Nordlingen is a city in Bavaria.
Nordlingen is 70km northwest of Augsburg and has a population of 20,000. The city lies within the Ries Basin, a 25km crater caused when a meteorite struck the earth 15 million years ago. This is one of the best preserved craters on earth and was used by US astronauts to train for the moon landing.
The city is surrounded by a wall, built in the 14th century, which tracks the rim of the crater. In the center of the city is St Georgskirsche. From here, 5 main roads radiate to the wall, which has 12 gates.
Deutsche Bahn  operates hourly train service to Munich (€21, 2 hours), Augsburg (€12, 1 hour), and Stuttgart (€18, 2 hours).
Touring Europabus  operates daily service between all cities on the Romantic Road.
Verkehrsverbund Grossraum Nürnberg (VGN) Regional Bus 501 operates between Nordlingen's Rathaus and Dinkelsbuhl and Feuchtwangen with further connections to Nuremberg.
The city is very small and can be covered by foot. The tourist offices runs daily tours in the summer at 2pm and 8:30pm for €3.
- Radsport Bockle, Remlinger Strasse 19. Rents bicycles for €8 per day.
- St Georgskirche. Built in 1499, it is one of the largest churches in Germany. Climb the 90m tower for the best views overlooking the city and the crater. Church: Free; Watchtower: €2.
- Rieskrater Museum, Eugene-Shoemaker-Platz 1, . 10:00-12:00 &13:30 - 16:30; Closed Mondays. Situated in an old barn, this museum shows the impacts of meteor collisions with earth. Moon rock, on loan from NASA, is on display. €3.
- Bayerisches Eisenbahn Museum, behind the Hauptbahnhof, . 100 trains on display. On Sundays in the summer, you can take a 2 hour return trip to Dinkelbuhl on an old-fashioned locomotive. Museum: Adult €4, Child €2; Train ride: Adult: €18, Child €12.
- Stadtmuseum Nordlingen, Vordere Gerbergasse 1, . Displays local costumes. €3.
- Stadtmauermuseum Nordlingen, An der Löpsinger Mauer 3. Tue-Sun 10am-4:30pm April-October. Shows the history of the wall surrounding the city. €1.
- Walk Along the City Walls. It takes about an hour to circumnavigate the city. Free.
- Nördlinger Pfingstmesse. 14-day exhibition of local crafts, food, and beer.
Hotel NH Klösterle ****
Beim Klösterle 1
Tel: 09081 87080
Fax: 09081 87081