Nusa Lembongan is a small island off the southeast coast of the main island of Bali and is approximately 8 square kilometres in size. It is one of three neighbouring islands, the others being much larger Nusa Penida and tiny Nusa Ceningan. The three islands are separated from Bali by the Badung Strait.
Fast becoming one of Bali's most popular attractions, this island paradise is a world away from the pollution, hassles and hectic pace of Bali. There are no hawkers, no traffic, magnificent scenery and this is the perfect place to put your feet up and relax. Popular with families weary of travel warnings this island is a safe spot to enjoy that perfect Bali Holiday. Main activities include surfing, diving and snorkeling. Some tourists may find the island a little slow after the pace of southern Bali.
The water is some of the clearest you can find and aqua blue in color; good for diving and snorkeling with abundant marine life and live coral. Surfing is crowded but nice waves. Several white sand beaches which are rarely crowded. Learn about the seaweed farming industry on the island.
There are two main beach areas which have traditionally attracted visitors. Jungut Batu in the north is the bigger of the two with a myriad of hotels, restaurants and cheap eateries and traditionally used to attract the backpackers, families and surfers. Now with the development of the higher Bukit area the latter is fast becoming the main attraction and provides some of the best accommodation on the island. The views from the Bukit are second to none on Nusa Lembongan. Sunsets are best viewed along the beachfront.
Mushroom Bay to the south-west of Jungut Batu is a quaint, attractive and sheltered bay. It is a nice spot after 3pm when the day trippers have gone home and it has a great white sandy beach along with some cozy little restaurants that line the beach. Further south the lesser known beaches either side of the Devil's Tear outcrop are increasingly drawing more visitors.
The only realistic way (although you can charter a helicopter) to reach Nusa Lembongan from Bali is by boat. There are several options according to budget and speed. Most of the scheduled services leave from Sanur Beach at the end of Jalan Hangtuah and involve getting your feet wet. The exact departure and arrival point on this beach depends on the tide. Other services run from Benoa Harbour and there are local public boat services to and from Padangbai and Kusamba in east Bali but these are not recommended.
From Sanur Beach:
- Scoot Fast Boat ,  Tel: +61 361 285522. Leaves from Sanur beach. Scoot operates fast boats which take you to either Mushroom Bay or Jungut Batu for US$45.00 return (Adults). Hotel vehicle transfers are included. The tickets can be bought from the Scoot office next to Dunkin' Donuts in Jalan Hangtuah, Sanur opposite the Sanur Paradise Plaza Beach Hotel, or on the beach near the departure point. It takes 30-40 minutes from Sanur. Leaving Sanur 9.30am, 1.30pm & 4pm. Leaving Nusa Lembongan 8.30am, 11.30am & 3pm.
- The Tanis Lembongan Express Tel: +61 361 7432344. , . Speed boat service to and from Mushroom Bay taking 25-35 minutes from Sanur Beach near Grand Bali Beach Hotel. Return fare US$ 45.00/person and one way US$ 27.00/person including hotel pick up. Scheduled departure from Sanur beach at 12.00 and 16.00 and departure back to Sanur from from Mushroom Bay on Lembongan at 10.30 and 15.00. Price excluding transfers US$ 20.00/pp one way and 40.00/pp roundtrip.Also offers surf safaris and day cruises. Special charters from Padang Bay US$ 90.00/one way.
- Perama, a local transfers-only operator for the budget traveler, without same day return, Rp 100,000 one way, and has a network of connecting bus-links from around Bali. Boat departures daily at 10.30am. The ride across is approximately 90 minutes. The office of Perama Sanur can be found at friendly Warung Pojok in Jalan Hangtuah. Daily Perama buses depart from here to Ubud, Kuta, the airport, Padangbai (for Lombok) and now also Amed.
- Public slow boat,  depart daily from Sanur beach public boat at 08.00am in front of Ananda Hotel ornear the Grand Inna Bali Beach Hotel. They can be a bit sketchy at times and are usually very crowded. No same day return facility. The ride across is approximately 90 minutes. Departs Sanur at 08.00 price including transfers is Rp 100,000/person/one way.Departs at 10.30, price including is Rp. 130,000/person. Pick up hotel area Kuta, Seminyak, and Sanur, Others area with extra charge. Booking Return including hotels transfers. Further information and booking please call +62 0361 7432344 (24 hours).
