Purwokerto is a sleepy little town located in the Central Java province, Indonesia. It is also a major transportation hub in Java, connecting other major cities in Java, such as Jakarta, Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Surabaya, and Cirebon.
Purwokerto is a town of 300,000 inhabitants. Commonly referred as a cross-road between Jakarta and Yogyakarta. The town is on the foothill of Gunung Slamet volcano, the highest volcano in Central Java. Purwokerto also the main entrance to climb Gunung Slamet. Many of Indonesian famous people originated from Purwokerto, namely Jendral Sudirman, Jendral Gatot Subroto, Soepardjo Roestam etc. Most of those heroic people are honoured as a street name all over Indonesia.
Until today airport in Banyumas area is still in planning process. Military airport in Wirasaba Purbalingga is only a half hour from Purwokerto, capital city of Banyumas.
Nowadays the airport has been being built for commercial flight. From capital city of Jakarta through Sukarno Hatta Airport, you can pass Adi Sucipto Airport (Yogyakarta), Adi Sumarmo Airport (Solo), Tunggul Wulung Airstrip (Cilacap) and Ahmad Yani International Airport (Semarang) and then go through road way.
The bus station is Terminal Bus Purwokerto on 10 hectares area, clean, save and comfort located 4 km to the south of the town center. There are regular services throughout the island, including Jakarta (9 hours) with customer recommended Sinar Jaya bus, Yogyakarta (4 to 5.5 hours) with Raharja and Efisiensi bus, Semarang (6 hours) with Nusantara bus and Bandung (6 to 8 hours) with Budiman and Goodwill bus.
The terminal serves for 24 hours.
Trains to Jakarta take between 4 to 9 hours from the main Purwokerto station depend on train class. The Argo-class trains (Argo Lawu and Argo Dwipangga) are the best of the lot: most comfortable and fastest. Taksaka is almost as good. These train also cater for Yogyakarta destination.
there is a complete list of Train Schedule and Cost at 
Jenderal Sudirman Street, one of the busiest street in town
Purwokerto is a relatively small city, travelling around town should not be too expensive. You may jog around town for 40 minutes.
Traditional three-wheeled pedal-powered carts known as becak can be found in most part of Purwokerto. Haggle furiously.
Although Purwokerto is a small city, travelling around town can be more faster and easier by angkot (a van that carries passengers, very common in Indonesia). Always have direct routes but sometimes can be very crowded. Costs Rp 2500 per person.
- Kobata Taxi, Jalan Stadion Mini IV Blok B no. 42, ☎ (0281) 642440/(0281) 642441.
- Satria Taxi, Jalan Pemuda, ☎ (0281) 7668400.
Purwokerto has many beautiful buildings and monuments.
Bank BRI Museum, one of the city's main attraction.
- Purwokerto Fly-over, is a well known landmark located in front of train station. The flyover was built in 1967.
- Train Station, a Dutch colonial architecture, many Dutch residential building can be located in front of the train station.
- Museum Bank, located in Jalan Bank, a museum dedicated for R.A. Wiriatmaja who pioneer the Indonesian banking system.
- Baturraden Adventure Forest (BAF), Baturraden (1 km from Queen Garden Hotel), .
- Sport centre: GOR Satria (Jalan Dr Suharso) is known as the largest sport complex in town. Contains a football stadium, tennis courts, reflection park, and a few other venues. Usually, locals visit place in the morning, especially on Sunday.
- Karaoke: One of the most popular entertainment program in town, especially for the locals. Plenty of well-known chains spread throughout the city, such as Inul Vista (Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, close to Pasar Wage), Happy Puppy (Satria Plaza), NAV (Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, across the Satria Plaza), and Happy Family (Cherry Fresh Fruit Market).
- Pool: Another famous entertainment activity in town. There are a few pool places in town, such as Maestro Billiard (Jalan Dr Suharso), and BBC Pool and Billiards (Jalan Dr Angka, Tirta Kembar Amusement Center).
