Nashik  is a city in the state of Maharashtra in Western India. It is a city of pilgrimage for many Hindus. It is believed the name "Nashik" was derived after the incident in Ramayan when Lakshman (Sri Ram's brother) chopped off the nose of Surpanakha (Ravans sister).
Nashik is widely known in India as a landing city for travelling to Triambakeshwar (30 KM from Nashik), which hosts one of the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva. It is believed that during ancient times, during transportation, the drops of Amrit fell into the Brahma-Kund at Triambakeshwar. This makes it one of the most popular religious travel destinations of India.
Nashik is also known as a transit station for devotees going to Shirdi, residence of Sai Baba (90 KM from Nashik).
Nashik is fairly cosmopolitan city. Although Marathi is the official language of the city and also the most common language spoken on the streets, most people also speak Hindi and English.
Attitudes in Nashik are liberal. The city used to be very traditional and conservative, but now is an open-minded culture and is gradually developing city.
The climate of Nashik is very pleasant. Nashik has three distinct seasons: summer, monsoon and winter. Summers are typically hot with maximum temperatures ranging from 35 to 42°C. The warmest month in Nashik is generally April as compared to the rest of the Deccan Plateau where it is May. November is normally a very pleasant month.
Nashik does not get very hot. Even during the peak of summer, the air is cool and standing under a tree can give respite form the heat. However, as sunlight can be intense leading to skin tan and sun-burn, be sure to carry and use sunscreens (above SPF-30).
The nights in Nashik are significantly cooler than most other parts in this region owing to its high altitude.
The average rainfall is approx 550mm. The city often receives local and heavy thundershowers with heavy downpours in June, which brings down the temperature. The rainy season can sometimes be gloomy, with cloud cover for days together.
Winters are generally dry and day temperatures can be as low as 24 - 28°C and temperatures at night as low as 5 - 8°C.
Nashik is 180 km from Mumbai (Bombay). There are frequent buses to Nashik from Dadar in Mumbai. It takes 4 to 5 hours by road. If you are not around Dadar, you can still take buses from Borivali (a key place on Western Railway Line) OR Thane (a key place on Central Railway Line). Also, a suburban railway (CR) to Kasara can be taken from few suburban railway stations beyond Dadar (like Kurla, Thane or even beyond). Once at Kasara, there are loads of connecting buses to Nashik and many other places, along with ample number of share-taxis (INR 50-60 per adult passenger, but with cramped sitting). (Kindly note there is no taxi service available in the late night. You can get held up after reaching Kasara Railway Station till the next morning)
Trains called 'Panchavati Express' and 'Godavari Express' also ply daily between Mumbai and Nashik. Word of caution, Nashik is on Central Railway line and Dadar Station is a sort of junction place for Central Railway and Western Railway, so make sure that you are at right side of the station (that is, East-side for Central Railway). There is also a daily train service between Pune and Nashik. It may be noted that the Railway Station (called "Nasik Road") is about 10 kms away from the main city. However, there are sufficiently frequent services of buses, auto-rikshaws, shared-taxis etc are available at fairly low fares.
You can also go by local frm kasara.
Kingfisher Red, the country's low-cost airline, started daily flights between Mumbai and Nashik (2 at present- April'09). These fly from the Chatrapati Shivaji Domestic Airport (Mumbai) to Nasik Ozar airport (which is about 25 kms from Nashik city).
There are also Taxi services (AC / non-AC) from Dadar (East side of the Railway station).
A rented car is the best option to move around the city. There is also a Nashik Darshan bus every day which shows you around the important tourist attractions in Nashik otherwise regional public transport service is also quite nice. Get the ticket for Nasik Darshan bus a day in advance to avoid inconvenience. Alternately you can take cheap and good autorikshaws.
- Sita Gufaa - Caves where Ram and Sita worshipped Lord Shiv during their exile. The shivlinga is still present at that same spot.
- Tapovan - Tapobhumi, Shurpanakhas nose fell here, Tasty Guavas, try them out.
- Panchavati - The most sacred place on Earth.
- Kalaram Temple - in Panchavati
- Ganga Ghat - Ramkunda, Panchavati
- Mineral Museum - Sinnar , Nashik . very precious different types of stones you can see here .
