Pemuteran is a small fishing village on the northern coast of West Bali.
This is a small laid-back village which has become increasingly popular with visitors in recent years. There are a number of waterfront resorts and its proximity to Lovina and West Bali National Park together with the extreme natural beauty of the area, has fuelled quite rapid growth in tourism infrastructure in the area.
Pemuteran is home to the largest artificial Biorock reef project in the world and there is a real spirit of marine conservation effort in this area.
Visitors usually arrive in Pemuteran on the north coast road from Lovina or Singaraja or from the west at Gilimanuk.
Regular bemos ply the north coast road but they are very slow and get extremely crowded.
You will have no problem renting a car with driver to take you from Lovina to Pemuteran - fix the price in advance and make sure petrol is included.
A direct ride to Pemuteran from tourist centres in the south will take about four hours depending on traffic on the coast roads.
This is a great place to walk or get around by bicycle.
Your hotel will be able to help if you decide you need to rent a motorbike.
Early morning dolphin watching boat trips can be arranged through any hotel. By no means guaranteed, but you have a decent chance of finding a pod here.
The beaches are especially nice in this area and consist of a particularly fine grained black sand.
Menjangan Island and West Bali National Park are easily reached from here. The Menjangan Island boats depart from Labuhan Lalang which is a 15 minute ride west from Pemuteran. Obligatory permits can be purchased from the national park office at the back of the Labuhan Lalang car park and you can also arrange a guide here. It is quite common for groups of visitors to congregate in this car park and join together to charter a boat. Most local hotels will make any arrangements you need for activities related to the national park.
Proyek Penyu  (turtle project) is a turtle breeding and release program run by one of the dive operators in co-operation with local villagers. Very much worth a visit and certainly worth your support.
The area around Pulaki village just east of Pemuteran is full of vineyards and is the centre of the grape growing industry in Bali.
Diving and snorkelling is excellent both here and at nearby Menjangan Island inside the West Bali National Park. Visibility is excellent and there is a profusion of reef fishes, turtles, and hard and soft corals.
- Reef Seen Aquatics, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 (0)8123 894051 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . First established dive operator in Pemuteran, offering guided dives and PADI courses from absolute beginner upwards. Very active in marine conservation who run their own turtle breeding and release programme for example. Attractive beach-side divers' accommodation.
- Sea Rovers, (at Hotel Adi Assri, Pemuteran), ☎ +62 812 3859167 (email@example.com), . Offer a full range of fun dives and courses. PADI accredited. All dive prices in Euros.
- Yos Marine Adventures, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 813 3877 9941, . Long established and reputable PADI accredited dive operator with a branch on Pemuteran beach.
Fishing is good in calm waters and you can charter a boat easily from the beach.
The hills and mountains that form the southern backdrop to Pemuteran offer many opportunities for interesting hiking. Ask at your hotel for directions and/or a guide.
- Easy Divers (firstname.lastname@example.org), Pemuteran, ☎ 0362 94736, . Well recommended PADI dive resort S-21930. More then 10 years in Pemuteran.
There are several simple roadside warungs serving typical Balinese food. All of the hotels in the area have restaurants open to the general public. As might be imagined in a traditional fishing village, the seafood options are highly recommended.
- Dewi Ramona Restaurant (email@example.com), Matahari Beach Resort & Spa, Pemuteran, ☎ +62 362 92312, . 24 hours. Guests of not only our resort, but also to our region and even sailors passing by, have been fascinated by the highly imaginative creations of our chef de cuisine Komang Sujana and Jany-Michel Fourré together with their team. As in the rest of the resort eastern and western influences lead to delightful contrasts and unique tasteful experiences. Restaurant Dewi Ramona Here you can taste the latest creations of our team in the daily changing Menu Bali, Menu Relais and the vegetarian Parwathi Menu. Of course you can always opt for the A la Carte Menu with several specialities which have become during the years classics.
- Hotel Adi Assri, Pemuteran, ☎ +62 362 94838 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Individual bungalows on the beachfront. Offers lots of national park based activities and has a dive centre attached to the hotel. In house spa and restaurant and a good sized swimming pool. From US$37.
- Jubawa Homestay, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 362 94745, . Excellent budget option in Pemuteran with bungalows from US$15. Good wholesome Balinese food served here.
- Kubuku Bed & Breakfast, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 362 7005225, . Four clean, quiet, and air-conditioned rooms (more are under construction) away from the main road. Free internet and wifi available, they can also arrange snorkeling trips, dolphin sighting or transport. From 330 000 Rp.
- Matahari Beach Resort & Spa (email@example.com), Jalan Raya Seririt Gilimanuk, Ds Pemuteran, Buleleng 81155, Bali/Indonesia, ☎ +62 362 92312, . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 12.00. An impressive luxury beachfront resort with splendid restaurant and in-house spa. Nestled away between Bali Barat National Park and Java Sea, Matahari Beach Resort & Spa, South East Asia’s first Relais & Chateaux - is perfect for connoisseurs of luxury and relaxation, a secluded and exclusive destination for exotic weddings, romantic honeymoons and blissful family holidays. Each 32 rooms in 16 traditional Balinese bungalows is handmade by local artisans, feature hand carved wooden folding doors, complete with a four-poster bed, combining style with local natural resources. The exotic design reflects the stunning tropical garden, bursting with frangipani and fragrant jasmine, decorated in warm colours with elegant and richly ornamented wooden furniture. All rooms with marble terrace, marble bathroom and a private outdoor shower. Our renowned „East meets West“ is tempting and creative at our Ramona Restaurant, enjoy Balinese and Western Cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere at our Leon Beach Bistro. Rejuvenate your body and soul at our Parwathi Spa. Visit www.matahari-beach-resort.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org from US$280.
- Puri Ganesha (email@example.com), ☎ +6236294766, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. A laid-back luxury resort comprising four large beachfront villas each with private pools for 2-6 guests on 300 m of peaceful beach in Pemuteran. The food is all organic. from US$ 550.
- Rare Angon, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 362 94747. Budget air-conditioned bungalows with nice outdoor bathrooms. About Rp 350,000.
- Taruna Homestay, Pemuteran, ☎ +62 81 338 536318 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Comfortable rooms in a manicured Balinese garden. Also featuring a craft gallery, massage spa and diving packages. From $25.
- Taman Sari Bali Cottages, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 362 93264 (email@example.com), . Charming traditional Balinese style beachfront complex with accommodation ranging from double rooms at US$42 to two bedroom suites at US$175.
- Villa Semadhi, Pemuteran, ☎ +62 362 94831, . Beachfront villa for two to eight people. Lovely swimming pool and jacuzzi. The villa stands in a large 3,000 m2 garden. €55-300, depending on how much of the villa you use, and the time of year.
You can easily continue your journey around Bali eastwards to Lovina or westwards to Gilimanuk.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!