Pagudpud is a municipality in the province of Ilocos Norte, Philippines. It's approximately 560 km by land from Manila.
Coordinates: 18° 34.979N,120° 47.144E,Elev: 18m
Before the Second World War, a native of Batangas came to the place to sell blankets and mosquito nets. The place was still then named “TONGOTONG”, which was one of the barrios of the Municipality of Bangui, Ilocos Norte. He sold his wares from one house to another and he did not notice that it was already noon time. He was too tired and hungry, that he sought shelter in one of the houses nearby and probably to ask the hospitable owner of the house for a simple lunch. After the peddler had settled down, the owner of the house asked the peddler his purpose. The peddler did not at all understand the question, but just merely answered, “Ako’y pagud na pagod at ang sapatos ko’y pudpod,” in his usual Batangas accent. This reply became the byword of the residents of Barangay Tongotong even if they didn’t know the meaning of what the peddler had said.
Months later, a native of the Bicol Region came to seek employment in one of the logging companies which was operating in the locality. The place at that time had a lot of virgin forests and mountains, and logging business was still legal. The stranger did not know where the office of the company was located, so he just alighted in Tongotong even if it was not still the place where he was supposed to go. He asked one of the bystanders the name of the place and he immediately replied, “Ako’y pagud na pagod at ang sapatos ko’y pudpod,” because the bystander knew that he was Tagalog and that was the only Tagalog words that he knew. The amazed Bicolano just interpreted that the place might be Pagud-pudpod.
There and then Tongotong was changed to Pagud-pudpod and later shortened to PAGUDPUD.
PAGUDPUD - - - that according to the elders is a deep Ilocano word which means soft sandy soil “kuppuoy” a kadaratan.
- Saud White Beach. Saud white beach is very popular not only in the country but also to the other parts of the world. It is a favorite place for movie producers, foreign and local correspondents, foreign travel writers to shoot their films because of its breathtaking views and unique atmosphere. It is even featured in the Internet that makes it very popular, a world–class destination. The beach is along stretch sand framing the heart shaped calm emerald water of the Saud Bay.
- Bantay Abot Caves. Bantay Abot Caves means “a mountain with a hole.” A hole was found at the middle of the mountain where the waves were free to flash into its walls just like an open shore until it was wrecked by an earthquake during the 80’s. It is also called “the underground sea” for on top of the cave is a lustrous vegetative cover. Inside the cave is a church that once you are inside, you do not only hear the echoing sound of the waves, the chirping of the birds but you can also feel the cool breeze of the air. It is a favorite hangout of swallows that swarm to their roost in the late afternoon. It is a very unique creation partly surrounded by the clear blue sea. Its shore has white sand mixed with fragments of shells and rocks that can be made as a décor. Parts of the shore are forms of rocks where you can sit and relax and enjoy a lucid view of the wide sea and verdant mountains.
- Timmangtang Rock. Timmangtang rock stands majestically a few meters away from Bantay Abot caves. It is located along the shore and partly by the sea. You cannot separate Bantay Abot Cave from the Timmantang Rock for they are believed to be lovers, the former being the female and the later is the male. They are collectively termed as “Lover’s Rock”. This rock is like a bell-shaped, hence the name Timmantang. The rock is covered with grass and bushes. On top of it, you could see the calm blue sea and the enchanting view of Sitio Gaoa. Campfire is also very ideal at the foot of this stunning rock.
- Nacatnagan Cliff. The cliff is a virgin forest where different kinds of trees grow and you could hear the peeping of the birds. Wild animals can also be found within the place thus it is a perfect place for hunting. Rare ferns and wild orchids grow abundantly at the foot and at the slopes of the mountain. It is also a good site for mountain climbing because of its steep and slippery trails. On top of it, you can glimpse the panoramic view of the Pasaleng Bay, Maira-ira Point and the totality of the out of this world scene of Sitio Gaoa, Babuyan Island can also be viewed on a clear day.
- Malingay Cove (Blue Lagoon). It is a hidden bay found at Maira-ira Point, which is a half-moon in shape edifice, by the Nacatnagan Cliff in the east and the Dos Hermanos in the north. This place is where you can escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Reaching the place is quite tiresome for it is around 2.5o kilometers away from the highway with rigged roads and it is found at the interior part of Sitio Malingay. On the way is thick forest and you can also have glance of the sea. Malingay Cove is famous for its crystal blue water and fine white sand.
- Dos Hermanos Islands. Below the rocks are caves where varied and colorful tropical fishes swim abundantly that can be seen during low tides. Around Dos Hermanos Rocks submerged smaller rocks where famous delicious seaweeds "gamet" are taken.
- Kabigan Falls. It is an enchanting falls located at the eastern part of Barangay Balaoi and it is around 1.8 kilometers away from the national highway. This 80 feet waterfall is surrounded by thick forest and well-known for its concaved basin.
- Saguigui Falls.
- Winding Patapat Bridge.
- Bolo River.
- Agua Seda, Maira-ira Point, ☎ 09218079703 / 09202431832, .
- Apo Idon Beach Hotel, Burayoc Pt., Saud White Beach Cove, ☎ (077)6760438 / 09175100671 / 09189334464, .
- Hannah's Beach Resort, Barangay Balaoi, Malingay, ☎ 09104966525, .
- Kapuluan Vista Resort, Sitio Baniaran, Barangay Balaoi, ☎ 09209522528 / 09209285273, .
- Pannzian Beach and Mountain Resort, Barangay Pancian, ☎ (2)6469020 / 09209520662, .
- Saud Beach Resort and Hotel, Saud Beach, ☎ (02)9212856 / (02)9289853, .