| || |
*'''Beaches Motel & Cottages''', 773 Post Road, Phone:
"+1 207 216-4065, |+|
*'''Beaches Motel & Cottages''', 773 Post Road, Phone: +1 207 216-4065,
*'''Hoyt's Cottages 2''', 2 River Road, Cape Neddick, ME, 03907, Phone:
"+207 363-3400, |+|
*'''Hoyt's Cottages 2''', 2 River Road, Cape Neddick, ME, 03907, Phone: +207 363-3400,
*'''King's Court Motel''', Beach Street, Phone: ''+1 207'' 646-9338, [http://www.kingscourtmotel.com].
*'''King's Court Motel''', Beach Street, Phone: ''+1 207'' 646-9338, [http://www.kingscourtmotel.com].
| || |
Revision as of 03:23, 9 October 2013
Ogunquit is a small seacoast town located in York County, Maine. The name is the Algonquin Indian word for "beautiful place by the sea". It features over three miles of beautiful sandy beach.
It possesses a decent sized gay and lesbian population and has become a vacation spot for many LGBT visitors. There is a concentrated area of restaurants and shops near the intersection of Main Street and Shore Road, and access to the beach is nearby. The town's sidewalks (where they exist) are packed with tourists on weekends during the summer.
Ogunquit has much to offer in terms of fresh seafood, family-oriented and romantic restaurants, ice cream joints, beaches and an array of boutiques and shops. You can find the standard tourist-y items as well as high quality art work, jewelry clothes and some shops that offer unique local shells and products.
Summer nights bring a bustling excitement to downtown Ogunquit and the trolleys are an enjoyable and convenient form of transportation throughout the day.
- Portland International Jetport, 1001 Westbrook St., Portland, ME,  1-(207) 774-7301.
- Manchester Airport, 1 Airport Rd., Manchester, NH, ,Phone: 1-(603) 624-6539 .
- Pease International Tradeport, 36 Airline Ave., Portsmouth, NH, . Served only by two airlines: Allegiant Air, Phone: 1-(800)-432-3810, ; or Pan Am Clipper Connection, Phone: 1-(800)-359-7262, .
- Logan International Airport, 1 Harborside Dr., Boston, MA,  Phone: 1-(800) 235-6426.
From Boston's North Station  and Portland, Amtrak provides service on the "Downeaster" to the town of Wells, just north of Ogunquit.
Getting from Wells to Ogunquit is a ten minute drive south on U.S. Highway 1.
There is no intercity bus service direct to Ogunquit, however you can take the train to Wells, and then take the local trolley to Ogunquit.
Interstate 95 is the direct route from Boston (1.25 hours) and other east coast cities. When coming from the south, take Maine Exit 7 to Route 1 North for access to Ogunquit and The Yorks.
Interstate 95 throughout Maine and New Hampshire can experience major traffic jams from tourists traveling between the Boston metro area and vacation areas in the north. Using a EZ Pass or compatible transponder will avoid waiting in line at toll booths on 95. Using a GPS navigation system that can route you around traffic jams could also save a considerable amount of time, if you are not familiar with the area.
Route 1 is a viable coastal alternative to 95, and is also more scenic. Shore Road is even more coastal, connecting with Route 1 further south.
During the tourist season, Ogunquit experiences major traffic jams on Route 1 (Main Street) and Shore Road, centered around the intersection of the two roads. Public parking is in high demand and be quite expensive ($25/day). See the Town of Ogunquit website for a map of available parking lots and rates. If driving, it is advisable to carpool if applicable, and determine where you would like to park in advance. Most overnight accommodations, like inns and resorts, provide their own free lots. Obed's Lot on Cottage Street requires advanced payment, which can be inconvenient if you do not know how long you wish to park, but which does allow you to leave without waiting in an exit line (unlike the main Beach Lot).
Taking the Ogunquit Trolley between your parking lot and destinations of interest can be cost effective. Paid dedicated motorcycle parking is available in the main Beach Lot, and is underused compared to automobile parking. Taking public transit or parking outside of town and bicycling in would also avoid traffic hassles.
Ogunquit is said to be the most walkable community in Maine. Walkers, runners and bikers are always on the sidewalks and roads and downtown Ogunquit, Perkins Cove and the beach are always filled with pedestrians. If you are staying locally, there is no great need to travel within Ogunquit with a car.
