The nearby volcano Villarrica
Pucón  is a small touristy town in the middle of the southern lake district in Chile. Extremely popular both with Chileans and foreigners for its nightlife and the beautiful views of volcan Villarrica. The city center is a backpacker's Disneyland, filled with travel agencies that will offer you any kind of day trips imaginable. If you don't like it crowded, you'll be better off in the nearby town of Villarrica. January and February are the busiest months.
Buses travel between Santiago and Pucón daily, many overnight. Tickets are scarce in summer, buy yours sufficiently ahead of your intended departure time.
You can also take the bus from Valdivia, it takes 3hrs.
Pucón's airport operates only during summer (for regular flights); the flights from Santiago are expensive. The closest airport for the remainder of the year is Temuco, to which airlines do the flight in about one hour from Santiago or Puerto Montt. Temuco is about 1.5 hours away by road.
Trains run to Temuco in summer (Dec-Feb), and only to Chillan rest of the year. Buses are better value.
Driving from Santiago takes approximately eight hours and involves the passing of seven road tolls on the ruta 5, Ch$ 1600 each. The road from the turnoff to Pucón is paved and in good shape.
Mainly Taxis to places out of town, the town itself is small enough to walk. Cycling is easy as they have put in cycle lanes along the main road. There are plenty of collectivo buses too and small public buses.
From Pucon's center there are stunning views of Volcan Villarrica, one of the most active volcanoes in Chile.
- Climbing Volcan Villarrica. Snowcapped Villarrica looms majestically over Pucón at 2,840 meters (9318 feet) above sea level. Climbing to the top is non-technical and, on clear days, easy. Thousands of people make the climb each year, most of them in January and February, taking in the spectacular views of Volcans Llaima, Choshuenco, Quetrupillán, Lanin, and Lonquimay in the horizon. Crampons, ice axe and/or trekking poles and warm windproof clothing are essential equipment year round. To be allowed to climb without a guide you officially need to register with Conaf (in town), have your equipment checked and show proof of membership in a mountaineering organization in your home country. Climbing without permission at peak season would seem to be tricky as (in early 2009 at least) Conaf had people stationed at the top of the ski lift. A very early start would be required to be sure of avoiding them. Most people start from the skiing area, where you can take the ski lift for the first 300 meters. You can also start from near the refugio, at the Mirador Los Craters. From there the climb is longer, but for those carrying skis or snowboards, that means more riding when descending. Getting to the ski area or Mirador Los Craters is easy hitchhiking. Taxis in Pucón will gladly take you there as well. Guided excursions begin early in the morning and will provide equipment and transportation and costs for a cost of around Ch$40 000. Be sure to check how much money you'll get back if the climb is canceled due to bad weather.
- Skiing and snowboarding. The skiing area on Villarrica is open May until the beginning of October. Rent equipment in Pucón, or on the drive up to the ski slope.
- Golf. In "Peninsula", a residencial area downtown, there is a well maintained golf course with views of the Villarrica volcano and the lake surrounding the course. The course is officially for members only.
- Horse back riding. This is a popular way to see the Mapuche settlements like e.g. Quelhue in the area. Tour agencies selling these tours are located all over the town. Check the conditions of the horses, as not all of them in good shape. Rides to "Salto el Claro" are in parts beside paved roads. Trustfull agencies are at Ecole and Politur.
- Hike past the waterfalls and gurgling brooks in the Huerquehue National Park. Doing this will enable you to get to know the strange Araucaria (monkey puzzle) tree, as well as other native vegetation such as Coigües and Lingues. The trails pass view points where you can while away the time namedropping volcanoes and Andean peaks. Bring food and water because you might want to stay the whole day.
- White water rafting and kayaking is a possibility in the glacier-fed Trancura River. Trancura Bajo offers third-degree rapids, good for beginners. Trancura Alto offers fourth-degree rapids and might require a little more courage. Tour agencies in the town will take you there.
- Fishing. Guided fly-fishing excursions are held on the tranquil Río Liucura and the more turbulent Río Trancura. Both rivers offer scenery and trout.
- Visit the Volcanic Caves at Villarrica Volcan.
- Antilco Horse Farm, . They have a couple options to stay in, a guest house that has two separate rooms sleeping a total of five people and a small cabana for two. They are very cosy self catering and slightly out of town, they will come and pick you up. Also outstanding horse riding and trips from there. Getting there is fun, you head over a small bridge on a dust track and then follow the river until you find their property. I would advise a taxi or emailing them for a pick up, which they do pretty much daily at one pm from the town centre.
- Jack Trout Fly Fishing, ☎ 94671995 Cell, . Fly fishing wading and drift boat excursions on the Rio Trancura, Licura, San Pedro & all Lake District rivers since 1993.  . Single day or multiple day guide trips. Has all the fly fishing gear and accepts all major credit cards. email@example.com
- Rumbo Sur 360 Montañismo (Climbing Volcanoes and Mountains), Caupolican 635 Pucon (Colo colo 361), ☎ +56-45-443840, . Great tours and experienced guides for climbing, scaling, reppelling or hiking the mountains and the most spectacular active volcanoes in the south of Chile.
