Purwokerto is a sleepy little town located in the Central Java province, Indonesia. It is also a major transportation hub in Java, connecting other major cities in Java, such as Jakarta, Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Surabaya, and Cirebon.
Purwokerto is a town of 300,000 inhabitants. Commonly referred as a cross-road between Jakarta and Yogyakarta. The town is on the foothill of Gunung Slamet volcano, the highest volcano in Central Java. Purwokerto also the main entrance to climb Gunung Slamet. Many of Indonesian famous people originated from Purwokerto, namely Jendral Sudirman, Jendral Gatot Subroto, Soepardjo Roestam etc. Most of those heroic people are honoured as a street name all over Indonesia.
Until today airport in Banyumas area is still in planning process. Military airport in Wirasaba Purbalingga is only a half hour from Purwokerto, capital city of Banyumas.
Nowadays the airport has been being built for commercial flight. From capital city of Jakarta through Sukarno Hatta Airport, you can pass Adi Sucipto Airport (Yogyakarta), Adi Sumarmo Airport (Solo), Tunggul Wulung Airstrip (Cilacap) and Ahmad Yani International Airport (Semarang) and then go through road way.
The bus station is Terminal Bus Purwokerto on 10 hectares area, clean, save and comfort located 4 km to the south of the town center. There are regular services throughout the island, including Jakarta (9 hours) with customer recommended Sinar Jaya bus, Yogyakarta (4 to 5.5 hours) with Raharja and Efisiensi bus, Semarang (6 hours) with Nusantara bus and Bandung (6 to 8 hours) with Budiman and goodwill bus.
The terminal serve for 24 hours.
Trains to Jakarta take between 4 to 9 hours from the main Purwokerto station depend on train class. The Argo-class trains (Argo Lawu and Argo Dwipangga) are the best of the lot: most comfortable and fastest. Taksaka is almost as good. These train also cater for Yogyakarta destination.
there is a complete list of Train Schedule and Cost at 
Purwokerto is a relatively small city, travelling around town should not be too expensive. You may jog around town for 30 minutes.
Traditional three-wheeled pedal-powered carts known as becak can be found in most part of Purwokerto. Haggle furiously.
Although Purwokerto is a small city, travelling around town can be more faster and easier by angkot (a van that carries passengers, very common in Indonesia). Always have direct routes but sometimes can be very crowded. Costs Rp 2500 per person.
Purwokerto has many beautiful buildings and monuments.
- Purwokerto Fly-over, is a well known landmark located in front of train station. The flyover was built in 1967.
- Train Station, a Dutch colonial architecture, many Dutch residential building can be located in front of the train station.
- Museum Bank, located in Jalan Bank, a museum dedicated for R.A. Wiriatmaja who pioneer the Indonesian banking system.
- Baturraden Adventure Forest (BAF), Baturraden (1 km from Queen Garden Hotel), .
- Sport centre: GOR Satria (Jalan Dr Suharso) is known as the largest sport complex in town. Contains a football stadium, tennis courts, reflection park, and a few other venues. Usually, locals visit place in the morning, especially on Sunday.
- Karaoke: One of the most popular entertainment program in town, especially for the locals. Plenty of well-known chains spread throughout the city, such as Inul Vista (Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, close to Pasar Wage), Happy Puppy (Satria Plaza), NAV (Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, across the Satria Plaza), and Happy Family (Cherry Fresh Fruit Market).
- Pool: Another famous entertainment activity in town. There are a few pool places in town, such as Maestro Billiard (Jalan Dr Suharso), and BBC Pool and Billiards (Jalan Dr Angka, Tirta Kembar Amusement Center).
- Clubbing: Cheers! Cafe (Jalan Dr Angka, Dynasty Entertainment Center) is the most-known and the best club in town, also comes with new concept of Cafe - Club - Party. A lot of Indonesian famous singers and bands held their stage here.
The educational institution in Purwokerto:
- Universitas Jenderal Soedirman .
- Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwokerto .
- Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo now STAIN Purwokerto.
The biggest traditional market is Pasar Wage. There are also several small traditional markets, such as Pasar Manis and Pasar Pon.
Boutique and Distro
There are a number of boutique and distro along the HR Bunyamin Street, in the northern part of the city. Mostly visited by the youths and college students.
- Moro Mall, the biggest mall in Purwokerto.
- Sri Ratu now Tamara Plaza, the handphone centre and Gramedia Book Store.
- Rita Pasaraya, the first department store chain in Purwokerto. There are 2 in Purwokerto, one in Kebon Dalem and the other newest one in Jenderal Sudirman Street, close to Moro Mall and Tamara Plaza.
