Revision as of 16:45, 10 March 2008
Pernambuco  is a state in Northeast Brazil.
Olinda, one of the state's most important historic towns
Pernambuco's main touristic attractions are in Recife (state capital), Olinda, Porto de Galinhas and Fernando de Noronha. A plethora of other cities and towns are also of touristic interest.
- Cabo de Santo Agostinho, beautiful beaches, sugar plantations, and buildings of historic interest
- Goiana, beautiful beaches and colonial churches
- Igarassu, home to Brazil's oldest church (1535), a beautiful Franciscan Monastery (1588), and an impressive Art Collection (1705)
- Itamaracá Island, famous for its beaches, nautical sports and the Orange Fortress
- Lagoa do Carro, famous for its tapestry art
- Nova Jerusalém, in Brejo da Madre de Deus, home to the world's largest Passion of Christ
- Porto de Galinhas, beautiful beach town near Recife
- São Benedito do Sul, with pleasant waterfalls
- Serrita, were the Missa do Vaqueiro is celebrated in honor of the traditional northeastern cowboys
- Tracunhaém, one of Brazil's most important ceramic art production centers
Besides having some of the most beautiful beaches in Brazil, Pernambuco also has a rich history (including Olinda, one of the oldest cities in Brazil, plus Portuguese, Dutch and Jewish heritage in Recife, etc.) and a strong popular culture found in its folklore, food and handicrafts.
The official tourism site of Pernambuco has some detailed information (in Portuguese only) on the state.
Distance from other capitals:
Recife has the largest airport in Brazil's Northeast region. It has air links to all neighboring and major capitals in Brazil, as well as connections to Europe. It is 11km from the city center. Caruaru, Petrolina and Fernando de Noronha also have regional airports.
- Aerporto Internacional Gilberto Freyre - Guararapes (REC)
Airlines operating flights to Recife: BRA , GOL , OCEANAIR , TAF , TAM , TAP , TRIP , VARIG 
- Aeroporto Senador Nilo Coelho - Petrolina (PNZ)
Airlines operating flights to Petrolina: BRA , GOL , OCEANAIR , TAM 
- Aeroporto de Caruaru (CAU)
Airline operating flights to Caruaru: BRA 
- Aeroporto de Fernando de Noronha (FEN)
Airlines operating flights to Fernando de Noronha: TRIP , VARIG 
You can arrive in cruise ships at the Port of Recife  or at the Fernando de Noronha Archipelago.
You can arrive in Petrolina via the Sao Francisco River. The navigable part of the river covers the states of Minas Gerais, Bahia and Pernambuco.
- Carnival in Recife, Olinda, Bezerros, Triunfo
- São João celebrations in Caruaru, Gravatá, Carpina
- Paixão de Cristo (Christ's Passion) in Nova Jerusalém, during Easter break
- Missa do Vaqueiro (Cowboy Mass), in Serrita