Punakaiki is on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island and has the service center for the Paparoa National Park. Best known for the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes.
Approximately 3.5 hours drive north of Fox Glacier.
45 mins from Greymouth
- Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. The Pancake Rocks picturesque and highly identifiable are limestone formations that have been pounded by the Tasman sea for tens of thousands of years. The blowholes funnel blasts water up to 50 feet (15 meters) into the air as the waves crash into the caverns below the rocks.
- Green Kiwi Tours, 0800 47 47 33, 03 731 1024, . Eco and cultural tours; walks, hikes, and caving trips.
- Punakaiki Horse Treks, 64 3 731 1839. Guided two and a half hour treks leaving morning and afternoon. Ride into Punakaiki river valley and Paparoa national park and finish along the beach. NZ$125 per person with a two person minimum for the standard tour, personalized tours for NZ$175. Closed during the winter.
- Pororari River Track.
- Punakaiki Canoes, 03 731 1870, .
- Nature's Tours, Punakaiki Canoes Building (1km North of Punakaiki Information Centre), ☎ +64 37311442, . 8-9. Specialised Guided Tours exploring the coastlines and forests of the Paparoa National Park, Punakaiki, New Zealand. $45-$400. (42.1,171.3332) edit
- Punakaiki Crafts, State Highway 6, 03 731 1813. Co-op owned and featuring changing displays of greenstone, wood, glass, and other materials. Summer, 8:30AM-7PM; Winter, 9AM-5PM.
Punakaiki does not have a proper store so bring your own food from Greymouth or Westport if you want to cook or you are on a budget. All restaurants and cafes are well overpriced. The YHA/BBH hostel and the Campsite sell some basic canned foods and eggs. The hostel is cheaper and they also bake their own bread and muffins daily.
- Punakaiki Cafe, State Highway 6, 03 731 1813.
- Punakaiki Tavern & Bistro, State Highway 6 and Owen Street, 03 731 1188. From 8AM, 7 days.
- Rata Cafe, State Highway 6, 03 731 1151. Views of the sea. Summer, open 7 days; Winter, W-Su.
- Seascape, 03 731 1168. Located on the beachfront with views of the Tasman sea. Opening at 7AM for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Wild Coast Cafe, 03 731 1873. Groceries and liquor also available. 8AM to sunset, seven days.
- Seascape, 03 731 1168. Beachfront bar.
- Havenz Punakaiki, Punakaiki Canoes Building (1km North of Punakaiki Info Centre), 03 731 1442, . Luxury homes and holiday apartments, in the bush or on the beaches.
- Hydrangea Cottages, 03 731 1839, fax 03 731 1838, . 5 cottages set into the rainforest with stunning sea views. Studio and family suites available. NZ$185 - NZ$295 per night for 2 people, more people extra.
- Paparoa Park Motel, 03 731 1883, 0800 72 72 76, . 5 studios, 3 family units. NZ$120 - NZ$150.
- Punakaiki Beach Hostel, 4 Webb St, 03 731 1852, . Tent sites, NZ$14; 5+ bed dorm, NZ$19; 5 or less bed Share, NZ$21; Twin room, NZ$24; Double room, NZ$24; Single room, NZ$35. All prices per person and with BBH discount. If not a BBH member, add NZ$3.
- Punakaiki Cottage Motel, 03 731 1008. Studio and family cottages available.
- Punakaiki Motor Camp, Owen Street, 03 731 1894. Cabins also available.
- Punakaiki Rocks Hotel and Villas, 03 731 1168, 0800 786 2524, . 63 room hotel with luxury eco units, deluxe rooms, and luxury standard rooms.
- Punakaiki Tavern Accommodation, State Highway 6 and Owen Street, 03 731 1188. 9 ensuite studios.
- Te Nikau Retreat, Hartmount Place, 03 731 1111. A hostel just north of town.
- Te Puna Bush Haven, Hartmount Place, 03 731 1141.
- The Beach House, 03 789 7942.
- The Rocks Homestay and Bed & Breakfast, Hartmount Place, 03 731 1141, . 3 ensuite rooms: two queen, one twin. NZ$110 - NZ$175 for double or single occupancy. Evening meals NZ$40 - NZ$50 with extra for wine.
- Tidz In Cottage, 03 789 7286. Two bedroom cottage with kitchen.
- Wave Watchers Retreat, 03 332 0635, . Two bedroom home with kitchen and other features. Approx NZ$250 for first night and NZ$200 for each additional night for two people.
See some more of the sights along the West Coast:
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!