Patna is the capital of Bihar, and the second largest metropolis in eastern India. The city of Patna sits bordering three rivers - the Ganga, Sone and the Poonpun.
The ancient name of Patna was 'Patliputra' and it was the capital of the Maurya and Gupta empires. Located at the site where Patna is today, the ancient city of Patliputra, with a glorious period of history spanning a thousand years (500BC-400AD), saw the rise and fall of India's first major kingdoms.
Ajastshatru, second in line of the Magadh Kings, built a fort at Pataligram on the banks of the Ganges river. This later became the famous Mauryan metropolis of Pataliputra and was ruled by Chandragupta Maurya and his grandson Asoka, acclaimed for the spread of Buddhism across India. Other emperors who ruled from Pataliputra were the Gupta and Pala Kings, Shershah Suri (16th Century) and Azimush-Shan (18th Century), the grandson of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, who renamed it Azeemabad. Vestiges of this ancient city can be seen at Kumhrar, Bhikhnapahari, Agamkuan, Bulandi Bag etc.
Today Patna is an important business and education centre of eastern India. More significantly, it is a gateway to the Buddhist and Jain pilgrim centres of Vaishali, Rajgir, Nalanda, Bodhgaya, Keshariya and Pawapuri. The growing city of Patna is a great place to visit and a great place to live in.
Lying along the banks of the Ganges River, Patna is surrounded by important religious centers for the Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains. This city has been home to two great religions, Buddhism and Jainism, and myriad dynasties from ancient to modern times.
Patna Airport or Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport (IATA: PAT ICAO: VEPT)  is a domestic airport. Directly connected to Delhi, Lucknow, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore and Ranchi, there are daily flights to and from Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata. Indian Airlines , Jet Airways, Jet Light ,Kingfisher Airlines & & Indigo Airlines operate here.
Patna is on the New Delhi - Howrah (Kolkata) railway main line (Patna Junction Code:PNBE) . Long-distance trains arrive from many other major cities including Lucknow, Amritsar, Chandigarh, Vadodara, Surat, Nagpur, Pune, Raipur, Jaipur, Bhubaneswar, Puri, Allahabad, Varanasi, Ranchi, Chennai, Bangalore, Mysore, Hyderabad, Goa, Mangalore, Kozhikode and Kochi, Some of the important trains are:
From New Delhi
- Patna Rajdhani Exp (2309/2310) via Kanpur, Allahabad
- Samproon Kranti Exp(2393/2394) via Kanpur, Allahabad
- Sharmajeevi Exp(2391/2392) via Lucknow, Varanasi
- Magadh Exp. via Allahabad,Kanpur
- Vikramshila Exp(2367/2368) via Kanpur, Allahabad
- Garib Rath Exp(2353/2354) via Kanpur, Allahabad
- Kolkata Rajdhani(2305/2306) via Kanpur, Allahabad. Ends at Kolkata.
- Various Rajdhani Exp. trains going to Delhi
- Jan Shatabdi Exp(2023/2024)
- Danapur Exp(2351/2352)
- RJPB CSTM Exp (2141/2142)
- Vihbhuti Exp(2333/2334)
- Lalkila Exp
- Patna Hatia Exp(8623/8624) via Gaya, Bokaro
Railway Enquiry: 139, 138
Patna is connected by road with all major cities of the country via (National Highway 30,31 & 19). Here is the list of destinations by distance from Patna: BodhGaya (130km) , Rajgir (103km), Vaishali (40 km), Kolkata (535km), Varanasi (300km), Delhi (988km), Ranchi (350km), Jamshedpur (470km) , Kathmandu (373km), Siliguri (380km), Darjeeling (430km), Nalanda (90km).
BSTDC (Bihar State Tourism Development Corporation)  offers deluxe bus/car rental services for the following destinations: Bodhgaya, Ranchi, Rajgir , Pawapuri, Nalanda & Vaishali,
On the other hand, the Inter-State Bus Terminus at Bankipore (Near Gandhi Maidan) and Mithapur, Luxury buses are available to the Nepal border (Raxaul/Birganj), Gaya, Siliguri, Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Purnia etc.
By Car (Local)
There are a few car rental companies available in Patna.