- Pandavaleni - Pandav Caves. located on Nasik - Mumbai highway
- Phalke Smaarak - Great landscape, Musical Fountain, Video songs, Buddha Smaarak, Water Park. located on foot of Pandav Caves hill
- Jain Mandir - has a 12 ton Panchdhatu idol of Bhagwan Mahavir. located at Vilholi on Nasik - Mumbai highway
- Veda Mandir - located on Trimbak road
- Chambharlena - Temple of Bhagwan Mahavir on a hillock inside a cave. Located on Dindori Road.
- Muktidham - big temple, picnic spot located at Nasik Road
- Bhaktidham - a temple. located on Peth Naka
- Someshwar - temples, picnic spot, boating , waterfall. located on Gangapur road.
- Sundarnarayan Temple
- College Road - happening place in Nasik. Malls, Restaurants, Shopping, Multiplex, Bliss Juice Bar, McDonalds, Cafe Coffee Day.
- Sula Wines - Winery offers tour and wine tasting
- Navshya Ganpati - A temple situated on banks of Godavari River, very scenic views
- Deolali Camp Cantonment Board, Artillery centre- Deolali camp's, Lewitt Mkt Is for Shopping, Deolali South has Temple hill, golf course, church, sun rise & set point as well
- Tarangan , Trimbak Road . This planetarium is named after Late shri Yashwantrao Chavan and was recently inaugurated by President Mrs Pratibha Patil. Daily 3 shows are conducted 1330 hrs in English, 1530 hrs in Hindi and 1730 hrs in Marathi. It is a wonderful experience.
- visit Goda Ghat(Godavari river edge).
- you can also enjoy trekking hills near to Nashik .
- The Gangapur Dam - alwayz crowded with youngsters
- The Dudhsagar Fall - near Gangapur Dam
- Stone Age Site - few kms from Gangapur village
- Anjaneri Parvat near Trimbakeshwar is well known for waterfalls during monsoon season
- a Bird Sanctuary Nandur-Madhmeshwar near Niphad - a mesmerizing place for nature and bird lovers
- Triambakeshwarr (One of the 12 jyotirlingas), straight ahead on triambak road. This is one of the 12 jyotirlings in India and is the most sacred place in nashik. Near by is also brahmagiri where lord shiva performed tandav dance. A must see for all visiting Nashik.
The old shopping centre of the city lies in the heart of the city at Main Road. Here you can get everything you need. A lot of upscale shops have mushroomed all over the city in recent years.
Canada corner is alwayz crowded with college going youngsters.
MG Road is the hot shopping destination .
You would get almost all brands like lee cooper , RBK , Adidas , Woodlands , Van Heusen , Proline , Pepe Jeans , D&G, levis , Provogue , Biba , Fabindia , Spyker and many more .
- Nashik City Centre Mall , Untwadi
- Big Bazaar , College Rd , Nashik Rd , Untwadi
- SK Mall , College Rd
- Pinnacle Mall , Golf Club
- Vishal Mega Mart , Bombay Naka
- Nashik Central , Trimbak Naka
- Pantloons , Untwadi
- Westside , Untwadi
- Crosswords , Untwadi
- Reliance Trends , Untwadi
- Reliance Digital , Untwadi
- Reliance Living Home , Untwadi
- Reliance Footprints , Untwadi
And chain stores like Reliance Fresh , Spencer's , Spinach , Subhiksha , More are present all over the city .
"Wamen Vishnu Thoart" Saraf Bazar,Nashik
- Tanishq Showroom , Samarth Ngr , Nashik
- Diamond Galaxy - Tanishq , Canada Corner , Nashik
- A K Gems - Agni , Nashik Rd
- Significant Moments , Nashik
- Adgaonkar Saraf , Saraf Bazar , Nashik
- Takle Bandhu , Saraf Bazar , Nashik
- Bafna Jewllers , Tilakwadi , Nashik
- P.R. Vaishampayan & Sons working under the brand name Sonchafa
- Govind Dande & Sons , Nashik Rd
- Rajmal Lakhichand Jewllers , Nashik
- Parekh Jewels , Colg Rd , Nashik
- Surana Jewllers , Canada Corner , Nashik.
