnu temple built in south Indian style.
- Chamunda temple - This is one of the 51 Shakti peeths. It is also known as Manibandh.
- Panchkund Shiva temple - It is around 2-3 kms from the pushkar lake. The shiva temple is said to have been built by Pancha pandavas.
- Savitri temple - It is located on top of a hill near the lake. This temple is dedicated to the goddess savitri, wife of Hindu god Brahma. This temple is the second most religious temple in Pushkar.
- Pushkar Lake- Pushkar Lake is a beautiful, sanctified spot to visit in Pushkar. This lake is considered to be very old and of the time when the earth was created. This lake is a place of pilgrimage for the Hindus. Lake is surrounded by 52 different ghats to take bath, where Hindus and other tourists come to take a dip in the month of karthik.
- Pushkar Fair:  Every year thousands of domestic and international tourists come to be a part of this amazing Pushkar Fair. This fair is organized in 20 n0v To 28 Nov 2012 . Tourists come to take a holy dip in the pushkar lake at the time of karthik purnima, which is basically a full moon day. Pushkar fair is also famous as colourful and huge cattle fair. Pushkar is well known for it’s camel safari and other adventures activities.
- Enjoy rooftop candle dinners at the restaurant of the guest house.
- The small market of Pushkar is good for buying clothes of interesting designs and patterns at very cheap price of €2 to €3.
- Visit Savitri temple on small hill which is about one hour climb but view of lake from top is wonderful.
- If you find water clean take a holy dip in the pond.
- You can perform worship of pond through priest but fix up a price beforehand lest he hassles for it.
- In the evening there is prayer at Varah Ghat with huge lamps and chimes of bell. Attend it, it is mesmerizing.
- Bhaang (cannabis) is local herb sold on authorized shops of government. You may try bhang lassi.
- Try mint tea. It has exotic taste.
- Take a round of holy pond known as parikarma.
Go for a Pushkar camel safari in nearby villages. Pushkar is famous for camel safaris. Tourists can visit small villages, crop harvesting during their camel safari ride. The view can be exceptionally enticing. Camel safaris in Pushkar are always a memorable experience for tourists. However, keep in mind that the camel is not likely to enjoy the safari.
- Pushkar Camel Safari Tours, Vinayak Nagar-c, Near Pentrol Pump, ☎ 09828178063, . 02 hrs. Pushkar Camel Safari Tours offers two types of safaris,a “ Sunset/ Sunrise” for those visitors who only have a few hours to spare and an “ Overnight safari” for those who wish to explore the surrounding areas a little more in depth. Rs.400.
This place is heaven for shoppers. filled with many items like jewelry, cloths, showpieces, books, bags, handicraft,shoes
YOU will have to carry extra bag because the market fascinates u and pulls u to buys beautiful things
- pushkar garments & handicraft (email@example.com), opp: icici bank atm near new ranghji temple choti basti pushkar, ☎ 09460358413. 15. wall hangings . bed covers . cushion cover . pashminas . cotton & silk scarfs. puffs (seat). rajasthani turbone. bags etc. cheap.
- vikas handicrafts, opposite rainbow rooftop restaurant (brahma temple road), ☎ 9413818781, . it's a handicraft's store where you get the best deals in town on handmade paper notebooks photo albums,incense sticks and essential oils. Here you get the best quality with the "best price".
- Pushkar Restaurant, 122/3, Near Bharma Temple (Near Pushkar Fair Ground), ☎ +91 1452772729, . A multicuisine pure vegetarian restaurant serving Indian, Chinese, Continental and Rajasthani cuisine. The restaurant is decorated in fresh & lively the dyed traditional textiles. It offers a choice of continental & Rajasthani buffet. 500 R.
- Aroma Royal Pushkar, Main Market, ☎ 0091 1452772729, . 20-50 for a main meal.
- Hotel Sunset, Main Market.
- Hotel Sanjay, Main Market, ☎ 0145 2773831. breakfast,lunch,dinner. 20-50 for a main meal.
- Hotel Sunset, Main Market. Hotel Sunset Main Market
- out of the blue (traditional Indian food), kapra bazar badi basti (brahma temple road), ☎ 0919269102811. Good taste, quick and friendly service, panoramic view of lake. Try pizzas and pastas.
- Sanskar Restaurant, end of main market street, opp. Vishnu Temple (next to Om Hotel and Sarovar Hotel). This low-key local food stall is serving delicious non-fatty thali including curd. Very friendly staff makes sure you really get filled up. Rs 50.
