Oxapampa is a town in Peru.
Oxapampa is a city in the Pasco Region, 1814 meters above sea level. It is set on a fertile plain on the Río Huancabamba, a tributary of the Ucayali, 81 km from La Merced. A third of the inhabitants are descendants of a German-Austrian community of 70 families that settled in 1859 at Pozuzo, 80 km upstream, and spread later to Oxapampa.
Oxapampa can be reached by bus (a variety of companies run from Lima). Within Oxapampa, you can get around by mototaxi or by bus.
- Bio Westreicher, (Take the road north towards Pozuzo from Oxapampa), ☎ 063 790 681. Small zoo with a colony of Australian emus. Serves food and drinks also.
- Catarata de Anana, (Take the road north towards Pozuzo from Oxapampa, turn left at Huancabamba). Waterfall
- Catarata Rayantambo, (Take the road north towards Pozuzo from Oxapampa, continue past Huancabamba). Waterfall
- Catarata Rio Tigre, (Take the road towards La Merced (from Oxapampa) 14km and turn left at Canera). A waterfall with a pedestrian suspension bridge over the river.
- La Floralp, (Take the road towards Chontabamba, a short distance past Puente Suarez). Cheese factory producing 21 varieties. There's a taste testing room overlooking the factory floor where you can see a short video about cheese making. You can also buy cheese here.
- Hacienda Yanachaga, (Huancabamba (25km from Oxapampa).). old Hacienda Yanachaga (now Prosoya).
- Iglesia de Santa Rosa. In the Plaza de Armas you can visit the Iglesia de Santa Rosa, an interesting church made of wood. Other houses can be seen in the city but aren't as well preserved as it is.
- Misión de Quillaz in Quillazú. A beautiful church from 1881, when friars established to evangelize the jungle natives.
- Piscigranja, (Take the road towards Chontabamba). Small trout farm, you can buy uncooked trout here. There's also a tame blue Macaw that flies around here called George. S/.1.00.
- Tunqui Cueva, (Take the road towards Chontabamba). A small cave.
- El Wharapo, (5km SW of Oxapampa, the town of Chontabamba.). El Wharapo, established 1890 is famous for its drink made from sugar cane, Aguardiente. You can see the cane liquor being produced and you can buy 1 litre for S/.10.00 Free Entry.
- Pulgar Verde (Green Thumb), Las Palmeras. Orchid Garden. Open every day.
Selvamonos Music and Arts Festival of Oxapampa, . Selvámonos Festival is located at the foot of Chemillen Yanachaga Park, a protected area of the Central Selva, and recognized as a biosphere reserve. The fifth edition of the music festival Selvámonos, with the sponsorship of UNESCO, will take place on 28th and 29th of June 2013. A total of 12 bands and 5 DJ's.
- Fresh Trout
- Cane Liquor
In Oxapampa you can expect fresh organic products and tasty German pastries.
The Oxapampa Sour at Otto's Bar is a real experience.
Aguardiente (Cane Liquor).
- Albergue Turístico Böttger, Jr. Mariscal Castilla 6ta Cdra., ☎ 063-462377 (email@example.com). S/.40 to S/.60 per person.
- Hospedaje El Trapiche, Jr. Mullembruck 1ra. Cuadra (a 100 mt del Estadio Municipal), ☎ 063 – 462049 (firstname.lastname@example.org). s/40 - s/60.
- Hospedaje D' Palma Lodge, Final de la Prolongación Thomas Schauss, ☎ 063-462123 (email@example.com). s/50 - s/70 por persona.
- Hospedaje Frey, Av. San Martin Cercado (A 1/2 Cdra. Grifo Joar) 105, ☎ 063-462267. s/20 - s/30 por persona.
- Hostal Arias, Jr. Bolognesi 238, ☎ 063-536841. s/20 - s/30 por persona.
- Café Hospedaje Ruffner, Jr Bolivar (1 cuadra de la Plaza de armas), ☎ 063-462513. s/20 - s/30 por persona.
- Hostal Papaquell, Jr. Bolognesi 228, ☎ 063-337070. s/20 - s/30 por persona.