- Cinemax , College Rd
- Cinemax , City Centre Mall
- Cinemax Regimental , Nashik Rd
- Divya Adlab , New Nashik (Cidco)
- Fame Multiplex , Nashik Rd
- SRS Cinemas , Nashik Rd
There are good restaurants all over the city.
Coffee Shops / Cafes on College Road : Bliss Juice Bar'" , "'Cafe Bollywood , 12 to 12 , Friendship , Cafe Coffee Day . 12 to 12 is gud resto for western cuisines .
- The most amazing dining experiences at Nashik are at Emerald Park Hotel . Jharoka serves some amazing Indian food comparable to the best in the country, Dhruva is the roof top barbecue and grill and also has a 24 hour cafe.
- Bliss Juice Bar'" near Jehan Circle. Serves authentic Juices, 80 types of Coffees and Teas, Milkshakes, Smoothies, Sandwiches, Wraps, Pizzas, Burgers and Desserts among other things.
- Three Sixty Degrees Coffee Shop , Talegaon , Nashik
- Nesta Coffee Shop , Mumbai - Agra Rd , Nashik
- Thali : Hotel Panchavati Yatri , Hotel Samrat , Purohit , Rajdhani,Chetana dining hall(cbs)
- Tradtional Maharashtrian Cuisine : Saheba, Bombay Naka
- Family Dining : Yahoo, Patang, Purohit.
- 24 Hour restaurant : Sukh Sagar in Panchavati Hotel complex, Hotel Samrat CBS
- Chinese : Seble Hotel , trimbak road, Carnival College Road, 21st centure Sharanpur Road
- If you want to eat something really tasty visit Kokni Darbar for delicious mughlai and North Indian food. The service is also very good.
- One Should not miss the famous VADA PAV at the Circle Cinema, The Shop located at Ashok Stumbh
- Farmaish Restaurant , Colg Rd
- Spice N Tadka Family Restaurant , Bytco Pt
- Rolls & Keema : Rolls Club - Near Bhosla Military School (towards the end of College Road)..
- Bon Appetit Restaurant - Pathardi Phata , Nashik
- Misal : Vihar at Gangapur naka, A tapri near Raviwar Karanja (next to Pethe High School),Tushar on college road, Ambika near Panchvati Karanja, Sham-sundar Satpur MTDC,
- Mama's Pav Bhaaji on College Road is a hot favourite of collegians. Mama's serves piping hot pav bhaaji and all kinds of chaat items.
- Bikaneri Bhujiawalla on College Road.
- Bhagvati's Chat: A famour chat joint near Kulkarni Garden on Sharanpur Road
- Sagar Sweets on College Road and Gangapur Road is famous for sweets, namkeens, packaged food products, chat.
- McDonalds on College Road, located just opposite Big Bazaar serves good burgers and draws a lot of crowd in the evenings.
- Hotel Shrikrishna on College Road, plus they have a Parantha-special restaurant.
- Modern Cafe (formerly named as Parth) has good Maharashtrian fare.
- Salim's Tea at the corner of BYK Commerce College is a favorite hang-out of college students.
- Talk of the Town is a good place where you can get yummy Punjabi food.
- Maharashtra Bhaandaar on College Road is your typical "Khau Ghar" offering all kinds of delicious, home-made snacks and sweetmeats, like Laddus, Chivda, Karanji, Shev, Chakli, Farsaan, pickles, sweets and what have you. Lovingly called "Ma. Bhaa" it offers everything you would find traditionally prepared in Maharashtrian kitchens.
- Thunder Point on College Road serves refreshing, delicious juices.
- Kondaaji Chivda is very famous from Nashik.
- Sweets: Shrikhand and Jalebi - Budha Halwai (Near Badrakali Temple). They also have recently opened a shop in Indira Nagar. The Jalebi is awsome! Fresh Malai barfi at Sagar Sweets is just irresistable
- Jalaram Sweets , College Road . Serves amazing chaats along with a range of sweets. One should not miss their Kachori and Khajur/Imli Chutney.