- Clubbing: Cheers! Cafe (Jalan Dr Angka, Dynasty Entertainment Center) is the most-known and the best club in town, also comes with new concept of Cafe - Club - Party. A lot of Indonesian famous singers and bands held their stage here.
The educational institution in Purwokerto:
- Universitas Jenderal Soedirman .
- Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwokerto .
- Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo now STAIN Purwokerto.
The biggest traditional market is Pasar Wage. There are also several small traditional markets, such as Pasar Manis and Pasar Pon.
Boutique and Distro
A row of shops in Purwokerto
There are a number of boutique and distro along the HR Bunyamin Street, in the northern part of the city. Mostly visited by the youths and college students.
- Moro Mall, Jalan Perintis Kemerdekaan no. 7 (Right in the commercial core in town, just a walk distance from Tamara Plaza and Rita Pasaraya Isola). 9.00 AM - 21.00 PM. The most visited and most famous shopping mall by the locals. Today, it's still on renovation and expansion phase.
- Tamara Plaza, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 447 (Right in the downtown, just a walk distance from Moro Mall and Rita Pasaraya Isola), ☎ (0281) 638176 or (0281) 638177 (email@example.com, fax: (0281) 638216), . Also known as the 'Sri Ratu'. The anchor tenants of this mall are Handphone Center, Gramedia Book Store, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Sri Ratu Department Store.
- Rita Pasaraya, the first department store chain in Purwokerto. There are 2 in Purwokerto, one in Kebon Dalem and the other newest one in Jenderal Sudirman Street, close to Moro Mall and Tamara Plaza.
- Matahari Department Store department store and supermarket owned by PT Matahari Putra Prima Tbk.
- Cherry Fresh Fruit Market, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 437 (Located right in the town center, 3 km head to the east from Moro Mall), ☎ (0281) 7920500. 9.00 AM - 21.00 PM. The largest and most complete fresh fruit store in town. The Happy Family Karaoke is on the 2nd floor.
- P&D Aroma, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 217 (Located right in the downtown, walking distance from Tamara Plaza and Moro Mall). One of the most famous supermarkets in town.
There are plenty of handicrafts and souvenirs stands in the nearby Baturaden, a cool resort-town 14 km to the north.
- Gethuk Goreng At Sokaraja, there is a famous food called Gethuk Goreng that many shops sell under different kinds of names. It made of cassava and a lot of Javanese sugar. Other foods to be had include nopia, mino (small nopia) kripik, and also mendoan.
- Mendoan can be bought in stores on jalan Sawangan, such as Mirasa, Echo21, etc. You can buy it raw (with separated ingredients) and fry it at home.
The following dishes should be on every traveller's agenda:
- Gudeg, a curry of jackfruit, chicken and egg served with rice, and is the most famous local dish. The most famous gudeg seller is in front of Pasar Manis, Jalan Gatot Subroto.
- Mendoan is local food in Purwokerto, from a very slim Tempe (food from a fermented soy bean, very famous food in Java) and covered by dough of wheat flour. Although many places selling Mendoan, the best Mendoan only served in the village. Even though Mendoan sold at city is considerable tasty.
- Sate Kambing Sate Kambing in Purwokerto Area (Banyumas, Sokaraja, Purbalingga) is also famous for very tender young Goat. One of the best is Sate Tiga Saudara.
- Soto Ani, Gen. Sudirman (east from Alun-alun, across Gaya Baru Optik.located in small street behind building). approx 5 to 9 pm. 7k (at sept 09).
- Rumah Makan Cahaya Mas, one of the best chinese food restaurants in town. Moslem must think twice here.
You can visit in Overste Isdiman Purwokerto RM endut is famous with the hainan chicken rice and nasi campur. located on jln. wahid hasim 118 purwokerto. delivery service 0281-7647345
- Serabi Jalan Bank, available early in the morning is a local favourite. The queue is sometimes very long especially during holiday season.