- La Maga, Fresia Street, close to Pucón Square and Church. Mouthwatering Argentinian Barbeque. Book ahead in summer.
- Ecole, Urrutia street, is a good vegetarian restaurant. www.ecole.cl
- Viva Peru, Amazing Peru food - try the fish. Lincoyan 372 Street , phone + 56 45 444025
- Pizza Cala, Lincoyan 361, ☎ +56 45 463 024. Some of the best brick oven pizza in town. Also has a full bar with Int'l TV sports
- Latitude 39, Geronimo de Alderete 324, ☎ 9 743 000 16, . Cool southern Californian couple, Rob and Monica moved to Pucon in 2007 after travelling through in 2004. They set up Latitude in 2008. Great food. Love the Buffalo Wings!! mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mamas and Tapas Bar Restaurant. Great Place, Good Food (TACOS!!!) and Music
Ohiggins 597 Pucon Chile - Fono +56 45-449 002 - mail email@example.com
This is the town's gringo scene, run by a local white water kayaker, snowboarder's and ski
Etnico Eco Hostel Im very pleased to receive you in my hometown and to be able to share with you the natural beauty and magic of Pucon. We are located in a stunning part of the world, surrounded by volcanoes, rivers, lakes, and forests-- all of which make this place so special for nature and outdoor activities lovers.
The staff at Etnico and I want to make sure you have a great time here in Pucon. So we have all the information that you need to plan your winter holidays with us. Here you can find some helpful information about the hostel, as well as a description of the activities we offer. For further information please don t hesitate to get in touch with me. my personal email firstname.lastname@example.org
I look forward your stay with us and to having some winter fun together in Pucon!
- Cabañas Akubra, Fono: 56 45 44191, . Owned by Chilean-born Australians.
- Hostal RumboSur, Colo Colo 361 (2 blocks from TURBUS bus station. From O´Hoggins make a right onto Colo Colo Street, continue 50 meters until the big yellow house), ☎ +56 45 44 38 40, . checkout: 11am. This charming updated farmhouse has views of the mountains and the Villarica Volcano. Walking distance to all popular hot spots,the beach and the bus station. There is an option for private suites for families or groups, or spacious dormitory style rooms, all have comfortable ex-long warm beds and central heating for the cold winter nights. hostalrumbosur.blogspot.com CP$9,000+.
- Hotel Antumalal . Said to be "an experience".
- Hotel y Cabañas Kernayel, Av. Camino Internacional 1395 Fono/Fax: (56-45) 44 21 64 - 44 30 52, . Nice place for a nice price. The "cabañas" are really great.
- La Bicicleta, Palguin 361,Pucon, ☎ 56 45 44 45 83. Owned by friendly Chilean Jose. Nice relaxing with wooden decks and views of volcano. Central, close to O'Higgins street. Choice of doubles, singles and dorms. 10,000 peso ppn.
- Paradise Pucon Hostel  Colo Colo 92 +5645443733 This lovely little hostel is in a quiet neighborhood just a short walk to town, so you can rest peacefully without but still be close to all the fun and activities in the center, not to mention bar and restaurants. Lots of common space, including a cozy fireplace for winter and hammock for the summer, this hostel offers great, personalized service, helpful staff, and affordable rates. The friendly staff can help you arrange any adventure you want!
- Portal Pucon, . Excellent place with views of the lake for an excellent price (2 bedroom 1 bath "cabañas" for ~ $72US a night.
- Hostal el Refugio, 540 Palguin (Opposite Pullman Bus Terminal), ☎ 045 441596, . Dorm CP6,000 ppn/ Double CP7,000 ppn. This warm and friendly hostel is a great option for those on a budget. It is an excellent place for meeting other travelers as a result of the inviting communal areas. With facilities including a well equipped kitchen, several fireplaces, free internet as well as tea and coffee all day, this place is superb value for money. The owners and staff are extraordinarily friendly and a wealth of information. Both dorms and privates (even one with private fireplace). Good choice.
- DOME, KM 7 Pucon - Villarrica, ☎ 56 9 78784684, . Live your holiday in a dome. 3 to 4 persons, full equipped. Peace and harmony. 100 meters from the lake email@example.com. Facebook: "ruka domo" US $ 160.
- DOME, KM 9 Pucon - Villarrica (firstname.lastname@example.org), ☎ 56 9 78784684. Dome House, peace and tranquility, 3 to 4 persons, 3 to 4 persons fully equipped. email@example.com face book: "ruka domo"
Should Pucon start to feel a bit too touristy, hop on a mini bus and make the 20 minute trip to the little city of Villarrica. It has a population of about 46 000 and escapes the tourist trappings of Pucon.
Market in Villarrica Chile