- The Ogunquit Trolley, Phone: +1 207 646-1411, . Operates all along Route 1, Shore Road and to the beach. Very useful. Listen for the approaching bell. Trolley stops are marked by signs with the picture of a trolley and a bench on the sidewalk.
- Wheels N Waves Bike Rentals, Phone: +1 207 646-5774,. Provides bike and bike equipment rentals. With so many outdoor locations to visit, bikes are useful for enjoying outdoors while conveniently traveling.
- Brewster's Taxi, Phone: "+1 207" 646-2141. Offers taxi and airport shuttle services in local area. Headquarters located at 509 Main Street.
- Ogunquit Playhouse, 10 Main St, Route 1, Phone: +1 207 646-5511, . America's Foremost Summer Theatre since 1933. This not-for-profit summer stock theatre produces professional, high-quality musical theatre. The theatre runs May - October. Stars that have appeared on stage include Jean Stapleton, Gene Wilder, Bette Davis, and Van Johnson. More recently Sally Struthers, Carson Kressley, Lorenzo Lamas, Charles Shaughnessy, Rachel York, Stefanie Powers have been seen on the theatre stage.
- Ogunquit Museum of American Art, 543 Shore Rd., Phone: +1 207 646-4909, . This museum is right on the water and offers a variety of American artwork. The outside grounds are a mix of unique sculptures, beautiful gardens, and views of seaside cliffs. It’s never too crowded and has a very informative and friendly staff. Great place to go on a rainy day or for a quick peak at the artwork.
- Scenic Walk at Marginal Way, A beautiful, slightly larger than one mile, paved path along the seashore that connects both Perkins Cove and Ogunquit Beach. This popular walkway has plenty of opportunities to rest and take in the scenery with a large amount of benches. It’s a great trail for couples and families alike. There are many stairways that can lead you closer to the beach, but one must be careful when venturing down these. Many tidal pools have formed and give you a chance to go down and explore some small sea life. More than 100,000 people walk the Marginal Way every year. Dogs are not allowed April through September.
- Perkins Cove, Small, quaint, old-fashioned fishing town. Plenty of great restaurants that offer an ocean view while you eat. Variety of gift shops, restaurants, and galleries. Boats settled in the local harbor gives a great view. Can get a little crowded in the summer time during peak tourist season, so parking may be limited.
- Ogunquit Memorial Library, 166 Shore Rd., Phone +1 207 646- 9024, Charming and old-fashioned building with no computers. Historic photos are put up on the walls. Has good amount of book related to the history of New England. Known for its great book sales.
- Mount Agamenticus, Great place for hiking and biking. Has an abundance of different trails. Views of Mt Washington, Portsmouth, NH, Ogunquit, Cape Neddick. Picnic areas and public restrooms available. Not very crowded, peaceful getaway.
- Bunny Clark Deep Sea Fishing, Perkins Cove. Phone: +1 207 646-2214, . Half and Full Day Trips.
- Finestkind Scenic Cruises, Barnacle Billy's at Perkin's Cove. Phone: +1 207 207-646-5227, Fax: +1 207 363-3320, . May-October. Scenic cruise along Ogunquit shore, history of lobstering, cruise to Nubble Lighthouse, and cocktail cruises.
- Leavitt Fine Arts Theatre, 259 Main Street . Phone: +1 207 646-3123.  Local theatre that runs films in summer theater atmosphere.
- Ogunquit Beach Beautiful and clean beach. Gay section. Hourly parking. Surfboard and boogie board rentals. Can be crowded during the summer, peaceful in the off-season. Cold water. Public restrooms available. Large beach doesn't feel overcrowded.
- Ugly Anne - Deep Sea Fishing, Perkins Cove. Phone: +1 207 646-7202, . Half and full day trips,
- World Within Sea Kayaking, 746 Ocean Avenue. Phone: +1 207 646-0455 . Kayak rentals and paddling routes.
Long a town of art galleries and sights for keen travelers, there is plenty to see while browsing the shops in Perkins Cove or in Ogunquit Village center.
- Animal Instinct, 232 Main St, Phone: +1 207 646-7728. . Animal Instinct is a small but packed store full of games, toys and stuffed animals for children of all ages.
- Books Ink, 15 Shore Road, downtown Ogunquit, ☎ +1 207 641-8580, . hours are seasonal. What a surprise-- tucked in among a row of standard souvenir shops is this bookstore, which is almost worth the trip if you have a bright kid just for the amazing collection of recreational math books and wonderful K-12 kids educational math and science books, though there are gems in every section (i.e. Winnie the Pooh in Latin in the language section, etc)
- Z Name Shop, 1 Beach Street, +1 207-646-4990, . Located directly in downtown, this shop is a great place for tourists to find souvenirs.