- Public fast boat,  30 minutes by speed boat from Sanur to Nusa Lembongan. Departs Sanur daily at 12.30, 2.30, 16.00 and departs Nusa Lembongan at 10.30, 13.00, 15.00. Price including hotel transfers Rp. 240,000 per person/oneway and excluding transfers Rp.200,000 per person/oneway. Pick-up from hotels in Kuta, Seminyak and Sanur and other areas with an extra charge. Further information and booking please call Wayan Kariana at 0361 7432344 or Roni 0813 53305555.
From Benoa Harbour:
- BlueWater Express  BlueWater Express has a high speed boat service from Bali International Marina at Benoa Harbour direct to Nusa Lembongan. This service continues on to the Gili islands in Lombok, allowing visitors to island hop all the way from Bali to Lombok. Hotel transfers in Bali are included in the fare. The boats are high-powered, large capacity speed boats which cover the distance in less than 30 minutes in normal sea conditions. Departure time is 10.00am from Bali to Lembongan, 11.00am from Lembongan to Gili, 13.30 from Gili to Lembongan, then 15.30 from Lembongan to Bali. More services may be added. Tel +62 81338419911 or .
- Island Explorer Cruises, Tel: +62 361728088 , . Transfer only or day cruise include lunch & activities, super fast boats or leisurely sailing yacht to island. Departs Benoa at 9am yacht or 10.30AM fast boat. Does pick up from hotels.
- Bounty Cruises  has a high speed catamaran service for US$ 35 one-way.
If you have limited time a good option is to take a one day cruise: on a twin-hull boat under sail you'll reach the island within 1.5 hours (drinks and snacks are available on board). On the island you can take part in a mangrove forest trip, snorkeling, banana boat ride, glass bottom boat ride, sea-kayaking. A lunch and swimming-pool are also available. The approximate price is US$ 60.
The cliffs of south-west Nusa Lembongan make for excellent walking
This is a nice place to walk. A rocky coastal path links nearly all the guest houses and hotels. Most trips will take you less than two hours. The less developed south-western area of the island has some spectacular coast paths which provide easy walking, great views back to Bali and spectacular sunsets. Bicycles can be rented at many places and the mainly flat roads are quite well surfaced. Motorbikes are also widely available for rent but may be unnecessary given the short distances involved - the island is only 4 km end to end. You can cross on foot or by bike to the small neighbouring island of Nusa Ceningan via a scenic suspension bridge.
Visitors have commented in the past that a good accurate map of Nusa Lembongan is hard to find. In July 2009 a new free map was made available. Details of how to obtain a complimentary copy are in a blog post here  or from the map owner here.
A water plume at Devil's Tear, Nusa Lembongan
- Devil's Tear. A rocky outcrop betwen Dream Beach and Sunset Beach. Spectacular crashing waves and water plumes.
- Dream Beach. A wonderful hidden white sand beach on the south coast.
- Mangrove Forest. Northern Nusa Lembongan has an extensive forest of mature mangroves which can be explored in a jukung outrigger boat.
- Puncak Sari Temple. The largest temple on the island. Good views over the straits to Bali.
- Seaweed Farms. Visit the Lembongan Village seaweed farms; the view across the estuary to Nusa Ceningan is spectacular.
- Sunset Beach. A beautiful beach with white sand and crashing waves.
- Sunsets. One thing not to miss on Nusa Lembongan. The Sunset over Bali is quite extraordinary. Can be viewed from any west facing part of the island but Jungut Batu beach is especially popular. A more rural alternative is to go to Nusa Ceningan and view the sunset from one of the west facing high ridges - breathtaking.
- Suspension Bridge. Walk or bike the suspension bridge between Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan. The latter is worth some exploration. It is a very small island but hilly. Excellent views over Nusa Lembongan back to Bali from the central ridge of high ground.
- The Underground House. Visit the Underground House in Nusa Lembongan Village
Nusa Lembongan is a well known surf destination with three popular breaks. There is a thriving surf scene in Jungut Batu.
