Nieu-Bethesda is a small villag in the Eastern Cape, most well-known for the Owl House.
A statue at the Owl House
From Middelburg (north) take the marked gravel road (27km).
From Graaff-Reinet (south) take the first turn off to Nieu-Bethesda - 25km gravel road.
From Cradock (east) take the Graaff-Reinet road. When at the T junction turn right towards Middelburg for 600m and then left towards Nieu-Bethesda for 27km.
- The Owl House, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1733, . Museum open daily from 8 am to 6 pm in summer and from 9 am to 5 pm in winter. A community effort to preserve the life work of Helen Martins, a home-bred artist who turned her house into an exhibit, until her suicide in 1976. Using raw materials, like concrete and glass, she and a Bushman artist sculpted the Owl House and its garden. Entry fee R10.
- James Kitching Fossil Interpretation Centre, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1733. See and learn how the area looked 280 million years ago. Spot fossils in the river bed.
- Donkey Cart tours, ☎ +27 (0)83 870-0381. Sam will take you on his donkey cart through town and will tell you all you need to know about the village.
- Bethesda Art Centre, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1731/729, . Art, music, dance, theatre ... visit the gallery, see a class in progress, take part in a workshop, or catch a performance at the magical open-air theatre.
- Creche, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1656. Visit the creche in the township.
There are several hiking areas around town.
- Egbert's Book and Coffee shop.. Enjoy coffee at Egbert's while you browse through his book shop. Art also for sale.
- Auntie Evelyn se plek, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1780. Traditional food served with township style.
- Sneeuwitjie Restaurant, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1656. An inspiring initiative serving tasty home cooking to raise funds for the community pre-school.
- The Brewery & 2Goat Deli, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1602. Visit the local brewery & deli to enjoy Bethesda beer and goat cheese.
- Waenhuis Pub & Grub, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1627. Enjoy meals & drinks in a nice atmosphere and at a fire during winter. Big screen for rugby and other big events.
- Ganora Guestfarm, (7km from Nieu-Bethesda), ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1302 (email@example.com), . Choose between a cozy cottage with rustic charm that sleeps 6 has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen and lounge or Double on-suite bedrooms also in old sheep pens that has been changed into very comfortable rooms. Various activities available, mountain biking trails, birding, guided tours to Bushmen Rock Art, private fossil & artifact museum, fossil walk and you can enjoy a swim in the rockpools at the canyon walk. Transport can be arranged.
- Owl House Backpackers, ☎ +27 (0)49 841-1642 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Dorm beds, doubles, singles and camping are available in this bright, clean home, previously a Buddhist meditation centre.