- Soto Jalan Bank, Soto Sungep (also in jalan Bank), Soto Pak Tama (near Rita department store and supermarket, Soto Pak Sampun (at jalan Komisaris Bambang Suprapto), Soto Ani at Gen. Sudirman street; [east from Alun-alun across Gaya Baru Optik. located in small street behind building, open approx 5 to 9 pm].
- Soto Sokaraja, available in Sokaraja, located 4 km east of Purwokerto. Many of Soto Sokaraja in here, consider one of the best is Soto Kecik. The place not so good but very famous. Another famous one (some people consider this soto is better) is Soto Sutri.
- Mie Kelinci III available in HR.Benyamin 2 KM from Limas Agung.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 447, Ground Floor Tamara Plaza (right in the downtown), ☎ (0281) 641759, . The best and the most famous fried chicken joint chains in town.
- California Fried Chicken, Jalan Perintis Kemerdekaan, Moro Mall (right in the downtown). Another famous Indonesian fast food chains in Purwokerto.
- Bunto's Chicken, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 286 (across the Alun-Alun). One of the most famous local fast food chains in Purwokerto. Rita's owned.
- Bakso Pekih, Jalan Pekih (just a walk distance from the Alun-Alun and Grand Mosque). 9.00 AM - 18.00 PM. One of the most famous meatball place in town. Easy on the wallet.
- Pratista Harsa, Jalan Pereng (just a walk distance from the Alun-Alun and Grand Mosque). A food court in the downtown, with very wide varieties of local dishes. Easy on wallet and recommended for the culinary lovers.
- Siomay Kuah Segar, Jalan Prof Dr Suharso (across the GOR Satria's entrance point). A simple and modern restaurant that offers wide varieties of siomay and Japanese dishes, like Okonomiyaki, Yakimesi, Takoyaki, Ramen, and Steam Boat. Plus, also one of the best Japanese option in town.
- Paparon's Pizza, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Kompleks Pertokoan Stasiun Timur (In the city center, right in the intersection between Jalan Merdeka and Jalan Jenderal Sudirman), ☎ (0281) 634747, . The most well-known pizza restaurant in town.
- Ayam Penyet Suroboyo, Jalan Prof Dr Suharso (A few meters to the GOR Satria, across Iga Bakar Mas Giri), ☎ (0281) 625631. 9.00 AM - 22.00 PM. The best place to try the 'Ayam Penyet' in town. Tasty dishes and easy-on-the-wallet.
- Warung Leko, Jalan Prof. Dr. Suharso (A few meters to the GOR Satria). One of the most famous midrange restaurant chain in town. Delicious and valuable price.
- Iga Bakar Mas Giri, Jalan Prof. Dr. Suharso no. 8 (Just a walk distance to the GOR Satria, across Ayam Penyet Suroboyo). One of the most famous and most visited restaurant in town. Best try for Iga Bakar, tasty and affordable.
- Pecel Lele Lela, Jalan Prof. Dr. Suharso (Just a walk distance to the GOR Satria). The best 'Lele' option in town, with wide varieties of lele dishes.
- Brasil Ice Cream and Coffee, Jalan Letjen. Suprapto no. 25 (Located in the bustling commercial district of Kebon Dalem, close to a number of fabulous department stores), ☎ (0281) 636896 (fax: (021) 6293831 - (021) 6288612). The most well-known ice cream and coffee place in town. Also offers wide varieties of Indonesian cuisines and desserts.
- Rumah Makan Kalibogor, Jalan Yos Sudarso no. 34 (Located in the gateway road from Jakarta or Tegal, approximately 5 minutes drive from the city square), . An old midrange restaurant in town. Best try for Ayam Goreng, delicious and affordable.
- Sae Niki, Jalan Masjid no. 8 (Just a walk distance north from the city square or Alun-Alun). The best Ayam Kampung Goreng option in town. Tasty and affordable.