Diving and snorkelling is excellent in the crystal clear waters. A number of reputable dive shops are present on the island and snorkellers can hire gear from their hotel or on the beach.
This is an excellent island for walking and cycling. Scooters can be hired easily but lots of people find they do not need one.
- Bali Diving Academy Lembongan, Bungalo No7, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 (0)361 270252, . . A PADI 5 Star Dive Resort
- Bali Lembongan Scuba, Jungut Batu, . A PADI Dive Centre located in Jungut Batu.
- Big Fish Diving, Jungut Batu, . . Offers daily diving, PADI courses and Manta/Mola specials.
- World Diving, Pondok Baruna, Jungut Batu, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . The island's full PADI 5 Star Dive Centre. All courses are offered from Discover Scuba Diver through to Assistant Instructor. This is the only dive school in Lembongan with a purpose built training pool.
- Alam Nusa Spa, Mushroom Bay, ☎ +62 81338377482 or 81337912008. . Offers Balinese Massage and many kinds of treatments.
- Lulur Spa, Batu Karang Resort, ☎ +6236624880. . Nusa Lembongan's first complete spa with rooms for facials, massages, pedicure, manicure and hair treatments. Local products are used as well as some imported from Australia. Each room is set with ambient music and air-conditioned. Changing rooms with clean treated hot water and a relaxation room are provided.
Virtually any place you stay on Nusa Lembongan will have a cafe/restaurant attached to it. These can be of hugely variable quality. There are numerous local warungs to choose from, many of which serve excellent local fare. The higher end resorts all have their own in-house restaurants again of variable standard. Fish is a great option as it is all caught locally.
- Ketut Warung. One of the best local warungs on the island, great atmosphere, huge plates, really good Indonesian and Thai food at really cheap prices. The owners, the Ketut Malom family, are really friendly and fantastic hosts so it's also a good way to discover the real Nusa Lembongan! Highly recommended.
- The Tanis Sunset Dinner Cruise, Mushroom Bay, ☎ +62 361 7432344. Dinner cruise on a traditional outrigger. A different way to explore Mushroom Bay at night. A set menu dinner which includes snack and cocktail on board, complimentary a glass of Bali wine during dinner and hotel transfers.
- Warung Sunset, Sunset Beach, ☎ +628123621633. A local beach side restaurant with very nice views. Serving beers, cocktails, mocktails and local foods including grilled jacket fish. Warung Sunset is open for breakfast, lunch and special BBQ on the beach and can also help with free transport (motor bike/pick up and drop, car must be more than 5 person). The owner is Mr. Criss: email@example.com.
- Cafe Bali, Mushroom Bay. A great place to have a beer and watch the clear sea and stunning view back to Bali. This is also one of the better restaurants on the island.
- Scooby Doo Bar & Restaurant, Jungut Batu. Sports bar and restaurant overlooking the bay. Enjoy a cool beer while watching the sun go down over Bali.
- Bungalo No7, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 (0)81-337-050030 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Enjoy staying in the beautiful mature gardens and dine right at the edge of the beach. In the evening sip your favourite beverage to soft music in the lounge. Clean fan-cooled rooms around a lovely garden right on the beach. Rp 70,000 to 150,000.
- Jennys Bed & Breakfast, Nusa Ceningan, ☎ +62 (0)81-236277650 (Jenny) (email@example.com). Enjoy staying in the beautiful new opened bungalows at the tip of Nusa Ceningan. The most remote place on the whole island! Clean wonderful bungalows and a superb breakfast right at the beach. Even a motorbike is available. Friendly US manager and local guidance. They can arrange pick up in Jungut Batu. Rp 200,000.
- Lembongan Beach Retreat Bungalows, Jungut Batu, ☎ 0878 6131 3468 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Six renovated bungalow rooms - some with stunning bathrooms. Situated on the Jungut Batu Sunset Beach beachfront in front of Shipwrecks surf break. Close to the many waterfront eating houses & nightly entertainment. Clean, freshly painted rooms, new linen, nice bathrooms with vanity and mirror, western toilets and shower. Lovely gardens with coral-edged paths. A quiet & peaceful retreat but only a few meters from the many restaurants, eateries & entertainment along the beachfront. Balinese cooking classes can be arranged & yoga classes are available on request. Special Balinese meals on request. Australian owned & operated. Rp 200,000 to 300,000.