- Shiva Buffet Restaurant, way of hotel pushkar palace roof top on hotel v.k., ☎ 09928773817. 16. roof top restaurant many things for eat only in 100rs morning 7.00am to 11.30am breakfast . after noon 12.00pm to 4.00pm lunch and in evening 4.30pm to 11.00pm night dinner. Clean and quiet restaurant. 100rs.
Alcohol and non-vegetarian food are forbidden in Pushkar.
- Try to book room in a guest house having view of Holy Lake Pushkar. In Pushkar it is the lake that is most important religiously and mythologically. It will cost you something around €5 to €6 in tourist season.
- Milkman, Mali Mohalla (contact Vinod firstname.lastname@example.org), ☎ 0145-2773452 or 09828355245. checkout: 10am. A cozy family run Guesthouse in a quiet area. Superb restaurant with delicious meals. Grassy rooftop to relax on. Various sized rooms with and without attached bathrooms, and with and without air conditioning. Clean and with great decor. Internet facilities, and cable TV's available. from Rs.250.
- Aroma Hotel, Near Brahma Temple Pushkar (http://www.aroma-hotel.com/index.html), ☎ Landline No. +91-145-2772729, . Rooms are completely spotless, owners are very friendly, helpful and honest. Has a restaurant and grassy rooftop to chill out or practice yoga. Free internet.
- Hotel Kishan Palace, Panchkund Road, ☎ 0145-2773056, . checkin: 2; checkout: 11. Rooms a Kishan Palace are well maintained with all the modern facilities like AC , Satelite TV, 24 hrs hot " cold water etc. The rooms are well kept, with proper hygenic conditions. As a family runned property Kishan palace offers a quality service which is real value to your money. One the high points of Kishan Palace is its terrace, which is great place to relax with some great music. The terrace is the Ideal place to read or doing nothing with great view of Pushkar Town & fantastic view of Aravalis. A a cup of nicely brewed coffee or a tea at this place is a treat in itself . 50-60.
- Everest Hotel. Clean and very quiet rooms, with friendly staff. Rooftop restaurant. Highly recommended, free WIFI
- honeydew's Retreat hotel & restaurant, opp. shahpura ka ram dwara (the first hotel near the toll tax), ☎ +919828083185, . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 10 am. Very clean rooms and bathrooms 24 hr hot & cold water ,T.V,wi-fi internet, close to the bus station huge lawns to sit and relax swimming pool. worth a try . non ac room Rs.800 and ac room Rs.1000. check out time can be extended on request.
- Surabhi Villa Resort (Resort in Pushkar Ajmer), Jaipur Bye Pass, Chungi Naka (Budha Pushkar), ☎ 9828211611, . checkin: 12; checkout: 12. Resort in Pushkar is one of the best value hotels in Pushkar. Built in new style, there are beautifully carved design, attractive courtyards, open terraces, lovely garden and comfortable rooms with antique furnishings. The rooms are of an excellent standard - all clean, light, airy and with excellent facilities throughout. There is a friendly manager and the staff help to make your stay in Pushkar one to remember - they are always happy to help and also can arrange transport and special excursions including camel safaris. They can also arrange many other treats including massage treatment, henna designs, bicycle hire , horse riding, conference hall, wedding planning and Folk Dance. You will be made to feel at home and will only wish you can stay longer. Resort is a modern guest house with a budget tariff providing world class Rajasthani style accommodation. View is a quiet, comfortable, family run guest house. 1200.
- The whole of town is considered to be sacred, so whatever rules generally apply to place of worship in India, apply to the whole of town.
- Smoking in public is prohibited by law though the rule is never enforced enthusiastically.
- Consumption of liquor or meat is not allowed in the city, therefore it is advised to respect the rule and not carry any liquor/ meat with you while travelling to Pushkar.
- It is advised that the men wear full length pants and t-shirt/ shirt and women wear full length clothes. Do not wear off-shoulder tops or shorts while roaming within the city.
- Take off your shoes at stairs if you are going near the lake.
- Be polite, but do not be pressured into making any offering at the ghats. It is not mandatory.
- If you want to hire local travel guide, do not go with him alone.
- Find safe accommodation. If you are a solo female tourist, safety is more important than price.
- Avoid wearing Western-style casual clothes such as a mini-skirt, shorts, tanktop, camisole, or tight-fitting t-shirts.