- Nearby Kittery, 20 minutes south, has over 120 outlet stores.
- 98 Provence, 262 Shore Road, Phone: +1 207 646-9898, .
- Amore Breakfast, 178 Shore Rd, ☎ +1 207 646-6661, . The setting for the mystery novel "Morning Glory" written by Bernadette Carson.
- Angelina's Ristorante, 655 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-0545.
- Arrows, Berwick Road, Phone: +1 207 361-1100, . Voted one of America's top 50 restaurants by Gourmet Magazine. Set in an 18th century farmhourse, overlooking flower, herb and vegetable gardens.
- Barnacle Billy's, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-5575, .
- BeachFire Bar & Grille, 658 Main Street, Rte 1, Phone: 207-646-8998, . Footbridge Village, live music, great food, two bars and outdoor firepit.
- Bessie's, 8 Shore Road., Phone: +1 207 646-0888,  Family friendly old fashioned home cooking right in the center of town. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner & Bar daily year round.
- Bintliffs, 335 Main St., Phone: +1 207 646-3111, . Chef owned and operated. Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.
- Blue Star Grille, 355 Main St, Phone: +1 207 641-2200.
- Blue Water Inn & Restaurant, 111 Beach St, Phone: +1 207 646-5559.
- Blue Willow Restaurant, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-3331.
- Breaking New Grounds, A cafe at the end of Perkins Cove. Sit and drink your coffee whle enjoying a spectacular view.
- Captain's Daughter Internet Cafe, 48 Beach St, Phone: +1 207 646-7071.
- Charlie's Restaurant, Beach St, Phone: +1 207 646-8280.
- Cove Café Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-2422.
- Five-O Shore Road, 50 Shore Rd, Phone: +1 207 646-5001, . Fine dining. $25-$35.
- Gypsy Sweethearts, 30 Shore Rd, Phone: +1 207 646-7021, . Imaginative offerings and great desserts. $17-$30.
- Harbor Candy Shop, 248 Main St, Phone: +1 207 646-8078, . Exquisite selections of a large variety of candy and chocolates, Harbor Candy Shop is a must for all with a sweet tooth. Some homemade treats you can expect to find are fudge, cordials, taffy and chocolate covered marshmallows.
- Jackie's Too, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-4444, . Right at the shore.
- Jonathan's, 92 Bournes Lane, Phone: +1 207 646-4777, . Fine dining. $18-$26.
- Julie's Ristorante, 369 Main St, Phone: +1 207 641-2522, .
- Katie's on Shore Road, 261 Shore Road, ☎ +1 207-641-2780, .
- MC Perkins Cove, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-6263, . Daily lunch, dinner in an upscale casual setting with great views. Offers a raw bar, lounge, two bars, two beautiful dining rooms, and a private dining room. $24-$34.
- Oarweed Restaurant and Lobster Pound, Perkins Cove, Phone: +1 207 646-4022, .
- Old Village Inn, 250 Main St, Phone: +1 207 646-7088, .
- Ogunquit Lobster Pound, 504 Main St, Phone: +1 207 646-2516. This Ogunquit institution serves more lobsters in a week than many restaurants do in a lifetime. You can choose to personally select your own live lobster for your dinner. You can either eat inside the restaurant or outside on picnic tables. For desserts, they feature a delicious chocolate lava cake a la mode. The parking lot is shared with The Egg & I, which is across the street.
- Roberto's Italian Cuisine, 82-84 Shore Rd, Phone: +1 207 646-8130.
- Vinny's East Coast Grille, 696 Main St, Phone: +1 207 646-5115, . Italian. $12-$22.
- West Meadow Pub at the Meadowmere Resort, 74 Main Street, Toll free: +1 800-633-8718, . Pub fare in season, live entertainment every Saturday
- Yum Mee Restaurant, 705 Main St, Phone: +1 207 641-8788, . Chinese.
- The Egg & I, Route 1, Phone: +1 207 646-8777, . Breakfast. Located on one of Ogunquit's main roads, this moderate-sized, family oriented pancake and waffle house is easily accessible. They offer breakfast, lunch and a kids' menu. $7-$12 per person. Accept only cash and traveler's checks. Parking is shared with Ogunquit Lobster Pound across the street. Lines form quickly so go early.
