===By public transport===
===By public transport===
Public buses and trolleybuses carry you around the city for 12 CZK. There are only coin-operated machines inside buses and trolleybuses
. They are pretty annoying. If you do not have coins, you have no chance to enter no matter how rich you are. [http://www.mdpo.cz/mapy/mapa_b.jpg Map of public transport lines] |+|
Public buses and trolleybuses carry you around the city for 12 CZK. There are only coin-operated machines inside buses and trolleybuses. [http://www.mdpo.cz/mapy/mapa_b.jpg Map of public transport lines]
| || |
Revision as of 14:03, 6 August 2012
Opava is a city in Czech Silesia, Czech Republic. It was the formal capital of Czech Silesia.
Commuter trains connect Opava with Ostrava, which is a major railway hub with direct trains to Prague and many cities in Poland, Slovakia, Austria etc. The trains go hourly and the trip from Ostrava takes 40 minutes.
Road E11 goes through Opava from Hradec Králové and Šumperk and continues to Ostrava, Český Těšín and Žilina (Slovakia).
From Prague (Praha)
Go through D1 highway to Brno and continue through Olomouc. Or D11 to Hradec Králové and continue through E11.
Go to Ostrava Mošnov, Brno Tuřany or Praha Ruzyně airports. Nearest airport (Ostrava) is about 80 km away. Smaller aircraft may land on Dolní Benešov or Krnov airport about 20 km away.
By public transport
Public buses and trolleybuses carry you around the city for 12 CZK. There are only coin-operated machines inside buses and trolleybuses. Map of public transport lines
You can as well go by taxi, about CZK 20 per km (aprox. 0.7 €)
- konkatedrála Nanebevzetí Panny Marie
- kostel svatého Vojtěcha
- kostel svatého Ducha
Solar system model
There is a to-scale model of Solar system.
- Sun is represented by the concrete ball on Horní náměstí (Upper square).
- Mercury is next to Slezské divadlo (Silesian theater) on the oposite side of the square.
- Venus, Earth and Moon are in "Dvořákovy sady" city park.
- Mars is situated between Čapkova and Olbrichova streets in front of Silesian University.
- Jupiter is in "Městské sady" on Jaselská street.
- Saturn is situated in "Jaktař" part of the city (head towards Krnov or Bruntál)
- Uranus, Neptune and Pluto are spread in vilages around Opava.
There are many good restaurants around Opava, but some are closed on Sundays. Waiters not allways speak other than czech language.
There are several great bakeries around the city too.
Meal delievery is at very good level in Opava. Try Kašpárkova Pizza , Presto Pizza , Tudle Nudle  (asian, italian and national noodles) or Pizzeria Uno , but rather ask someone speaking czech to order one. Don't expect phone operators to be good at english.
- There are two Evžen cafés  and  in the city centre. Place where it is allways possible to find good people. Many artists, musicians, students and so on. Jazz sessions, concerts. Great places to meet people interested in art, music, photography and so. Open daily.
- Mrkev  small friendly music club at Sněmovní ulice near Dolní náměstí.
Both Hradec nad Moravicí and Raduň were voted among the most beautiful castles in Czech Republic. Both are surounded with beautiful gardens and parks.
- Arboretum Nový Dvůr is great botanical garden few kilometers from Opava. As you are there, you may taste far-famed and maybe the biggest Wiener-Schnitzels you ever seen in nearby restaurant.
- Infantry fortress Milostovice is museum inside bunker from the second world-war. Museum is open every sunday 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM. Bus no. 212 goes there every hour from the city centre.