| || |
| || |
Revision as of 07:15, 26 December 2012
View of Krom (Pskov's kremlin)
Pskov is the largest city and administrative capital of Pskov Oblast.
Pskov is located 20 km from the Estonian border.
The name of the city, originally spelled "Pleskov", may be loosely translated as "[the town] of purling waters". Its earliest mention comes in 903, which records that Igor of Kiev married a local lady, St. Olga.
Pskov Airport (Аэропорт Псков) (IATA: PKV) have flights from Moscow Domodedovo airport three days a week, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday . As of August 2012 the lowest fare is 1800 RUB.
From Saint Petersburg
There are two daily long-distance trains departing from Saint Petersburg's Vitebskii Station bound to Lithuania and Latvia which make a stop in Pskov. Both of the trains depart from Saint Petersburg in the evening and arrive around midnight so be sure to warn your hotel that you will check-in late.
Also there is a commuter train (elektrichka) departing from Baltiskii Station six days a week (no schedule on Tuesdays). The train departs at 7:25AM and arrives to Pskov at 11:30AM, this train usually has a lot of passengers so if you want to have a seat by the window (or any seat at all, for that matter) make sure to arrive beforehand. As of August 2012 the ticket costs 464 RUB.
A daily night train leaves Moscow each evening at 4:55PM from the Leningradsky station and arrives to Pskov the next day at 7:30AM.
There are two daily commuter trains and also the commuter train and both long-distance trains from Saint Petersburg make a stop in Luga
A long-distance train departs from Minsk two times a week, on Monday and Thursday.
Daily train from Riga to Saint Petersburg makes a stop in Pskov.
Daily train from Vilnius to Saint Petersburg makes a stop in Pskov.
There are several daily bus routes from Saint Petersburg. The travel times given below are according to schedule, and of course they are subject to change due to road work and weather conditions.
- From bus station №2 you can ride on one of the serveral long-distance buses which make a stop in Pskov. The cost of the ticket is 420 RUB as of August 2012. The travel time is around 5 hours and 20 minutes. The bus staion is locates at Nberezhnaya Obvodnogo Kanala, 36 close to Obvodny Kanal metro station.
- There is a dedicated bus service between Saint Petersburg and Pskov run by a company located in Pskov . Tickes must be booked in advance by phone call or through the web-site and the price is 500 RUB as of August 2012. The buses depart from Park Inn Pulkovskaya hotel, located close to Moskovskaya metro station. The travel time is 4 hours.
- Ecolines operates two routes to Pskov. The buses depart from Vitebskii train station, close to Pushkinskaya metro station, Ecolines office is located there as well. The travel time is around 5 hours.
When driving, Pskov is along the M20 highway, linking Saint Petersburg with the border to Belarus.
- Estonia (Pskov office of the General Consulate of Estonia), Narodnaya street, 25, ☎ +7 (8112) 725-380 (Consulate.Pskov@mfa.ee, fax: +7 (8112) 725-381).
- Latvia, Narodnaya street, 25, ☎ +7 (8112) 720-237, 741-052 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +7 (8112) 724-056). Mon-Fri, 9-30AM - 4PM.
- Netherlands (Representation at the Consulate of Estonia), Narodnaya street, 25, ☎ +7 (8112) 725-380 (Consulate.Pskov@mfa.ee, fax: +7 (8112) 725-381).
- France and Slovenia (French and Slovenian visa service provided by the Consulate of Latvia), Narodnaya street, 25, ☎ +7 (8112) 720-237, 741-052 (email@example.com, fax: +7 (8112) 724-056). Mon-Fri, 9-30AM - 4PM.