| || |
|−|==Sleep== | |
|−|*The [http://www.hotel-alaska.com'''Hotel Alaska'''] Ctra. Madrid-Irún, km 403 - Altsasu, Navarra 31800, Spain. The Alaska Hotel is located in Alsasua, Navarra, between a number of forests and mountains of great beauty. Surrounded by american oaks of Aitzgorri mountains and close to the mountains of Urbasa, Andía and Aralar, the Hotel is an place where you can rest and enjoy the 4 seasons in plain nature.Visit our website at http://www.hotel-alaska.com | |
| || |
Revision as of 14:24, 23 July 2010
Navarre is a region in Northern Spain bordered by France, the Basque Country, Aragon, and La Rioja.
- Pamplona — made famous by Ernest Hemmingway in 'The Sun Also Rises.' It hosts the festival of San Fermin, with the running of the bulls (el encierro). The festival is celebrated every year for a week beginning on July 7.
- Tudela — the second largest city in Navarra with a population not higher than 40,000 people. Tudela is 94 km (60 miles) far from Pamplona, it's linked by a good highway and there are good connections by bus and train. It's used to be a big center of vegetables production although industry has been developed in the city. It has a beautiful cathedral from the Romanic and Gothic period.
- Pirineos de Navarra (Pyrenees of Navarre) and Montaña (Mountain zone): North part of Navarra where there is a lot of mountains (like "Mesa de los Tres Reyes", 2.424 m. or "Pico de Ory" 2.104 mts.). This is the "basque" and "green" Navarra where many villages and small towns basque is spoken and threre is a continental weather. It is bordered with France and Basque Country.
- Comarca de Pamplona (Pamplona metropolitan area): The most populous area of Navarre (half of the people of Navarra live here), with Pamplona, Barañáin or Burlada. It is a urban area. It's in the centre of the region.
- Tierra Estella (Estella Land): The historic part of Navarre with many medieval monuments and towns. The way to Santiago is here. The most important towns are Estella, Puente La Reina and Viana.
- Zona Media (Centre Area): It is a transition area between mountain zone and south zone, with important historic towns like Olite (was tha capital of the Kingdom of Navarre, with a wonderful Palace-Castle), Tafalla, Ujue, Andosilla or San Martín de Unx.
- Ribera de Navarra (South of Navarre): The south part of Navarre, only area that was occupied by the Muslims who founded Tudela, capital of this zone and the second city of Navarre. It is one of the most important areas of agriculture in Navarre and Spain.
Both Spanish and Basque (Español and Euskera) are official languages in Navarra. Spanish is more spread than Basque in Navarra, and everybody can speak Spanish in this land, but Basque is also spoken by a wide part of the population specially in the north of Navarra and Pamplona as a native language.
Pamplona has an airport that connects it with Madrid and Barcelona by regular flights. There are also connections with some other cities like Lisbon.
Pamplona has quite good railway system, although high speed trains won't be working until 2012, it has several trains every day to Madrid (3h), Barcelona (4h), Zaragoza (2h) and so on.
Navarra has a very good reputation for its food and restaurants sharing it mostly with the Basque cook.
These are some of the most typical products of Navarre:
Sparragus eaten with mayonaise.
Alcachofas vegetable typical from Tudela.
Piquillo peppers in the village of Lodosa, really tasty!
Txistorra/Chistorra is a kind of red sausage(made with pork meat), delicious.
Patxaran is the most typical alcoholic drink of Navarra. It's destilled with blackthrons and it has an intense red colour. It has 30º approximately.
Wines are also very famous in this region producing wines with Rioja label, and also with their own certification label (D.O. Navarra).