- Savaari Car Rental has a reputation for providing quality luxury car rentals in Patna.
- Hertz Car Rental
- Nalanda Travels  an ISO 9001 certified agency approved by Department of Tourism, Government of India.
- Patna Museum has more than 50,000 rare art objects, with many related to India in the ancient, middle ages and the British colonial era. Don't forget to see the Holy Relic Casket with the sacred ashes of Lord Buddha, and the beautiful statue Yakshani.
- Har Mandir Saheb - The Birth place of 10th Guru of Sikhs, Guru Gobind Singh jee .
- Golghar - Captain John Garstin built a Golghar for the storage of food for the British army with storing capacity of 140000 tons on 20th July 1786.
- Kumhrar - Explore the ancient ruins of Pataliputra. Of the 80 pillars (Fa Hien, in 5th century AD, found the pillars shining as bright as glass) excavated at the site, only one remains unfortunately.
- Patna Zoo Sanjay Gandhi Botanical and Zoological Garden, Patna.
- Mahavir Mandir, near Patna Junction
- Gandhi Maidan is the heart of this city today
- Gandhi Museum near Gandhi Maidan
- Padri Ki Haveli ("Mansion of Padre"), also known as St Mary's Church, it is the oldest church in Bihar. When Roman Catholics were arrived in Bihar, They built a small church in 1713 at a place now known as "Padri-ki-Haveli'.
- Pathar ki Masjid is built by Pervez, the elder brother of Shah Jahan and the first Mughal prince who made Bihar his residence
- Khuda Baksh Oriental Library Ashok Rajpath.
- Play golf at the Patna golf club  With some very tough holes, this well-maintained course situated downton will prove interesting to amateur and pros alike. The Patna Golf Club is set in beautiful surroundings.
- Take a boat-ride in the Ganges., near Gandhi ghat
- Visit Kali Temple at Patna University Campus on the Bank of the Ganges
- Visit Vaishali-Ashokan Pillar(48km north of Patna)
- Maner-Sufi Saint Shrine(15km west of Patna) - you can buy famous Maner Ladoo (Sweets) from there. However, avoid going there in the late evening or night.
You can go on excursions to the various religious and historical places in and around Patna. Do not miss a boat ride on the mighty Ganges river. When in Patna, try food typical to the region such as pua-pittha, tilkut, chiwra, makhana, the famed sattu or the farmer's staple, litti chokha, and the famous paan.
Madhubani Paintings can be bought from emporiums at Mayura Lok, a shopping center located on "Dak- Bunglow" road.
You can visit many malls around Frazer road/Dak Bunglow Crossing such as Vishal Mega Mart, Maurya Lok Complex and Patna Market on Ashok Rajpath, Hathwa Market, Bari Path & Alankar Palace and other shopping arcades near Boring Road Crossing
- Litti chokha is a local specialty. Litti is a primarily ball-shaped stuffed preparation, and the shape of the ball varies depending on the preparation. With a shell made of wheat flour, the taste of litti very much depends on the filling, which includes gram flour and a combination of condiments and spices. Chokha a preparation of smoked eggplant/brinjal or tomato, accompanies litti. The smoked tomato or eggplant is mashed and dressed with coriander leaves, shredded green chilies and mustard oil, which gives a distinct flavor to the chokha.
- Chaat - Though chaat is a very popular snack item throughout India, the special thing about 'Patna Chaat' is its authentic tamarind flavor, as opposed to the sweet and salty Delhi Chaat. Take the opportunity to relish "samosa chaat" or "tikki chaat".
- Sweets, especially Peda and Kalakand, which are preparations of condensed milk from Sudha Dairy Parlours. The sweets must be consumed within 7 days.
- Anarsa is one of the finest sweet delicacies of Bihar. It has rice flour shell with khoya filling, with white til in the upper shell.
- Dahi Chura Chini, which is a mixture of curd, beaten rice and sugar, is the favourite food in North Bihar, especially in the Mithila region!
- Makhana is soft fruit grown in water. It is light fried and with little salt it serves the purpose of light snacks.
