Revision as of 14:44, 3 April 2013
Poughkeepsie is the name of both a township and a city in Dutchess County in New York's Hudson Valley.
- Stewart International Airport, 1180 First St, New Windsor, +1 845 564-2100, . The closest major airport, but at present offers few direct flights to major destinations.
- Westchester County Airport, 240 Airport Road, White Plains, +1 914 995-4860 (airlines), . Two counties away, but an alternative to the congestion of the 3 major international airports around New York City. Rental cars available.
- Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark, New Jersey, , John F. Kennedy International Airport , and LaGuardia Airport : Livery cars offer service to and from 3 major international airports. It is possible in a convoluted sort of way to get to and from JFK via Metro-North Railroad and New York City Transit.
- Metro-North Railroad - Hudson line, . This is the last station stop on Hudson Line commuter trains out of New York City. Express service between Poughkeepsie and Grand Central Terminal is about 1 hour and 20 minutes, local service considerably longer. Local service is also available to other Metro-North commuter stations. On-board train fares are subject to a stiff surcharge, so buy your tickets at the vending machines located on the platform. On trains departing from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, get a seat on the left side of the train. Opposite Yonkers and Hastings-on-Hudson you will be treated to great views of the sheer cliffs of the Palisades and between Cold Spring and Beacon you will get a glimpse of Bannerman Castle on an island offshore.
- Amtrak, . Almost all of Amtrak's long-distance trains stop at Metro-North's Poughkeepsie station.
- Locust Grove, 2683 South Rd, ☎ +1 845 454-4500, . T. House tours daily 10AM-3PM, May 1-Nov 30. Closed major holidays. The former estate of Samuel F. B. Morse, whose patent of the electromagnetic telegraph revolutionized human communication. Set on 150 acres, the Italianate villa was designed by architect Alexander Jackson Davis Adults $9, youth (6-18) $5..
- Walkway over the Hudson, (Entrance on Parker Ave in Poughkeepsie), ☎ +1 845 454 9649. Open from 7 a.m. to sunset 7 days a week. Dogs Allowed, Handicap Accessible. The Bridge connects Poughkeepsie to Highland and it has a long history; it was built in 1888 as a railroad bridge, and it caught fire in 1974 and was too expensive to tear down. Today it is the largest pedestrian park in the world. Being 212 feet over the Hudson River it gives you a great view of the sunset and the skyline of Poughkeepsie and Highland.</do> * Bardavon Opera House, 35 Market St, ☎ +1 845 473 5288. Box office: +1 845 472 2072 (fax: +1 845 472 4259), . The Bardavon was established in 1869, and now takes part in many legendary musical performances. Closed for the summers, reopens in September, prices varied, accepts all major credit cards, personal checks, cash, and gift cards. *Casperkill Golf Club, 2320 South Rd./ Rt.9, ☎ +1 845 463 0900, . Dawn until Dusk Open all year, weather permitting. Casperkill Golf Club is an 18 hold Championship golf course includes lessons, putting green, driving range, and pro-golf shop. call for rates and reserve online. *Mid-Hudson Children's Museum, 75 North Water St., ☎ +1 845 471 0589, . Tuesday-Friday 9:30-5:00 p.m. Saturday-Sunday 11:00-5:00p.m. The Mid-Hudson Children's Museum is an interactive, hands-on museum with a variety of different exhibits all focused on Hudson Valley heritage, technology, and science. For children up to age 12. *Bananas Comedy Club, Mercury Grand Hotel 2170 Rt. 9, ☎ +1 845 462 3333, . Friday opens at 9:00p.m. Saturday opens at 8:00p.m.-10:30p.m.. Bananas Comedy Club includes top comedians from television, movies, Atlantic City, and Las Vegas. Dinner and overnight packages available. $12 on Friday $15 on Saturday and Sunday. ==Understand== ==Learn== * <see name="Vassar College" alt="" address="124 Raymond Avenue" directions="" phone="+1 845 437-7300" email="" fax="" url="http://www.vassar.edu" hours="" price="">Founded in 1861, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Consistently ranked among the top liberal arts colleges in the country, Vassar is renowned for pioneering achievements in education, for its long history of curricular innovation, and for the beauty of its campus. Especially noteworthy is the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center, which has ancient, medieval, Asian, European and American art and objects, well worth a visit. The Center is free to visit; open Tuesday through Saturday, 10AM-5PM; Sundays, 1PM to 5PM. Closed Mondays. The grounds of the college are quite lovely (in good weather); the campus is maintained as an arboretum, with more than 200 varieties of trees on 1,000 acres.
