Port Jefferson is a village in Suffolk County in the state of New York.
The Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson is a historical village located in the town of Brookhaven. Prior to becoming a popular tourist spot, the Village was the largest shipbuilding center in Suffolk County in the 1800’s, The Village was incorporated in 1963 and since then it has grown into a place where good food, friendly people, and water front views can be found.
You can enter the village by driving off The Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Steamboat Company Ferry from Bridgeport Connecticut.
The address for the ferry in Bridgeport is:
330 Water St # 2
Bridgeport, CT 06604-4923
The address for the ferry in Port Jeff is:
102 West Broadway
Port Jefferson, NY 11777
From the Long Island Expressway take Exit 64. Head North on Rte. 112
until the end (approx. 9 miles). Also be take note that Rte. 112 will become Rte. 25A at Nesconset Hwy. When you hit the intersection take a right at the blinking yellow light. Continue and until you hit Main St.
The Village is home to mostly foot traffic. To really see the unique shops and restaurants its best to ditch the car for the day and get out and walk around. But be aware in the spring and summer the village is full of visitors due to the warm weather, so it makes parking very limited. It’s best to arrive earlier in the day to beat the traffic.
- Theatre Three. Is a not-for-profit professional regional theatre that was founded in 1969, located in Athena Hall, a 140-year-old historic building on Main Street. Every year the Theatre has a Main Stage season of seven big productions, Second Stage season of small plays, Cabernet & Comedy night, and is home to a Children’s Theatre program. Acting classes are offered and tickets can be found online. What the theatre lacks in size it makes up for in talent.
- Mather House Museum. Is the headquarters of The Historical Society of Great Port Jefferson for most of the year but during July and August the House is open to the public to view the small museum. Within the museum is the Mather House, craft house & museum shop, country store, marine barn & sail loft, tool shed, and the spinney clock museum. Each building holds a collection of antiques from the original village in the 1800’s. It is an informational tour for the curious local or uneducated tourist.
- Harborfront Park. Is a popular place to enjoy the view of the Long Island Sound. The park is made up of a grassy dune lined with benches, picnic tables, and a play area for the kids. At the heart of the park is the Landmark Sculpture of four seamen holding the bones of a ship above their heads.
- Port Jazz, 201 Main St # C Port Jefferson, NY 1177, ☎ (631) 476-7600, . Open Fri 8pm-4am; Sat 8pm-2am; also open Sun. Port Jazz is an upbeat nightclub that features live entertainment Thursday through Saturday night for the older generations. The entertainment keeps the crowd pleased and the people dancing, making for a great night on the town.
- Rocket Ship Park. is a safe fenced in playground area for the younger kids. The park offers two swing sets, a larger jungle gym for the energetic toddlers, and a smaller jungle gym for the babies, public basketball courts, and public tennis courts. The park closes at dusk, which is strongly enforced by the local police.
- Skating on the Harbor (local or alternative name), 101-A East Broadway Port Jefferson, NY 11777, ☎ (631) 403-4357. Skating on the Harbor is offered seven days a week from mid November to mid March by the Port Jefferson Village center in Harborfront Park. The outside rink is open for lessons and the public. This is a hot spot for bored local teens at night, and family bonding during the day. Skates rentals are offered. .
- Fetch, Ste B, 301 E Main St Port Jefferson, NY 11777-1873, ☎ (631) 331-0965, . Tues - Sat 11-6pm Fri 11-7 pm Sun 12-5pm. Fetch is a gourmet doggie bakery and boutique. This creative shop offers an extensive amount of all natural doggie treats, and trendy dog and cat care products. Some of the proceeds go towards pet friendly organizations.
- Gap, 100 Arden Place, Port Jefferson, NY 11777, ☎ (631) 474-5116, . Gap is an all American casual clothing store that offers Women’s, Men’s, and Children’s apparel.
- Lainie’s Way (local or alternative name), 109 Main St Port Jefferson, NY 11777, ☎ (631) 474-5558, . Open 7 days a week, 10 AM to 7 PM. Lainie's Way is an educational games, puzzles, and kite shop. Inside the shop many of the games are on display for kids to test out and enjoy.
