Parapat is a small town on the edge of Lake Toba.
From Medan there is a local bus (no air-con) about every hour for 22,000 rupiah (Oct 08) if you pay on the bus. The journey takes 4-6 hours, depending on the traffic condition.
- RAJA Taxi +62 617 366 555;
- PARADEP TAXI;
- TOBATRANSPORTER +62 85261492668 or [firstname.lastname@example.org]
will pick you up at the airport. Scheduled runs in an Toyota Inova (5 person car) will cost you 100,000 IDR per person (Feb, 12). Alternatively, you can book the whole car or private van for 500,000 IDR.
- Take a ferry boat to cross over to Samosir island.
- Water scooters (150,000Rp per half hour, with a guide on-board)
- Speed boat rides
- Self paddle "kiddle ride" boats (40,000Rp per hour)
- b.caro coffe shop, Haranggaol St. 114 (5 minutes from down town, 2 minutes from Tigaraja harbour), ☎ 062541306. The best coffee in this town. 3000 per cup.
- Charlie's Guesthouse - cheap and central. Overlooks the market (a bit noisy especially on Saturday) and is very close to the ferry station. Rooms are about 30,000 rupiah, pretty clean and with shower (2006).
- Niagara Hotel and Resort  - One of the better hotel you can get there, though only 2 to 3 stars. Can be crowded with families and Indonesians during peak period (weekends and public holidays).
- Tobatransporter Guesthouse, ☎ +6285261492668 (email@example.com). checkin: 12.00 PM; checkout: 01.00 PM. Quiet guest house, close to Niagara hotel, surrounded by pine trees. 150.000.
There is public bus every hour to Medan; 22,000 per person (not air conditioned). Other options by Taxi Trans like Paradep Taxi or Tobatransporter and Raja Taxi who run the time schedule every hour.