The downtown Poughkeepsie mall row is a designated National Historic Sight
- The Culinary Institute of America, 433 Albany Post Rd, Hyde Park, NY, ☎ +1 845 471-6608 (reservation line), . Three are open Monday through Friday, two are open Tuesday through Saturday. Five restaurants operated by students and faculty: American Bounty (regional American, features Hudson Valley ingredients), Apple Pie Bakery Café (bakery and pastry), Ristorante Caterina de' Medici (Italian), St. Andrew's Café (casual, family-friendly), and Escoffier Restaurant (French). Be sure to make reservations in advance.
- The Eveready Diner, 4189 Albany Post Rd/ Rt. 9 North, Hyde Park, NY, ☎ +1 845 229-8100 (fax: +1 845 229 8147). Open 7 days a week. Great Classic American Food, Friendly staff, friendly neighbors. Featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.
- Shadows on the Hudson, 176 Rinaldi Blvd, ☎ +1 845 486 9500 (fax: +1 845 486 9501), . M-Th 11:30AM-10PM (Cocktails until 11PM), F-Sa 11:30AM-11PM (cocktails until 2AM), Su Brunch 11AM-2PM,Lunch & Dinner 1PM-9PM. Located on the riverfront, this modern restaurant is also a bar, outside seating, great views, great food, a little fancier than casual dress.
- Cosimos Trattoria, 120 Delafield St., ☎ +1 845 485 7172. Brick Oven Pizza, reservations for over seven, outdoor seating available, near the riverfront,underneith the Walkway on the Hudson. Easy access from Route 9.
- Rossi's Deli, 45 S Clover St., ☎ +1 845 471 0654. Amazing deli. Paninis are reasonably priced and all ingredients are fresh as can be. A favorite among Marist students. The line is out the door on Saturday and Sunday mornings so plan accordingly.
- Darby O'Gills, 493 Albany Post Rd, Hyde Park, NY, ☎ +1 845 229 6662. An Irish Bar and Restaurant. Casual dress, cheap drinks, great food but service is a little slow.
- Mahoney's Irish Pub & Restaurant, 35 Main St, ☎ +1 845 471 3027. Daily 11AM-4PM.
- Hobnobbin Pub, 11 Vassar Rd, ☎ +1 845 462 6810. Great food, be sure to try their Chicken Wings.
- Noah's Ark, 135 Mill St, ☎ +1 845 486-9295, . Popular with upperclass students and 20-something locals for its happy hour, half price drinks on Thursdays 6PM-7:30PM, half price drinks and buffet on Fridays 6PM-7:30PM. The buffet normally consists of buffalo chicken wings and pasta.
A small Inn in Poughkeepsie during fall
- Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, 2750 South Rd., ☎ +1 845 473-1151, . checkin: 26-Mar; checkout: 29-Mar. Offers complimentary shuttle service within 5 miles, complimentary hot breakfast, pool, fitness center, and business center. Visit hotel website for current specials and packages.
- Clarion Hotel, 2170 South Road, ☎ +1 845 462-4600 (fax: +1 845 462-3228).
- Courtyard Poughkeepsie, 2641 South Road/Route 9, ☎ +1 845 485-6336 (fax: +1 845 485-6514), .
- Residence Inn Poughkeepsie, 2525 South Rd, ☎ +1 845 463-4343 (toll free: +1 800 331-3131, fax: +1 845 463-4344), .
- Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel, 40 Civic Center Plaza, ☎ +1 845 485-5300 (fax: +1 845 485 4720), .
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
WikiPedia:Poughkeepsie (city), New York