Port Alfred is a town on the Sunshine Coast of the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. It is situated at the mouth of the Kowie River, almost exactly midway between Port Elizabeth in the west and East London in the east. It boasts fabulous beaches that stretch for many kilometres in both directions.
From Port Elizabeth take the N2 east then the R72 along the coast via Kenton.
From East London take the R72 south-west along the coast.
From Grahamstown take the R67 south via Bathurst.
Port Alfred is small enough that the entire town can easily be covered on foot. It is a pleasant walk from town along the west bank of the Kowie River to the beach (via Causeway and Beach Road). There are beaches on the eastern side of the Kowie River mouth as well but these are quite a bit further as you have to walk around the Royal Alfred Marina.
- Kowie Museum, ☎ +27 (0)82 433 5662.
- The Great Fish Point Lighthouse, ☎ +27 (0) 46 675 1067.
- Kap River Nature Reserve, ☎ +27 (0) 46 624 1140.
- Halyards Boats, ☎ +27 (0) 46 604 3300.
- Boat Registrations, ☎ +27 (0) 46 624 4587.
- Kowie River Cruises, ☎ +27 (0) 46 624 1727.
- Let’s Go Cruises, ☎ +27 (0) 46 624 1866.
- Lightleys Holiday House Boat, ☎ +27 (0) 44 386 0007.
- Predator Charters, ☎ +27 (0) 82 495 9971. Deep sea charters
- Outdoor Focus, ☎ +27 (0) 46 624 4432.
- Kowie Canoe Trail, ☎ +27 (0) 46 624 4432. 1-3 day trail
Fishing - Whether you prefer reef, river, estuary, deep sea or coastal fishing, there are plenty of incredible locations within the Sunshine Coast
to choose from. Port Alfred is famous for having the distinction of
being the third largest “line fishing port” in South Africa.
Diving - The shores of the Sunshine Coast are host to the most unique diving
experience in the Eastern Cape. This part of the coast is famous for
soft coral reefs, numerous wrecks that dot the shores and the incredible
“Lunar landing” where crayfish in the hundreds live and breed.
- The Boardwalk Restaurant & Bar, The Anchorage, Gluckman Rd, ☎ +27( 46) 624 5778. The locals' favourite - beautiful setting on Demper's Lagoon. Excellent food and laidback atmosphere.