Porlamar is a city in Venezuela's Margarita Island.
Porlamar is about a 30 minute drive from Margarita's Santiago Marino International Airport, via a fast highway.
Car rentals are available in Porlamar as well as in other parts of the island including at the airport and Playa El Yaque. Ensure that you thoroughly check the credentials of any rental agencies and ensure that they are licensed, have readily accessible office and an office contact number. Also ensure that you fully check the vehicle for any pre-existing damage including all lower body panels, the roof, and all window glass, before you sign the contract with any rental provider.
- Losan Motors-Isla de Margarita, Main office Porlamar, ☎ +58 295 263 9420, +58 295 269 1075. 8AM-12PM. then 2:PM-6PM. A car dealership that offers rentals.
- M and M Tours, Av Santiago Marino, edif.Blue Sky Piso1, Local1-2 Polamar, ☎ +58 295 872 2408, +58 426 586 0415, +58 414 785 6315, +58 412 210 7891 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Late model cars 2007-2010
Scooter motorbike and moped hire
- Excellency Rent a Car, Porlamar, Hotel Dynasty Best Western - PB Costa Azul, ☎ +58 295 262 6503, +58 295 262 2955. Motorbikes and scooters are available for around $20 to $35 per day, also offer 6-12mth car leases.
The principal commercial sectors are the Boulevards Gomez and Guevara and Avenida Santiago Mariño and Avenida 4 de Mayo in Porlamar and Calle La Marina in Juangriego.
If you like shopping, you might be happy to know that Margarita is a 'free port': you don't pay the Venezuela value added tax there. That is one reason why Venezuelans from the mainland like to go there - it's not only a beach destination for them but also a superb shopping place. Due to the tourism, Porlamar is full of shops and stores. Clothing is especially easy to find. You can choose from elegant to the casual and cheap.
The island also has several shopping malls, for example Jumbo in the very center of Porlamar, Centro Comercial AB towards Pampatar, Centro Comercial La Redoma, Sigo just west of Porlamar, and a recently built huge and elegant mall Sambil.
In the largest supermarkets Central Madeirense (CM), Sigo Supermarket, or UniCasa you will find large selections, comfortable grocery shopping, good quality fruits and vegetables, deli sections and freshly baked bread. There are also lots and lots of smaller supermarkets distributed throughout the districts of Polamar.
Learn Spanish, or pick up the first words necessary to get around while on the island.
- Academia Peter, . Owned and run by the teachers. You can do a tandem language course, teaching English or German in the time you take a Spanish course. On their site you'll find some spoken examples of Spanish.
- Sambil Mall Food Court, Sambil Mall (between Avenida Bolívar, Jovito Villalba and Main Street of San Lorenzo, very close to the entrance of the nearby town of Pampatar), . 11AM until 9PM. The food court has something for just about everyone. There are well know American franchises such as KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, as well as more interesting local and international foods available within this foodcourt. Everyone in your group can dine on something different while eating together as a group.
- Dolphin Restaurant, Avenida Aldonza Manrique (in the Playa El Angel section outside of Pampatar), ☎ 58 295 262 1662. Hours vary by season. Italian, seafood and international cuisine are the specialities. It is closed on Sundays.
- Trimar Restaurant, Calle Almirante Brión & the Beach, Pampatar (to the north east of Porlamar), ☎ 58 295 262 3332. Hours vary by season. Since 1965, a family restaurant on the beach in Pampatar. Specializing in fish, seafood and international cuisine. Air conditioned dining room and beach front open air dining.
- Catabar, Avenida Joaquín Maneiro (on the main strip in Pampatar and to the north east of Porlamar). Hours vary by season. A variety of international cuisine. The chef is from France and the presentation is what one would expect from a five star restaurant. Their desserts receive high praise from the local food critics. A wine list and cocktails are also available. The owner speaks English if help is required with the menu.
- El Fondeadero, Avenida Joaquín Maneiro, Pampatar (next to the fort in Pampatar and to the north east of Porlamar). Hours vary by season. Enjoy waterfront dining while being served fresh seafood that was caught that day or chose from a variety of other dishes.
- La Casa de la Langosta (Lobster House), Avenida 4 de Mayo, ☎ +58 295 264 3238, . Serving their specialty, lobster for the last 19 years in Porlamar. Choose from lobster served natural, thermidor, with mushrooms, four cheese, criolla style, natural medallions, on ice, salad, or vinaigrette. Also available is a full range of other fresh seafood along with chicken, beef, lamb and pork dishes.
- Kamy Beach, (just outside Porlamar). This is where the rich Caraquenos party
- Margarita Island Condos, Playa el Angel (outside of Pampatar and to the north east of Porlamar), ☎ +58 295 772 8600 or +58 416 398 9034, 9AM. - 8PM (email@example.com), . The condos are fully equipped, tidy and clean but the decor and furnishings may be a little dated. They are offered by the day, week or month. The condo's are available in several popular locations on the island and some have beach or sea views.
- Aguila Inn, ☎ +58 295 261-2311. 3-star
- Aparto-Hotel Marliu, ☎ +58 295 261-9032.
- Barcelo California, ☎ +58 295 263-8536.
- La Samanna, US$220-260 for a single room
- Bella Vista , ☎ +58 295 261-7222. 5-star