- Goli Vada pav outlet at Sharanpur Road, College Road and Indira Nagar(OPP. RajSarthi Soc.)
- Subway @ college road
- Dominos at college road and nashik road
- Smokin Joes near RYK college , Bytco Ponit
- Shoukin bhel at Nehru garden . yummy tasty bhel!
- Vijus Dabeli and sandwhich
- Brothers roll near akashwani tower.
Garden misal @ shalimar the best!
- Rim-zim Ice Gola near Nehru Garden
- Little Italy, Sula Vineyards. Authentic Italian Food at rates less than their other branches across the country served at Little Italy ad mist the beautiful landscape of Sula Vineyards.
- Cafe Express @ College Road
- Carnival at College Road serves very good quality Chinese & Indian Food.
- Sayantara in Bhadrakali area, behind the fruit market. Famous for soft, tasty sabudanavada.
- Agrawal Bros K Mithaiwala, 63, Shalimar, Next to IMA (Shalimar Chowk). 8AM to 10PM. Hot snacks, Sweets, Cold Drinks, Icecream. Checkout Our Special Samosa
- Tulsa Snacks, Ravivar karanja chowk. Delicious Maharashtriyan snacks pohe, upama and sabudana khichadi.
- Oriental Xpress, Shop no.4, Kanchwala Avenue, Opp BYK college, Nasik (College Road), ☎ 9960790272. 12. The Only Authentic Restaurant serving MOMOS, Chinese and Thai food.One of the regular hangouts of foreigners and young couples. There are branches of this restaurant in Nasik Road also. 75.
Famous Misal Joints
- Shelke Misal, Ravivar Karanja, opp Chandi Ganpati Mandir.
- Ambica Misal, Panchavati.
- Raswanti Misal, Panchawati Karanja
- Hotel Bhagwati, Panchawati Karanja
- Hotel Sheetal, Old taxi Stand, CBS
- Hotel Shamsunder, B Rd, Satpur MIDC
- Maharashtra Hotel, Bytco Point, Nashik Rd.
- Hotel Tuljai, Opp college, College Rd.
- Hotel Tushar, Malaria Stop, College Rd.
- Hotel Sudarshan, Makhamalabad, Nashik.
Ice Cream Parlours
- Cream Zone , Colg Rd , Nashik
- Razzmatazz , Colg Rd , Nashik
- Eskimozs Pot Ice Cream' , canada corner, Nashik
- Dinshaw's , Colg Rd , Nashik
- Pastongi , MG Rd , Nashik
- Dairy Don , Colg Rd & MG Rd , Nashik
- Sula Wines , Wineyards near Gangapur
- Banjara , Mahatma Nagar (Resto Bar)
- 21st century , Near Kulkarni Garden (Pub)
- Tiger hills, Wine tasting & factory outlet, Nashik-Mumbai highway
- Samarth juice centre @ Ravivar Karnja
- York Wine, Gangapur Road, ☎ +91 253-2230700. York Winery A New Emerging Winery
(Check out the room before you book)
- Nasik HomeStay ... Near Taj Residency, 
- Ginger Hotel Trimbak Rd , Nashik ,+91 9270417881, 0253-6616333
- Hotel President Inn Nashik, tel: 0253 - 2360174
- Hotel Panchavati 430, Vakilwadi, Nashik-422001 +91 0253 257 5771(fax: +91 253 257 1823)
- Wasan's Inn Old Agra Road, Nashik-422002 +91 253 257 7881fax: +91 253 257 8711 
- Hotel Panchavati Yatri 430, Vakilwadi (Chandakwadi), Nashik-422002 +91 253 257 2290, +91 253 257 2291,+91 253 257 2292(fax: +91 253 257 2293)
- Sai Ratna Lodging Boarding Siddhi Tower, Paleja Petrol Pump, Malegaon, Panchavati Karanja, Nashik-422003 +91 253 251 8805, +91 253 951 9005
- Hotel Royale Heritage GPO Road, Nashik 422001. tel: +91253 2504080'(+9198220 40200) , 
- Hotel De Rajnigandha Dream Square 'A', Near Muktidham, Nashik Road, NASHIK 422 101. Ph: (91)253-2458676/96, 9011037045 
- Hotel Rajmahal Old CBS, Sharanpur Road, Nashik-422 002. Phone: 91- 0253- 2580501, 2319770. For room booking /enquiry- 09657183959, 09404788895,9422539440, 09823062223 
- Quality Inn Regency , Kshatriya Estate, Shivaji Nagar, Nasik-Poona Rd, Nasik-422006 +91 253 241 2441(fax: +91 253 2412 443  US$ 42-50
- Rama Heritage Hotel , Old Mumbai - Agra Rd ,near to mumbai naka , next to kalika mandir nashik-422002 +91 253 258 2888(fax: +91 253 258 2887  US$ 15-20
- Panchavati Elite Inn Pvt.Ltd , Near Vindo Auto, Trimbak Rd, Nashik-422002 +91 253 257 9031 +91 253 257 9032 (fax: +91 253 257 9214 )
- White LilyNow managed by Sarovar group of hotels
On Mumbai - Agra Highway,Cleanest with polite staff opp CIDCO Tel+912532378383 email email@example.com
- Chetna Dining Hall , Old C.B.S. Meghdoot Shopping Center, Nashik.