- Bread and Roses (Bakery in Ogunquit), 246 Main Street, ☎ 207-646-4227, . Excellent selection of dessert-type baked goods, and gourmet and regular coffee.
- Clay Hill Farm Restaurant, 220 Clay Hill Road, ☎ 207-361-2272, . Modern cuisine and special event venue with emphasis on local Maine style. Includes eleven acres of wildlife sanctuary.
- BeachFire Bar & Grille, 658 Main Street, Rte 1, Phone: 207-646-8998, . Footbridge Village, live music, great food, two bars and outdoor firepit. Live Music on weekends and huge firepit.
- Maine Street, 195 Main Street, ☎ 207-646-5101, . Full bar with bar food menu and dancing. LGBT crowd. Very small amount of parking in front.
- The Front Porch, 9 Shore Rd, ☎ 207-646-4005, . Piano bar upstairs attracts a large LGBT crowd.
- Katie's on Shore Road, 261 Shore Road, ☎ +1 207-641-2780. Very close to the Ogunquit Playhouse.
Ogunquit has a very large number of places to stay.
- Beaches Motel & Cottages, 773 Post Road, Phone: +1 207 216-4065,
- Hoyt's Cottages 2, 2 River Road, Cape Neddick, ME, 03907, Phone: +207 363-3400,
- King's Court Motel, Beach Street, Phone: +1 207 646-9338, .
- The Admiral's Inn, 87 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-7093, . Just one block to the entrance of the Marginal Way and two blocks to the village centre. Two pools, two hot tubs, fire pit, gym, spa, lounge and pub.
- The Anchorage By the Sea, 125 Shore Road, Phone: +1 207 646-9384, .
- Colonial Village Resort, 548 Main St, Phone 207-646-2794 or 800-422-3341, . One mile away from downtown. The resort offers one large outdoor pool, a small indoor pool and hot tub, tennis court and small arcade. Tide-permitting, guests can walk or use the resort's rowboats to cross the tidal river to get to Ogunquit Beach.
- The Dolphin Den 69 Cottage Street, Ogunquit Center, Phone 207-646-5639  welcomes DOGS (call first!) and is located next to a public park in the town's center. Private entrances to all suites. Short walk to the Marginal Way and Ogunquit Beach.
- The Dunes on the Waterfront, 518 Main Street, Phone: 207-646-2612, toll free: 1-888-243-8637, . Situated on 12 secluded and beautifully landscaped acres, this is only 300 Yards from Ogunquit Beach. Apr - Oct.
- Footbridge Beach Motel, 668 Main St. at Ocean St., Phone: +1 207 646-2796, . On trolley route, 3 minute walk to beach.
- The Mariner Resort, 734 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-5931, .
- The Meadowmere Resort, 74 Main Street, Toll free: +1 800-633-8718, . Resort rooms and suites near Ogunquit center, tons of amenities.
- The Morning Dove, 13 Bourne Lane, ☎ 207-646-3891, .
- Ogunquit Beach Inn, 67 School Street, Phone: +1 207 646-1112, . Gay owned B&B. All private baths. Village Centre, walk to beach, Marginal Way and nightlife email@example.com
- Ogunquit Suites, 731 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-8336, .
- Ogunquit Resort Motel, 719 Main Street, Phone: +1 207 646-8336, . Ogunquit’s largest pool, giant outdoor hot tub and exercise room. Rooms with CCTV, AC, Mini Fridges. Kids stay free, free local calls, free continental breakfast, free HBO.
- Yardarm Village Inn, 406 Shore Road, Phone: +1 207 646-7006, . Quiet & Cozy B&B near Perkins Cove.
- The Cliff House Resort & Spa, Shore Road, Phone: +1 207 361-1000, . Please be advised the Cliff House is about three miles from the village center, and not located in the town of Ogunquit
- Inn Seasons Resorts - The Falls at Ogunquit, 630 Main St., Phone: +1 207 417-7220, .
- The Grand Hotel, 276 Shore Road, Toll free: +1 800-806-1231, . Two room suites near Perkins Cove, Microwave, refrigerator.
The nearby villages of Wells, Saco and Kennebunkport hold some attractions.
- Wells (Maine) Wells is about ten minutes north on U.S. Highway 1. The town of Wells has shorefront attractions and the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge, .
- Saco is about thirty minutes north. Saco is known for its museum,  and the Funtown Splashtown USA theme park,