Petoskey  is a gorgeous tourist town on the shores of Little Traverse Bay in Northwestern Michigan, USA. Renowned for its spectacular lakeshore views year-round, abundant shopping, nearness to ski slopes, world-class golf and an undeniable small-town charm. Petoskey is annually rated as one of the best small towns in America.
- Petoskey lies at the crossroads of US 131 and US 31. Petoskey is located approximately 4 hours North of Detroit and 40 minutes South of the Mackinaw Bridge and is easily drivable from Detroit, Chicago, and the surrounding states.
- You can reach Petoskey via Pellston Regional Airport (30 mins), Cherry Capital Airport (90 minutes), or a variety of other regional airports. All are serviced by Delta Air Lines.
You'll most likely want to have a car to get around Petoskey. Taxi service in the Petoskey area is limited. A few of the hotels have shuttles but unless you're already driving you'll want to have a rental car. Traffic is generally pretty light but can be significantly busier in the summer. When downtown, you can walk to just about everywhere. Having transportation will give you the ability to visit other places near by like Harbor Springs, Charlevoix, etc. all of which are within about 20 miles of Petoskey.
- The Gaslight District. Downtown Petoskey is what makes it such a cool place. There are some great shops, fantastic restaurants, and beautiful parks just to have a little stroll.
- Bayfront Park. Petoskey's waterfront is relatively unrivaled in the Midwest. There are some great parks and sights, waterfall, ponds, etc. all along the shore of Little Traverse Bay. The waterfront can be easily walked to from downtown and ample parking is available.
- Bay View. Originally a Methodist retreat, it is filled with gingerbread-style Victorian cottages and two quaint inns.
- Bay Harbor. Visit this unbelievable development on the shores of Little Traverse Bay. Home to some amazing homes, a nice shopping district and great golf.
- Petoskey State Park. A very popular beach during the summertime, this is the place to enjoy Lake Michigan on a hot summer day.
- Sturgeon River Pottery - This place is fantastic and a favorite place to shop. They have a working pottery studio with resident artists and pottery from all over the country. We found them to be the perfect destination for any "Up North" gear including Petoskey stones and rustic cabin furniture. www.sturgeonriver.com
- Young Americans Dinner Theatre -
- Flatiron Deli - Fantastic sandwiches, wraps, soup, drinks and homemade NY-style cheesecake. Located on Howard Street, just off Pennsylvania Park where you can enjoy your lunch at a picnic table or by the gazebo.
- Roast & Toast - Wonderful soups, sandwiches, and coffee. Large selection of homemade sodas (try the Lucky Duck!) Tin ceiling and cafe atmosphere with a patio in back-- great place for a family lunch. 309 E Lake St.
- The Bistro - Best breakfast in town. Nice little bistro/cafe environment right on Michigan Street downtown.
- Jespersons - Their pie alone is worth the trip.
- Legs Inn - Any trip Up North should include a visit to Legs Inn. They're up in Cross Village (20 minutes) but the drive along M119 is terrific and you'll love Legs' environment.
- Mitchell Street Pub - "The Pub" is one of the best eateries in town. Pub food (their burgers are awesome) and great beer make it worth the trip. Don't be afraid to throw your peanut shells on the floor.
- Side Door Saloon - The Saloon is located just North of town on US 31 near Bay View. They have great food - must try the quesadillas!
- The Bob-In Again - Bob-In for Fresh Frozen Custard, Oliveburgers, Coney Dogs, and More...in an Authentic 50's Atmosphere. Conviently located on US 31 and The Petoskey Bike Path.
- City Park Grill A great place any night but especially on the weekends. www.cityparkgrill.com
- The Noggin Room Located in the lower level of Stafford's Perry Hotel. Go for Sean Ryan.
- The Mitchell Street Pub Throw your peanuts on the floor
- The Surf Cottage  4 Bedroom home on Lake Michigan in "Tunnel of Trees". 150' private, sandy Lake Michigan Frontage. Open year round. 231-632-0833
- Apple Tree Inn www.appletreeinn.com
- Bay Villa...Overlooking Little Traverse Bay A great rental home with a beautiful view of the bay. www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p185095
- Bed and Breakfasts Petoskey has some great Bed & Breakfasts. Try one!
- Inn at Bay Harbor A truly awesome place located right on Little Traverse Bay. Worth even a visit but their service is good and you won't find a better view.
- Perry Hotel Built in 1899 as one of some twenty original luxury resort hotels, Stafford’s Perry Hotel is the only one still in operation.
- Holiday Vacation Rentals, 6789 S Lake Shore Drive, ☎ 888-242-7555, . Holiday Vacation Rentals has a variety of cottages, condos, and fine vacation residences in Northern Michigan. Visit http://www.holidayvacationrental.com/area%20information/petoskey-vacation-rentals/ for more information
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!