- Tilkut,Khaja are other delicacies of Bihar
- Basant Vihar, Mauryalok Complex
- Kaveri, Mauryalok Complex
- Vau's Rangoli, Lok Nayak Complex, Dak Bunglow Crossing
- Mayfair, Dak Bunglow Crossing(Frazer Road)
- Soda Fountain, East Gandhi Maidan
- Moti Mahal, Frazer Road
- Roti, Boring Road
- Payal Restaurant, Ashok Rajpath
- Yo! China, Maurya Lok Complex
- Smokin Joes, Dak Bunglow Crossing
- Club City, New Dak Bunglow Road
- Bansi Vihar, Near Dak Bunglow Crossing
- Cloud 9, Boring Road
- Mirch Masala, Kadam Kuan
- China Garden, Frazer Road
- Sweet Home, Alankar Palace, Boring Road
- Kwality Sweets, Boring Road
- Lucknow Sweets, Dak Bunglow Crossing
- Cake Palace, New Dak Bunglow Road
- Cozy Confectioners, Keshav Palace, Bailey Road
- Sweet Garden, Keshav Palace, Bailey Road
Sattu-pani is among the popular drinks,
Lassi Made of Curd, Dry fruits & Sugar.
Restaurant & BAR
- Oasis, Boring Road
- The Velocity, Near Dak Bunglow Crossing
- Country Club International, Patliputra Colony
- Mamta Anarkali, Near Dak Bunglow Crossing
- Country Club International , Patliputra colony
- Hotel Akash , Frazer Road
- Hotel Anand Regency, Near Patna Junction(Railway Station)
- Hotel Clark Inn, Jamal Road
- Hotel Magadh, Bhatacharya Road-Naya Tola crossing
- Hotel Marina , Frazer Road
- Hotel Mayur , Frazer Road
- Hotel Nand, Bhatacharya Road-Naya Tola crossing
- Hotel New Akash , Frazer Road
- Hotel President, Frazer Road
- Hotel Vijay Shree Deluxe, Exhibition Road
- Maharaja Inn, Station Road, Rajendra Path
- Mamta Regency , Frazer Road
- Marwari Awas Grih, Dakbunglow Crossing
- Hotel Kautilya Vihar, R Block
- Hotel Samrat International Dak Bunglow Crossing
- Hotel Satkar International, Frazer Road
- Hotel Rajasthan, Frazer Road
- Hotel Republic, Exhibition Road
- Hotel Windsor, Exhibition Road Crossing
- Hotel Ashoka, Birchand Patel Path(Near IT Office)
- Hotel Chanakya, R Block
- Hotel Maurya, South Gandhi Maidan - Landmark of Patna
- Patna University - Seventh Oldest University of the Indian Subcontinent 
- Indian Institute of Technology, Patna 
- National Institute of Technology, Patna - one of the oldest engineering colleges of South Asia 
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Patna 
- Birla Institute of Technology , Patna(BIT Mesra-Extension Centre)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna 
- Chandragupt Institute of Management, Patna 
- L N Mishra Institute of Economic Development & Social Change, Patna
- Patna Womens College - one of the best & beautiful Womens' college in Eastern India 
- College of Arts & Crafts - Patna 
- Bodh Gaya, the place where Buddha achieved enlightenment
- Rajgir, the place Vishwa Shanti Shutpa you can joy on Areial Ropeway, You can enjoy Venuvana(Beautiful Garden)
- Nalanda - location of an ancient university with a nearby musuem.
- Pawapuri - The Place of Nirvana (Bhagwan Mahabir) - A holy site for the Jains.
- Kesariya - Perhaps the oldest Shanti Stupa, it is situated in East Champaran District(Motihari), 170km from Patna. Deluxe buses and taxi are available from Patna .
- Deoghar - A town containing a famous Babadham temple. It is 200km from Patna By Railway (drop at Jasidih Junction on Patna Howarh Main Line)in Jharkhand State
- Munger - A small town on the bank of Ganga famous for Yoga.
- Nepal - Buses are available to Raxaul and Jogbani at the Nepali border, where you can hop on a bus to Kathmandu and Pokhra.
- Ranchi - AC deluxe buses are Available from ITDC Patliputra Ashoka Hotel, BSTDC Kautilya Vihar Hotel and Mithapur/Bankipore Bus Stand(Near Gandhi Maidan)