Punalur (Malayalam: പുനലൂര്, Punalūr) is a city and a municipality in Kerala in India.
Punalur is 45 km northeast of Kollam and 75 km north of Thiruvananthapuram. Punalur Railway Station is on the Kollam-Shencotta railway line. The nearest airport is at Thiruvananthapuram. The Main Eastern Highway (Punalur-Pathanamthitta-Muvattupuzha Road /SH-08) and Kollam-Shengottai Road (NH-208) connects the town to other major towns.
For getting around the services of local taxis and autorickshaws can be availed at economic rates.
- Suspension Bridge, (across the Kallada River). Erected in 1877, is the only one of its kind in south India and it is 400 ft long.
- Thenmala Ecotourism, (21 km away, along Kallada River).
- Palaruvi Water Falls, (15 km away, along Kallada River).
- Achencoil, (80 km from Punalur). An important pilgrim center. Famous for its Sastha temple with a Sastha installed several centuries before the Christian Era.
- Anchal, (13 km south of Punalur). Known for its cattle market.
- Kunnicode, (10 km west of Punalur). Famous as Muslim pilgrim center.
- Jetayu Para, (in the Chadayamangalam village on the M.C road). Huge rock. Legend says Jatayu, the giant bird in the epic Ramayana, fell after failing in its attempt to stop Ravana from taking sita away. Ideal place for trekking.
- Palaruvi Water Falls, (near Aryankavu, on the way to Sencottah). One of the famous waterfall in Kerala.
- Pathanapuram, (on the banks of the Kallada river, 13 km away from Punalur). An old trading center.
- Pattazhi. Famous for its ancient Bhagavathy temple.
- Fishing at Kallada River.
Spices from the local market.
Proper accommodation is hard to find and it is better to visit the place on a day .
K.S.R.T.C buses ply regularly to nearby towns including Adoor and Pathanamthitta and Kottarakara which are all well connected to other parts of Kerala.