New Philadelphia, called New Philly by locals, is a small town and county seat of Tuscawaras County (which means "mouth of river") in southeastern Ohio. It's twin city, Dover, is immediately to the northwest and the two towns generally operate as one. In the early 1800s, the town was settled by pioneers, primarily immigrating from the Susquehanna Valley in the State of Pennsylvania.
- Akron-Canton Regional Airport is a straight shot up I-77, approximately 30 miles.
- Harry Clever Municipal Airport for the private pilot. Located in New Philadelphia, this is also the site of NASA Astronaut John Glenn's first solo airplane flight.
- I-77 provides direct access to New Philly via the exit at SR-39.
- Main Street New Philadelphia, , like many small towns in the 1970s and 80s, Downtown New Philly's businesses suffered with the advent of several enclosed shopping malls in the New Philly/Dover area. However, New Philly is experiencing a major revitalization of its downtown. New Philly's downtown was actually laid out as a replica of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The New Philly post office is also a replica of Independence Hall.
- Fort Laurens State Memorial, located in Bolivar (Tuscarawas County) on County Road 102 about 1/2 mile south of State Route 212. Exit I-77 at State Route 212, 330-874-2059 or 1-800-283-8914. Built in 1778 in an ill-fated campaign to attack the British at Detroit, a park commemorates the location and an outline of the fort remains along with archaeological artifacts.
- Kent State University - Tuscarawas Campus
- New Philadelphia High School and Quaker Stadium provided the famous college football coach, Woody Hayes, his first coaching job. Hayes would go on to coach at Miami University in Oxford (where he coached his future arch-rival Bo Shembechler of University of Michigan fame) before his building his legendary career with the NCAA Big Ten Conference, Ohio State University Buckeyes in Columbus.
- Ohio and Erie Canal , the canalway extends from Cleveland down through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Akron, Canton, New Philadelphia, Bolivar and Historic Zoar Village in Tuscarawas County.
- Roscoe Village
- Schoenbrunn Village is located on SR-259 in New Philadelphia, in Tuscarawas County. It can be easily accessed off of I-77, exit 81, approximately 4 miles southeast. Schoenbrunn is a preserved missionary village built by the Moravian Christian sect to convert Delaware Native Americans. Open September 6, 2005 - May 26, 2006, We-Sa 9:30AM-5PM, Su 12PM-5PM, admission fees, adults $7, children 6-12 $3, children under 6 free. Phone: +1 800 752-2711 or +1 330 339-3636.
- Sugarcreek and Alpine Hills Museum, , 106 W. Main St., Sugarcreek, +1 800 609-7592, displays contributions of Swiss, German and Amish heritage from early settlers to the Old Northwest Territory.
- Cy Young Museum, 221 W. Canal St., Newcomerstown, honors the legendary baseball pitcher, the namesake of the awards presented to the best pitcher in the American and National Baseball Leagues each year.
- Historic Zoar Village, .
- Tuscora Park, , 161 Tuscora Ave., NW, +1 330 343-4644, a park for all ages, including an antique carousel (1928) and other rides for the kids, swimming facilities, a duck pond and relaxing environment for a romantic stroll or picnic.
- Schoenbrunn Amphitheater, see Trumpet in the Land and The White Savage, , dramatizing the stories of the Moravian Delaware Tribe, the great chief Tecumseh and the short-lived triumphs and long-felt tragedies that took place during the settlement of the Old Northwest Territory with the peaceful settlement of Schoenbrunn followed by reciprocal massacres at Big Bottom and Gnadenhutten, serving as the locations for the tipping point in American - Native American relations.
- Canoe the Tuscawara River.
- Holmes County for Amish furniture and goods.
- Sugarcreek for antiques and crafts.
- Warther Carvings, , 327 Karl Avenue, Dover, +1 330 343-7513.
- Grinders, 3003 North Wooster Avenue, Dover, +1 330 602-3083.
- Several choices national motel chains along SR-39 just east of I-77.
- Atwood Lake Resort ,
- Burr Oak State Park Lodge.
Bed & Breakfast
Zoar was a communal village for 80 years. The historic town is a charming getaway with a handful of quant B&Bs.
- Cobbler Shop Bed & Breakfast, , 121 East Second Street, Zoar, +1 800 287-1547 or +1 330 874-2600.
- The Keeping Room Bed & Breakfast, , 214 Main Street, Zoar, +1 330 874-3181.
- Enchanted Pines Bed & Breakfast, Bolivar.
- Wild Horses Bed & Breakfast, Bolivar.
- Whispering Hills Bed & Breakfast Retreat, Dover / Zoarville.
- Olde World Bed & Breakfast, Dover.
WikiPedia:New Philadelphia, Ohio