- Matahari Department Store department store and supermarket owned by PT Matahari Putra Prima Tbk.
There are plenty of handcrafts and souvenirs stands in the nearby, Baturaden, a cool resort-town just 14 km to the north.
The following dishes should be on every traveller's agenda:
- Gudeg, a curry of jackfruit, chicken and egg served with rice, and is the most famous local dish. The most famous gudeg seller is in front of Pasar Manis, Jalan Gatot Subroto.
- Mendoan is local food in Purwokerto, from a very slim Tempe (food from a fermented soy bean, very famous food in Java) and covered by dough of wheat flour. Although many places selling Mendoan, the best Mendoan only served in the village. Even though Mendoan sold at city is considerable tasty.
- Sate Kambing Sate Kambing in Purwokerto Area (Banyumas, Sokaraja, Purbalingga) is also famous for very tender young Goat. One of the best is Sate Tiga Saudara.
- Soto Ani, Gen. Sudirman (east from Alun-alun, across Gaya Baru Optik.located in small street behind building). approx 5 to 9 pm. 7k (at sept 09).
- Rumah Makan Cahaya Mas, one of the best chinese food restaurants in town. Moslem must think twice here.
You can visit in Overste Isdiman Purwokerto RM endut is famous with the hainan chicken rice and nasi campur. located on jln. wahid hasim 118 purwokerto. delivery service 0281-7647345
- Serabi Jalan Bank, available early in the morning is a local favourite. The queue is sometimes very long especially during holiday season.
- Soto Jalan Bank, Soto Sungep (also in jalan Bank), Soto Pak Tama (near Rita department store and supermarket, Soto Pak Sampun (at jalan Komisaris Bambang Suprapto), Soto Ani at Gen. Sudirman street; [east from Alun-alun across Gaya Baru Optik. located in small street behind building, open approx 5 to 9 pm].
- Soto Sokaraja, available in Sokaraja, located 4 km west of Purwokerto. Many of Soto Sokaraja in here, conside one of the best is Soto Kecik. The place not so good but very famous. Another famous one (some people consider this soto is better) is Soto Sutri.
- Mie Kelinci III available in HR.Benyamin 2 KM from Limas Agung.
Mendoan can be bought at jalan Sawangan, such as Mirasa, Echo21, etc. You can buy it raw (with separated ingredient) and frying it at home.
- Bakso Pekih, Pekih Street, north of Grand Mosque and City Square. Open 9am - 3pm approx.
- Gethuk Goreng At Sokaraja we also found the famous food called Gethuk Goreng that many shops sell with different kinds of names. It made of cassava and a lot of javanese sugar. And the other food: nopia, mino (small nopia) kripik, and also mendoan.
- Siomay Kuah Segar, Prof Dr Suharso Street, a blend of Indonesian and Japanese restaurant, offers siomay, bakso, and Japanese cuisine such as Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki, Ramen, and Yakimesi.
- Paparon's Pizza, available in Jenderal Sudirman Street. A well-known pizza restaurant.
- Ayam Penyet Suroboyo, available in Prof Dr Suharso Street, offers Javanese Ayam Penyet.
- Leko, Prof Dr Suharso Street, offers tasty Iga Bakar with valuable price.
- Iga Bakar Mas Giri, Prof Dr Suharso Street, one of the most visited restaurant in town.
- Pecel Lele Lela, Prof Dr Suharso Street, wide varieties of Pecel Lele cuisine.
- Brasil, Located in Kebon Dalem, the best ice cream and coffee place in town. Also offers Indonesian cuisine.
- Rumah Makan Kalibogor, Located in Yos Sudarso Street in the western part of the city, best to try the Ayam Goreng.
- Obonk Steak, Located in the Purwokerto City Walk, offers the best steak in town.
- Angkringan Tahu Kupat Pa'buaran, located in Jalan HR Bunyamin. Offers tasty Magelang's tahu kupat.
- Cibiuk, a Sundanese restaurant located in Jalan HR Bunyamin, best for Sambal Cibiuk.
- Phuket, A newly-built Thai restaurant in town. Available in Jalan HR Bunyamin.
- Pringgading, a garden-restaurant located in DI Panjaitan street, offers Indonesian and Chinese cuisine.
- Oemah Daoen, a newly-built garden-restaurant located in Karangklesem, a few meters south of Andhang Pangrenan Park.
- Gubug Makan Mang Engking, a resort-style restaurant, with ponds and rice fields view. Available in Jalan HR Bunyamin.
- MP Steak and Pancake, Unique Dutch-style restaurant, offers steak and pancake. Available in Jalan MT Haryono, close to Pasar Wage.