- Linda's Bungalows, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 8123600867 (email@example.com), . Rooms are clean with nice views of Shipwrecks surfing break. Nice sandy beach. Rooms have cold saltwater showers, deck chairs and seating, fresh linen and towels. Their restaurant is recommended; good burgers, daily specials, big cheap pancakes, American breakfast, etc. The most expensive item on the menu is Rp 25,000. Rp 85,000.
- Nanuk's Bungalow, ☎ +62 82897006977 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Local and special bungalows between Playgrounds and Mushroom Bay. These bungalows are two storey wooden houses built in an artistic Balinese style (Lumbung/hut). Facilities: swimming pool, bar & restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, double/twin rooms, bathrooms are attached to each hut, towel in the room, shampoo, bath foam, mosquito net, ceiling fan, balcony, laundry on request, massage, motorbike rental and a car. Romantic garden views. US$ 45 to 50, includinge continental breakfast.
- Pondok Baruna Guest House and Restaurant, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 812 390 0686 (email@example.com), . All rooms are doubles or twins furnished with classic bamboo furniture and traditional Balinese carvings. The bathrooms, however, are en suite, western style. Baruna's restaurant serves a fantastic selection of home cooked traditional Balinese and Javanese dishes, with daily specials dreamed up by the resident chef. Staying at Pondok Baruna offers you the best of both worlds, the chance to get the adrenaline pumping with some thrilling scuba diving and the serene island setting in which to chill out and unwind. There is a purpose built dive swimming pool in the new garden complex which is available to all guests at Pondok Baruna. Rp 80,000.
- Secret Garden Bungalows, ☎ +62 81353136861 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Budget accommodation in a tropical garden, only 50m from the beach. The 9 fan-cooled rooms are clean and spacious and have unique semi-outdoor bathrooms. Double/twin rooms Rp 80,000 per night and facilities include book exchange and tourist info, outdoor shower for surfers, sofa area for relaxation, diving & snorkeling. Located behind Baruna & Scooby Doo, beside the black temple. Halfway between Shipwrecks & Playgrounds surf breaks.
- Coconuts Beach Resort, ☎ +62 361728088 (email@example.com), . A well-established traditional ocean front resort with air-con or fan-cooled villas, en-suite bathrooms, hot water, 2 pools, restaurant, bar, internet, Indovision . All villas have spectacular views of surf breaks and Mount Agung on Bali. from US$ 36.
- Dream Beach Huts, Dream Beach, ☎ +62 81 338 737344 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Right on the beach front at Dream Beach (south coast) with ocean views, spectacular sunsets and crashing waves. Facilities: lounge chairs and hammocks on the beach, laundry service, pool table, motorbike rental, cafe, bar and restaurant, mini library, mosquito nets, towels in the room, open air private bathrooms, fan-cooled, balconies, king size beds, Balinese massage and extra pillows.
- Mainski Lembongan Resort, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62361 9237 322 or +628155 828 9123 (email@example.com), . On Jungut Batu Beach in front of Shipwrecks surf break. Fan-cooled and air-conditioned rooms plus luxury suites, villas and a beachfront honeymoon suite. Newly renovated & upgraded resort featuring: swimming pool on the Beach, poolside sun lounges, bar & restaurant, games area (pool table & table tennis) and WiFi internet. Prices per Double room/per night: Standard fan-cooled US$ 28, deluxe fan US$31, deluxe air-con US$ 37, luxury Suites US$ 74, 3 bedroom villas US$140, Honeymoon suite US$150. All including breakfast and tax. Mainski's "Sunset Beat" restaurant/bar features a traditional indonesian warung/buffet with delicious local food, an International a-la-carte menu & an Aussie style BBQ every night. The "Sunset Beat" beachfront & poolside bar is unique to Lembongan in that it features a games area with pool table/table tennis, Music DVD entertainment on the giant screen nightly, great cocktail list & Icy cold beers. Mainski is Australian owned and operated.
- Lumbung Bali Huts, Mushroom Bay, ☎ 62 81337536464. Right on the Mushroom Bay beach-front. Room rate includes breakfast, snorkeling (for stays of more than 3 night) and kayak activities. US$ 60.