- Obonk Steak, Jalan HR Bunyamin, Purwokerto City Walk (Across the Jenderal Sudirman University). Strategically located. Also one of the best steakhouse in town.
- Angkringan Tahu Kupat Pa'buaran, Jalan HR Bunyamin (North of Jenderal Sudirman University and Banyumas TV office), ☎ (0281) 627799, . A cafe-style restaurant that offers the beautiful view of rice fields in its surroundings. Also one of the best place to hangout in town.
- Cibiuk, Jalan HR Bunyamin (North of Jenderal Sudirman University, across the F2 Entertainment Center). One of the Sundanese option in town. Famous for sambal cibiuk.
- Phuket, Jalan HR Bunyamin no. 107 (A few meters north of the Jenderal Sudirman University), ☎ (0281) 634505. A newly-built Thai restaurant in town. Available in Jalan HR Bunyamin.
- Pringgading Restaurant, Jalan DI Panjaitan no. 217 (A few meters south Pasar Wage), ☎ (0281) 636372 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A long-time well-known splurge restaurant in town. Plenty of wedding and events held here.
- Kabayan Restaurant, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 520 (right in the downtown, just a walk distance from Tamara Plaza, Rita Pasaraya, and Moro Mall), ☎ (0281) 636633, . A well-known Sundanese restaurant in town. Featuring live music on Saturday and Sunday nights. Also contains a karaoke box.
- Oemah Daun, Jalan KH Wahid Hasyim no. 101 & 103 (South of Andhang Pangrenan Park), ☎ (0281) 635169, . 10.00 AM - 2.00 AM. One of the best venue in town. Modern and chic interior design, wide varieties of dishes, and a perfect place for meeting, wedding, and held events.
- Gubug Makan Mang Engking, Jalan HR Bunyamin (North of Jenderal Sudirman University), ☎ (0281) 630088, . 14.00 AM - 22.00 PM. A luxury Sundanese restaurant, with a touch of garden restaurant with unique Sundanese's gubug design, beautiful ponds, and surrounded by the rice fields.
- MP Steak and Pancake, Jalan MT Haryono (Just a walk distance to Pasar Wage), . 11.00 AM - 23.00 PM. A unique Dutch-style restaurant. Best for steak and pancake.
- Asiatic Restaurant, Jalan HR Bunyamin no. 375 (North of Jenderal Sudirman University), . 9.00 AM - 22.00 PM. A well-known luxury restaurant. Best for Ikan Bakar.
- Lumbung Coffee and Resto, Jalan HR Bunyamin, across the Pabuaran Gas Station (North of the Jenderal Sudirman University). 10.00 AM - 22.00 PM. A perfect coffee place in town. Offers wide varieties of coffee and latte, ice cream, and Balinese cuisine.
- Furama Restaurant, Jalan Dr Angka, Permata Hijau Shophouses (Close to the city's best hotels and entertainment center), . 11.00 AM - 22.00 PM. One of the best splurge restaurant in town with wide varieties of Chinese and Cantonese dishes.
- @lounge, Jalan HR Bunyamin, 2nd floor of Asiatic Restaurant (North of Jenderal Sudirman University), ☎ (0281) 643000, . A newly-built lounge in a strategic place, best for pudding and cake.
- Meteor Cafe, Jalan Jend. Sudirman, Satria Plaza no. 1-2 (Right in the city center, just a walk distance to the business and shopping centers), ☎ (0281) 634234, . 10.00 AM - 22.00 PM. One of the best place in town for hangout, offers Italian, Chinese, Japanese cuisines and snacks.
Wedang ronde is hot ginger drink with gluten rice balls, peanuts, jelly
Kebon Cafe is located at Jatiwinagun street. Good place to hangin around. lot of local musicians there.
- HotelPurwokerto.com, . More info Hotels in Purwokerto
- Hotel Borobudur, Jalan Yosodarmo 32, ☎ +62 281 635341, +62 281 637747.
