Revision as of 15:11, 2 March 2009
Paraná is a state in southern Brazil. With its strong northern European heritage, its culture is probably unlike most foreigners' image of Brazil.
Paraná is commonly divided into the following regions:
- Campos Gerais: this land of fields is close to Curitiba. Curious rocky formations and canyons near Vila Velha.
- Centro - this central region attracts rural tourism.
- Costa Norte: the north "coast" borders the State of São Paulo. Water sports, fishing and leisure.
- Costa Oeste: the west "coast" has the Iguaçu Falls and National Park, and the giant Itaipu power plant.
- Curitiba - The metropolitan region contains the state's capital and its neighboring areas;
- Litoral: the state's coast has several bays and mangroves, the mountains of Serra do Mar and its mata atlântica forests, as well as beaches and eco-tourism at Ilha do Mel
- Vale do Iguaçu: bordering the State of Santa Catarina, water sports on lake Itaipu.