- Not Too Shabby, 12 Chandler Square Port Jefferson, NY, ☎ (631) 828-4269. Open Thu,Sun 12pm-5pm; Fri-Sat 12pm-6pm. Not To Shabby is a local thrift store that offers a large selection of “gently used” clothing for men and women. Along with clothing they sell an assortment of jewelry and house hold knick-knacks.
- The Steam Room, 4 East Broadway
Port Jefferson, NY 11777, ☎ (631) 928-6690, . Open Mon-Thu,Sun 10am-9pm; Fri-Sat 10am-11pm. The Steam Room is a restaurant that offers casual dining fresh seafood, burgers, sandwiches, homemade soups and salads. Open for lunch and dinner with the choice of seating inside, outside, or by the fire in the winter months. Occasionally live bands play Friday and Saturday nights. .
- Toast Coffeehouse, 242 East Main Street Port Jefferson, NY 11777, ☎ (631) 331 - 6860, . Breakfast & Lunch Mon - Thurs: 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Fri - Sun: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Breakfast is served till 3 pm everyday. Fondue & Tapas Thurs - Sat: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am. Toast Coffee House is a small, funky local café that offers an original breakfast and lunch menu weekly with assorted Fondue flavors and Tapas offered Friday and Saturday nights. Each month the coffeehouse rotates the art on its walls to feature different local artist’s making the atmosphere fresh and entertaining. Because this Coffeehouse is so small and so popular it makes the wait for a table unbearable on weekend mornings. Toast has been reviewed by The New York Times, and in 2008 was voted Best Breakfast on Long Island by AOL City’s Best.
- Z-Pita, 217 Main St Port Jefferson, NY 11777, ☎ (631) 476 - 7510, . open 7 days a week. Z-Pita is a Mediterranean style restaurant that offers a selection of seafood, Greek, and Italian dishes. Fondue is also served seven nights a week, cheese or chocolate. Open for brunch lunch and dinner this restaurant, can cater an event or host a small party. The space is tight and can sometimes get crowded and loud when trying to have an “intimate dinner.”
- Tiger Lily Café, 156 East Main Street
Port Jefferson, NY 11777
, ☎ (631) 476 7080, . open daily Fall & Winter Hours Everyday 11am - 5pm. Tiger Lilly Cafe is a healthy vegetarian/non vegetarian international cuisine café with an artistic vibe and limited seating. Their menu is full of original recipes such as wraps, sandwiches, salads, soups, fruit smoothies, soy smoothies, juices, energy shakes, and an espresso & java bar. Along with offering vegetarian selections they offer daily gluten free specials. In 2008-2009 Tiger Lily Café was rated number one Vegetarian on Long Island by AOL City’s Best
- Tommy’s Place, 109 Main St, Port Jefferson, NY 11777, ☎ (631) 473-8778, . Happy Hour M-F 3-7pm. Tommy's Place is a local bar and restaurant where college kids like to spend their Friday nights. Weekends the bar gets very crowded and very loud. Locals complain of over priced drinks and slow service.
- Tara Inn, 1519 Main St, Port Jefferson, NY 11777, ☎ (631) 473-9602. Tara Inn is a bar and grill where you can find the local’s on St Patrick’s day or a Saturday night with friends. Good prices on food and drinks.
- The New Heritage Inn, 201 West Broadway Port, ☎ +1-631-473-2499. Is a small Inn open 24/7 that offers 46 rooms with a list of basic amenities. This is not a luxurious hotel but a nice clean place to stay for a night or two.
- Danfords Inn, 25 East Broadway, ☎ +1-800-332-6367. Is a larger Inn featuring 85 guest rooms and suites some with harbor views. Along with a variety of rooms this Inn offers different dinning, entertainment, and conference facilities used for parties, gatherings, and weddings. This inn also offers marina access. This is a respectable Inn with clean comfortable rooms.
For more information and question contact:
Village of Port Jefferson
121 West Broadway Port Jefferson, NY 11777
Main Office: 473-4724, Fax: 473-8799
Recreation Office: 802-2160, Fax: 802-2164
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!