View over the bay from Beacon Isle.
Plettenberg Bay (or Plett) is a small coastal resort in South Africa's Western Cape. It's a good stop off point for the Garden Route if you're looking to be closer to the beach than nearby Knysna.
Plett is on the N2, 240km from Port Elizabeth, 520km from Cape Town and 35km from Knysna
All major national coaches stop at the Shell garage on the N2 (1km from the town centre).
The Baz bus comes into the town centre.
- Robberg Nature and Marine Reserve is a 4km long peninsula south east of Plett, and due to the location of it on the South African coast, it acts as a speed bump to the sea life that migrates up and down the coast. There is a huge Cape Fur seal colony at the foot of the peninsula in the bay, and whales are often seen during in the bay in the whale migration season, Great Whites have been seen in the bay around the time when seal pups are young. Theres also a colony of penguins that are here part of the year.
- Doing a sea safari is an excellent way to get up close and see the sealife in the bay. Ocean Blue Adventures and Ocean Safaris both have close encounter permits, meaning they are allowed up close to the sea life. Most trips see some dolphins, seals are always seen, but shark and whale sightings are obviously seasonal! Trips are on 15 person speed boats and last 2 hours or so, costing about R270.
- Birds of Eden, At Monkeyland, The Crags (16km outside Plet, east along the N2), ☎ +27 (0)44 534-8906 (email@example.com, fax: +27 (0)44 534-8907), . The largest enclosed aviary in the world.
- Mugg 'n Bean, The Market Square, Beacon Way, ☎ +27 44 533 1486 (fax: +27 44 533 2501), . Great place for breakfast, lunch or coffee.
Flashbacks on the main road, good lively bar, especially during Matric Rage.
VIP - Vegas in Plett, is a club just outside the town. Great night out!
- Forever Resorts Plettenberg, (Just off the N2, 6km outside Plettenberg Bay), ☎ +27 (0)44 535-9309 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Chalets, log cabins and caravan park