Poneloya is a beach community 20 km west of the city of León through road 42. Mostly visited by local Nicaraguan's through the weekend. Tourist travel peaks from December through March. The language spoken in this town is Spanish, the same as most of Nicaragua.
The name Poneloya means “small seeds” in the indigenous language. The area was originally populated by indigenous groups who still control the transfer of property titles. However, the language spoken in this town is Spanish.
The town is a stretch of beach fronted by a number of restaurants and hotels. Daily temperatures range from 30°C to 40°C.
The easiest way to reach Poneloya is through the bus terminal “El Mercadito de Sutiaba”, located in the city of Leon. Buses travel to the town every hour.
The only way to get around Poneloya is by foot or by taxi. Because the town is small, it can easily be walked around in and safe for pedestrians as most of the locals travel on bicycles.
- Beach. Known for sandy stretches of ocean. Poneloya is often visited during the weekend. For a completely deserted beach, cross to Isla Los Brasiles, a 5 minute boat ride.
- Volcanoes. There are several volcanoes near the town including Cerro Negro, Las Pilas, Telica, El Hoyo, and San Cristóbal. The best way to get to these locations is by taxi.
- Sea Turtles. Throughout the year there are many sea turtles that come to the shores of Poneloya to lay their eggs. There are many poachers taking these eggs to sell at the market. However, across the river there is a conservation project spearheaded by the hostel Surfing Turtle Lodge and the local government. A turtle hatchery and night walks are available.
- Chepe's Bar, Poneloya, Leon, Nicaragua. With views of the ocean, this is the cleanest restaurant in Poneloya and the only one that processes credit card payments. The food is affordable and of good quality.
- Surfing Turtle Lodge, Isla Los Brasiles (Crossing the river from Poneloya), ☎ (505) 8640 0644, . This hostel is located across the river on Isla los Brasiles. It consists of 3 beachfront cabins. A main building with a dorm room, private rooms, reception, bar and common area. A restaurant with food ranging from burgers to shrimp cocktails. 5-50.
- La Botanica, donde fue el tamarindo, 1/2 cuadra norte, poneloya, ☎ (505)81245215, . Nice and quiet place to stay. Inside the local town of Poneloya but only 200 mtr from the beach. La Botanica is also a natural medicine store that sells and gives the local people advise about the use of plants as a medicine. La Botanica is painted and even you are allowed to write and paint in your room which creates a story book on the walls of travelers. In La Botanica you can use the kitchen and barbecue area and buy your supplies close with the locals. Also the owners have good contacts locally and can arrange fishing tours, explain how to prepare fish nica style or take you to the local pool house. Some very happy and friendly cats dogs and ducks live in harmony on the territory and welcome anyone who likes to play with them. It is located very close to the restaurants in a safe area where you can easily walk during the night, whatever hour. close to busstop. To get there you can ask the people of the bus (from Leon 12 cordoba) to drop you off at ´el tamarindo en Poneloya´ over there you see a sign and it is only a 100 mtr walk inside of the town. You recognise the place by the many plants and paintings outside inspired by Frida Kahlo´s house. Room price in dollar: 1 person 10,- 2 persons 15,- 3 persons 20,- They have special discount prices for week or month stay.