- Asiatic, Luxury restaurant, valuable price. Located in Jalan HR Bunyamin.
- Furama Restaurant, Chinese restaurant with Cantonese dish. Located in Jalan Dr Angka.
- @lounge, A chic lounge located at the second floor of Asiatic restaurant building.
- Meteor Cafe, one of the best place in town for hangout, offers Italian, Chinese, Japanese cuisines and snacks. Available in Jalan Jenderal Sudirman.
Wedang ronde is hot ginger drink with gluten rice balls, peanuts, jelly
Kebon Cafe is located at Jatiwinagun street. Good place to hangin around. lot of local musicians there.
- HotelPurwokerto.com, . More info Hotels in Purwokerto
- Hotel Borobudur, Jalan Yosodarmo 32, ☎ +62 281 635341, +62 281 637747.
- Hotel Mulia, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 732 (right in the downtown, close to the market and commercial centers), . Strategically located in the downtown. Just a walk distance to markets, commercial centers, and tourist attractions. Zenith IDR 150,000, Diamond IDR 300,000.
- Hotel Anggrek, Jl. Dr. Suparno no. 100, ☎ (0281) 7606633. clean, quiet 90k-125k.
- Green Valley Resort Baturaden, Jl. Raya Baturaden km.8 Baturaden (8 km to the south to Purwokerto, 6 km to the north to resort-town Baturaden), ☎ +62-281-681123, . A newly-built 3 stars plus resort hotel with beautiful and stunning views of Baturaden.
- Puri Wisata Hotel, Jl. Raya Baturaden (located right in the resort-town of Baturaden, 14 km north of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681331. Nice hotel in Baturaden, just a walk distance to plenty of tourist attractions.
- Hotel Rosenda Cottages, Jl. Raya Baturaden (located right in the resort-town of Baturaden, 14 km north of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681570, . A 3 stars hotel located in Baturaden, foot of Mount Slamet.
- Queen Garden Hotel Baturaden, Jl. Pariwisata Baturaden (located in Baturaden, a cool resort town and only 10 minutes to Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681388, . One of the most famous 3 stars hotel in Baturaden. Offers the cool air of Baturaden and spectacular views of the city of Purwokerto and surrounding areas. Economy IDR 250,000, Suite IDR 1,395,000.
- Wisata Niaga Hotel, Jl. Merdeka no.5 Purwokerto (right in the downtown of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-642333. A modern-minimalist-styled business hotel. The building was formerly used as the branch office of an insurance company. Standard IDR 145,000, family IDR 275,000.
- Astro Hotel Purwokerto, Jl. Suparjo Rustam Km. 4 Sokaraja Purwokerto (about 5 minutes driving south of the downtown), ☎ +62-281-6844107, . checkin: 13.00 pm; checkout: 12.00 pm. We Give You The Real Comfortable Standard IDR 84,000, Deluxe IDR 175,000.
- Atrium Resort & Hotel, Jl. Soepardjo Rustam (Jl. Raya Sokaraja), ☎ +62-281-6844041, . A villa-styled hotel in the main road between Purwokerto and Sokaraja. Five minutes driving from the downtown Purwokerto. Standard IDR 330,000, deluxe IDR 495,000, suite IDR 715,000.
- Aston Imperium Hotel, Jl. Overste Isdiman no. 33 Purwokerto (right in the heart of the city), ☎ +62-281-628000, . A newly-built 12 floors 4 stars plus hotel with modern-contemporary architecture. Also offers Wi-Fi service, gym, pool, restaurants, meeting rooms, and spa. Deluxe IDR 590,000, Suite IDR 900,000.
- Horison Hotel, Jl. Dr. Angka no.71 Purwokerto (about 5 minutes driving north of the downtown, near to the main road to Baturraden), ☎ +62-281-634321, . A three stars comfortable resort-hotel. Standard IDR 440,000, family IDR 660,000k.
- Baturaden is a resort area on the southern slope of Gunung Slamet. Just 14 km from town center. Offers cool climate, hot springs, and nature attractions.
- Mersi, famous for kripik tempe,jenang jaket and many more of other traditional meals.
- Purbalingga, home for the famous Owabong Waterpark, Sanggaluri Park, and Purbayasa River World.
- Tambak, a district border with Kebumen, 1 hour with bus from the Purwokerto Bus Terminal for Rp 7,000. Tambak offer its famous Sate Bebek outlets along street. Price relatively cheap at Rp 10,000 (US $1)
- Cilacap on the south coast is sleepy fishing port. Growing industry city, such as Pertamina, Portland Cement, and new PLTU (coal energy source for electricity) Karangkandri.