- Taj Residency P-17, MIDC Ambad, Mumbai-Agra Rd, Nashik-422210 +91 253 238 4499(fax: +91 253 238 2638)
- The Jupiter Hotel ( West End )- Mumbai Hghwy, Cidco, Nasik
- Gateway Inn - Ambad , Nashik
- Hotel Kaveri On Nasik, Pune Rd, Nashik-422001 +91 253 259 7799(fax: 0253-2597799
- Hotel Saffron Plant No.291, Beside Wadala Naka, Renuka Nagar Corner, Nashik-422001 +91 253 259 4004(fax: +91 253 250 4944)
- Seble Hotel Deluxe Pvt Ltd Boys Town Road, Off. Trimbak Road, Nashik-422002 +91 2532575711 , +91 253 257 5714, +91 253 231 2424 (fax: +91 253 2315327, ')
- Hotel Shilpa 430/Ratan Bhuwan, M.G.Rd, Nashik-422001 +91 253 258 0271 (fax +91 253 257 3763, 
- Hotel Vaishali 480, Gole Colony, Nashik-422002, Maharashtra +91 253 257 3310(fax: +91 253 257 55909)
- Hotel Dwarka Dwarka Circle, Mumbai Agra Road, Nashik-422002 +91 253 - 2594241 / 42 (Fax: 0253 - 2593028 ) 
- Hotel Gadre's Dwarka Circle, Mumbai Agra Road, Nashik-422002 +91 253 - 2594241 / 42 (Fax: 0253 - 2593028 )
- Triambakeshwar - one of the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva, 30 km from Nashik via Trimbak road.
- Shirdi - Famous the world over for Sai Baba, but you have to have patience, as the queues can be infintely long. About 90 km from Nashik. Frequent volvo and ST buses are available.
- Wani - Saptashringi Godess - located 75 km from Nasik
- Igatpuri - On Nashik - Mumbai Highway. Located about 30 km from Nasik. Scenic beauty! There are multiple resorts available for a weekend get-away!
- Anjaneri - the birth place of Lord Hanumana. located on Trimbak road, 25 km from Nasik
- Bhagur - Small village, important as the birthplace of Veer Savarkar, one of the famous freedom fighters, about 12 km from Nasik road.
- Sinnar - About 30 km from nashik on the Nashik-Pune highway (NH 50). The Yadava period (11 A.D.) Gondeshwar Shiva temple has interesting architecture and stone carvings.
- Sangamner - About 65 km from Nashik, along the Nashik-Pune highway. Has an engineering college, a medical college, well developed market, historical places to see.
- Yeola: 65 km from Nashik, between Nashik and Aurangabad. Famous for Paithni sarees (tradittional saree), Yeola is a major handloom weaving center and the silk sarees, shalus and paithanis woven here find a prominent place in Indian and foreign market. It is also famous for gold and silver wire. Places of interest include the Muralidhar Temple and the Parshvanath Temple.