Colourful colonial era homes along the port street & the typical rent-a-car for the region.
Porto Seguro is in the southern part of the Brazillian state of Bahia. The region possesses amazing beaches and preserved areas of Mata Atlântica, an original tropical jungle found by the Portuguese discoverers in the year 1500.
Countless magnificent beaches dot the Brazilian Discovery Coast
nearby Porto Seguro.
- Porto Seguro Airport (IATA: BPS).
If you are already in Brazil, it is cheaper to take a bus from a major city than to fly. You can take a bus from Salvador. It is an overnight bus ride that takes around 12 hours.
Relaxing atmosphere, wonderful nightlife, manicured streets & boutiques comparable to Mediterranean resort towns are all within reach.
If you are staying in the down town area, you can walk most places. You can actually walk down the hill from the bus station to down town. If you are unfamiliar with the city and have bags, it's better to get a taxi.
If you book tours, they will provide transportation. There is also a bus system if you want to get out of down town. To see Arraial d’Ajuda, take the ferry across the river and take a bus to Arraial.
There are numerous reputable buggy rental companies with offices around the centre of town. Prices range from 60-80 BRL per day.
Steer well clear of the car rental company Terra Matter. Their buggies are very poorly maintained. In the case of a breakdown, they offer absolutely no compensation.
- Replica of Pedro Alvares Cabral's Ship You can walk there from down town. It's North of down town on the beach. If it's closed, you can see all you really need to see from the beach.
One of the oldest churches in Brazil, in the Historical Center of Porto Seguro.
- Historic City - Up the hill near the bus station is a historic area that has some of the first houses and churches the Portuguese built in Brazil. There are local "guides" that stand at the top of the stairs and give decent tours of the historic city but it's tough to find one who speaks english.
- Recife de Fora - This is a very popular tour. During low tide, the tour guides will take you out to the reef so you can see the sea life in the reef. Be aware that in the tour they have you stand on the reef which kills the reef. This tour is not recommended because by taking the tour, you are contributing to the destruction of the reef.
- Arraial d’Ajuda Eco Parque - This water park is across the river from Porto Seguro in Arraial d'Ajuda. Be sure to check the operating hours before you take a trip across the river. On the off season, they are not open every day.
- Praia do Espelho - Curuípe has one of the best rated beaches in all of the country. Don't forget to stop at the indigenous village and see the sloths on the way.
Although Porto Seguro is not a diving destination, you can go diving here. Most dive trips are around Recife de Fora at a shallow depth (max. 8 m). Visibility is rather poor at only a few meters.
- Aqua Planet, Rua do Cais, nº 69, ☎ (22) 2647-5375 (email@example.com), . Dive center with good equipment and bilingual instructor (Lobo). Offers trips to the recife for certified divers and non divers (baptismo). R$110.
Porto Seguro's nightlife is one of the most popular attractions for young people.
- The Cheiro Verde Inn Mucugê Street, 448 Arraial - Porto Seguro - Bahia - Brazil. Pousada Cheiro Verde is located in the center of Arraial d'Ajuda on the famous road (street) Mucugê, "The most charming street in Brazil." Near-far from the noise and bustle, the hostel is just 200m from the beach Mucugê. Visit our website at http://www.cheiroverde.com.br
- Terra Brasil. Nice hotel with a rooftop pool with bar and sauna. Nice clean rooms with refrigerator and balcony with hammock. Breakfast is included and is amazing.
- Arraial d'Ajuda, or simply Arraial, is a small town south of Porto Seguro. You can get there by crossing the river on the ferry and taking a quick bus ride. It is also included in many of the tour packages.
- Trancoso - The easiest way to get to Trancoso is to take a tour. If you want to explore on your own, you can rent a car and drive there. The beach in Trancoso is beautiful.