The main attraction in Praia do Forte is the "Projeto Tamar" turtle sanctuary . The sanctuary has pools where you can see several varieties of turtle and various kinds of fish and is worth a visit. Entry fee is 7 reais. The town of Praia do Forte seems to exist mainly for tourists to buy turtle-themed items but it is a nice area and there are several pousadas and apartments that can be rented for longer periods.
Lighthouse from the beach at Praia do Forte
Praia do Forte is 1.5 - 2 hrs on a bus from Salvador.
You can get the bus from Calçada (near the bottom of the Lacerda lift) or from the rodoviária (bus station). The bus costs 6.5 reais (may 2006).
- From where the bus drops you off, you can walk anywhere in town. The path to the beach and to Projeto Tamar is lined with shops and restaurants.
- Projeto Tamar is a successful environmental project designed to save the sea turtles in Praia do Forte. The project is located in a protected area of the Atlantic Forest.
A Turtle in a tank at Projeto Tamar
- Shopping - There are many shops that sell bikinis, t-shirts and other turtle themed souvenirs.
- The Beach - The beach is very nice. When the tide is out there are tide pools that are full of sea life. Farther down on the beach, past Projeto Tamar there is a great place for swimming. There are a lot of fish and you don't even need a snorkel and mask to see them. After seeing Projeto Tamar, spend the rest of the day relaxing on the beach, swimming in the ocean or exploring the tide pools. It's not uncommon to see a whale surface past the breaking waves.
- Praia do Forte Eco Resort, (500m before you get to the village of Praia do Forte), . Expensive resort but one of the nicest in Brazil. Lots of things to do, many with an ecological orientation. On the beach, lots of space and many nearby walks. Popular with birdwatchers. Excellent club for children up to 11. Vast quantities of food at breakfast and dinner buffets. US$370 for a double inc. breakfast, dinner and most activities. If you have flexibility try negotiating by phone when you arrive in Brazil..