- Hotel Mulia, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 732 (right in the downtown, close to the market and commercial centers), . Strategically located in the downtown. Just a walk distance to markets, commercial centers, and tourist attractions. Zenith IDR 150,000, Diamond IDR 300,000.
- Hotel Anggrek, Jl. Dr. Suparno no. 100, ☎ (0281) 7606633. clean, quiet 90k-125k.
- Green Valley Resort Baturaden, Jl. Raya Baturaden km.8 Baturaden (8 km to the south to Purwokerto, 6 km to the north to resort-town Baturaden), ☎ +62-281-681123, . A newly-built 3 stars plus resort hotel with beautiful and stunning views of Baturaden.
- Puri Wisata Hotel, Jl. Raya Baturaden (located right in the resort-town of Baturaden, 14 km north of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681331. Nice hotel in Baturaden, just a walk distance to plenty of tourist attractions.
- Hotel Rosenda Cottages, Jl. Raya Baturaden (located right in the resort-town of Baturaden, 14 km north of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681570, . A 3 stars hotel located in Baturaden, foot of Mount Slamet.
- Queen Garden Hotel Baturaden, Jl. Pariwisata Baturaden (located in Baturaden, a cool resort town and only 10 minutes to Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681388, . One of the most famous 3 stars hotel in Baturaden. Offers the cool air of Baturaden and spectacular views of the city of Purwokerto and surrounding areas. Economy IDR 250,000, Suite IDR 1,395,000.
- Wisata Niaga Hotel, Jl. Merdeka no.5 Purwokerto (right in the downtown of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-642333. A modern-minimalist-styled business hotel. The building was formerly used as the branch office of an insurance company. Standard IDR 145,000, family IDR 275,000.
- Astro Hotel Purwokerto, Jl. Suparjo Rustam Km. 4 Sokaraja Purwokerto (about 5 minutes driving south of the downtown), ☎ +62-281-6844107, . checkin: 13.00 pm; checkout: 12.00 pm. We Give You The Real Comfortable Standard IDR 84,000, Deluxe IDR 175,000.
- Atrium Resort & Hotel, Jl. Soepardjo Rustam (Jl. Raya Sokaraja), ☎ +62-281-6844041, . A villa-styled hotel in the main road between Purwokerto and Sokaraja. Five minutes driving from the downtown Purwokerto. Standard IDR 330,000, deluxe IDR 495,000, suite IDR 715,000.
- Aston Imperium Hotel, Jl. Overste Isdiman no. 33 Purwokerto (right in the heart of the city), ☎ +62-281-628000, . A newly-built 12 floors 4 stars plus hotel with modern-contemporary architecture. Also offers Wi-Fi service, gym, pool, restaurants, meeting rooms, and spa. Deluxe IDR 590,000, Suite IDR 900,000.
- Horison Hotel, Jl. Dr. Angka no.71 Purwokerto (about 5 minutes driving north of the downtown, near to the main road to Baturraden), ☎ +62-281-634321, . A three stars comfortable resort-hotel. Standard IDR 440,000, family IDR 660,000k.
- Baturaden is a resort area on the southern slope of Gunung Slamet. Just 14 km from town center. Offers cool climate, hot springs, and nature attractions.
- Mersi, famous for kripik tempe,jenang jaket and many more of other traditional meals.
- Purbalingga, home for the famous Owabong Waterpark, Sanggaluri Park, and Purbayasa River World.
- Sokaraja, a transit town, famous for soto and gethuk goreng.
- Tambak, a district border with Kebumen, 1 hour with bus from the Purwokerto Bus Terminal for Rp 7,000. Tambak offer its famous Sate Bebek outlets along street. Price relatively cheap at Rp 10,000 (US $1)
- Cilacap on the south coast is sleepy fishing port. Growing industry city, such as Pertamina, Portland Cement, and new PLTU (coal energy source for electricity) Karangkandri.