| || |
| || |
Revision as of 20:49, 12 September 2006
Portree is the "capital" town of the Isle of Skye, Scotland.
Several coaches a day run to Fort William, Inverness and Glasgow.
Frequent local buses serve all the other towns on Skye. Principal destinations include: Broadford, Kyleakin, Kyle of Lochalsh (actually just over the bridge on the mainland) and Uig. It is easier to reach Armadale by changing buses in Broadford.
The main road runs from the Skye Bridge at Kyleakin through Broadford to Portree.
Portree is a small town - almost everything is only 5 minutes walk away. You may want to take a bus to the Co-op supremarket on the edge of town.
- The Harbour - the pretty harbour and shingle beach are worth a visit, with attractive hills sheltering the bay from the sea.
- Skye Scene Highland Ceilidh (held at Tigh Na Sgire, off Somerled Square) is an evening showcasing local history, music and traditions. Call 01470 542228 to reserve tickets (Adults £6/Concession £5/Children under 10 £4). http://www.skyescene.co.uk/
- For food for self-catering or Youth Hostelling, there is a small Tesco in the town centre and Co-op on the edge of town.
- There are several interesting craft shops
A great B and B is called Sidhoen Dubha, located on staffin rd. 26 pounds per person, excellent location, quiet, gorgeous, clean, cosy, and a great full scottish breakfast. ph: 01478 611820
- Visit the nearby Old Man of Storr or Trotternish Peninsula.