- The Tanis Villas, Mujshroom Bay, ☎ +62 361 7432344 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Villa facilities: open air shower, mosquito net, air conditioned and fan cooled, towels, refrigerator, massage room, table tennis, TV room with international channels, internet access, BBQ dinner on the beach, 24 hour free doctor consulting service. Overlooks Mushroom Bay. Rates include: daily breakfast, tax and service charge. Only 10 metres from the white sand beach of Mushroom Bay. US$ 45 to 90.
- Playgrounds, ☎ +62 3662 4524 (email@example.com), . Clean double rooms with air-conditioned at Rp 450,000 per night and fan-cooled at Rp 400,000). Family rooms are offered at Rp 500,000 and villas for AU$ 200-250 per night. Nice views over the bay.
- Shipwrecks Beach Villa, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 81 338 032 900 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A timber villa just in from Shipwrecks surfbreak, with three bedrooms and impressive living/dining/AV area overlooking a large private garden. All bedrooms feature both air-conditioning and ceiling fans and the attached private garden bathrooms have hot water. AV Room is equipped with satellite TV/DVD facilities, board games, books etc. Breakfast is included and rooms are serviced daily. The villa can be rented as a whole or just a room.
- Villa Atas Nusa Lembongan, (email@example.com), . A fully self-contained single villa which has on the upper level: 2 king bedrooms (or 1 king size and 2 singles) 2 bathrooms and an open living area. Sleeps 4 plus day-bed in the lounge. On the ground level: a fully self contained air-conditioned king bedroom. Overlooks all three main surfbreaks: Playgrounds, Lacerations and Shipwrecks. The ground level unit features indoor/outdoor living at its best with an open lounge that borders the plunge pool and an outdoor dining area that steps down to the garden. Sleeps 2 plus 2 daybeds. Solar hot water system and CD player on both levels.
- Ware Ware Surf Bungalows, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 3618070181, . 9 standard rooms and 1 family room. Fan-cooled, new and clean with panoramic views. Nicely furnished with wooden antique beds with mosquito net. Overlooking Sanghiang Bay with its clear sapphire-blue waters.
- Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa, Jungut Batu, ☎ +6236624880 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A 5 star boutique resort with complete facilities including Muntig's restaurant, bar, day spa, 25 metre lap pool, 9 x 9 metre swim up pool bar, 9 x 9 metre infinity edge pool, steam room, gymnasium, day lounge, wedding pavilion, conference facility and probably some of the best views on the island. Situated away from the more noisy and crowded Mushroom Bay. All rooms have air-conditioning, internet, safety box, 220 thread cotton sheets, king size double beds, mini bars and turn down service. The outdoor bathrooms and toilets have spectacular views over the surf breaks and across to Mt Agung in Bali. Has its own water and sewage treatment plants so the water you use is clean and your carbon footprint is minimized. Rooms from US$ 232 per night inclusive of all government tax and service charges and American breakfast.
- Indiana Kenanga Villas, Jungut Batu, ☎ +6236624471 (email@example.com), . A French owned and run luxury suite/villa resort in the Jungut Batu area which opened in July 2009. Offers six 1 bedroom suites and two 2 bedroom villas. Rates US$ 120 to 170 for a suite and US$ 320 to 370 for a two bedroom villa.
- Villa Shambala, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Two bedroom oceanfront private villa with cliff edge swimming pool. One of the very few private villas available for rental on Nusa Lembongan. US$ 120.
- International phone operators: 101.
- International Direct Dialing prefix: 001, 007, or 008.
- 108 from a landline or 0361-108 from a mobile phone.
There are well signed public internet cafes in the Jungut Batu area. Expect to pay about RP 30,000 per hour. Service is sometimes very slow.
Some of the better places to stay have wireless internet capability for guests.
The vast majority of visitors to Nusa Lembongan leave the way they came in, ie. back to Bali.
There are options to continue eastwards to Lombok though. Blue Water Express  offers a daily (currently daily but check first) Nusa Lembongan to Gili Islands and Lombok service departing Jungut Batu at 11.00 am for Rp 590,000 one way.
For the adventurous, a side trip to Nusa Penida island is an option.