:* Oct: 12AM-5PM
:* Oct: 12AM-5PM
:* closed Dec - Mar
:* closed Dec - Mar
|−|* White-water activities. | |
|−|:Providers: | |
|−|:*'''Alpin Club''', [http://www.alpinclub.gr/en/index.html alpinclub.gr]. | |
|−|:*'''Eco Action''', [http://www.ecoaction.gr/en/home.htm ecoaction.gr]. | |
|−|:*'''Trekking Hellas''', [http://www.trekking.gr/index_en.html trekking.gr]. | |
| || |
Revision as of 17:54, 25 January 2009
Peloponnese is a region in Greece.
- Kyparissia - A nice town in the centre of Kyparissian Gulf.
- Sparta - This historic city has a population of 10,000. It has two main arteries which make navigation really easy. To the west of the City is the beautiful, rugged Mt. Taygetos. The Byzantine city of Mystras is a short 15 minute ride away. This has relics worthy of a visit. There is a museum in Sparta housing some artifacts.
- Gytheion - A small fishing village. Nice seafood restaurants with plenty of beaches in the area mostly frequented by locals. Nearby Caves of Dyros is a large limestone cave system which is toured on a boat. Here you will find the point where Helen of Troy is said to have started the Trojan War. "The woman who launched a thousand ships."
- Monemvassia - The Rock of Gibraltar of Greece. Really pretty with an ancient walled city.
- Ancient Olympia - Birthplace of the Olympics.
- Patra - Pretty nondescript city. Main point of arrival for ferries from Italy and Ionian islands.
- Nafplion - A good base to explore surrounding area which includes Epidaurus the largest outdoor amphitheatre with perfect acoustics. If you sit at the top, you can hear a pin drop on the stage, literally. Catch an ancient play in the summertime. Also a good base for exploring Mycenae.
- Corinth - base for Mycenae - The ruins of one of the first civilizations of Greece.
- Pylos - Very picturesque city in the southwest. Many French-style buildings, as well as a marina and a gloriously shady square.
- Kalamata - Main city of Messinia Province. Famous for its olives but also a pleasant city with an attractive seafront and stylish new marina.
- Kalo Nero Kyparissia - Today, the village has developed into a well-organised tourist resort with all the necessary comforts, as taverns, apartments, cafe-bars and nice beaches. Family hotel Irida Resort in Paralia, is a cultural oasis in kalo Nero's most successful tourism resort.
- Gialova - An exceptionally pretty fishing village near Pylos in the Southwest. There are a couple of nice hotels to stay in, as well as an excellent campsite. The village also boasts several fine eateries, none of which are too expensive.
- Methoni - A seaside town south of Pylos. Its main feature is a spectacularly positioned and well preserved castle, which contains both Venetian and Ottoman elements. The town itself is also pleasingly old, and there is a small but delightful beach near the castle.
- Finikounda - A smaller town about 10 minutes drive from Methoni. It is a little more touristy, but does offer wonderful beaches and some nice tavernas.
You will get along with English pretty well, in the more touristy places you won't have too much problems with German or Italian either. Pick up some Greek, it will be appreciated!
From Athens, by car or bus; having a car allows occasional stops that are worth along the way to most parts of Peloponnese. To get to Sparta takes around 3 hours. Patras is around 5. Kalamata is around 4.5 hours.
You can also take a ferry from Piraeus to the Saronic island of Poros. Then it's just a 5 minute boat ride from Poros Town to Galatas on the mainland of the Peloponnese. There is a car rental agency there.
Car or KTEL bus.
If you have no hurry, a lot of patience and a train timetable you can take the train.
- Ancient Olympia, Epidarus, Nemea, Mykene, Corinth, Mystra, Sparta,Epicurious Apollo Temple, Mt Lykaion-Lykosoura, Peristeria,
- Departure from Diakofta: 6.58; 9.22; 11.48; 14.38
- Departure from Kalavrita: 8.09; 10.34; 13.18; 15.51
- Porto Kagio, southern point of Europe
- Bungy jumping into Corinth Channel:
- Zulu Bungy, http://www.zulubungy.com, +30 210 514-7051, +30 6932 702-535.
- Operating months: April-Oct
- Operating days:
- Apr 01 - Jun 14: Sat, Sun
- Jun 15 - Sep 15: daily except Mon&Tue
- Sep 16 - Oct 30: Sat, Sun
- Operating time:
- Apr: 12AM-5PM
- May 01 - Jun 14: 12AM-6PM
- Jun 15 - Aug 31: 12AM-7PM
- Sep: 12AM-6PM
- Oct: 12AM-5PM
- closed Dec - Mar
Ceramics and sculptures from Atelier Sud art gallery near Finikounda. Inventive and evocative work by two very talented artists.
Koriatiki, Saganaki, Tyropitakia, Souvlaki, Moussaka, Pastisio, Gemista etc.
In general Greece is quite a safe place to visit, although the notorious dangers can be found here as well: Pickpockets in the cities and larger towns and drunk fellow-tourists at nighttime.