Nainital, Uttarakhand, India  is one of the most popular hill stations of India. It is famous for its lake, after which it is named. The town has a population of 38,560 (2001 est.)
View of Nanda Devi Massif and Nanda Devi East
Set amidst the towering peaks of the Kumaon Hills, the lake resort of Nainital has a lot to offer. From boating to feeding animals at the zoo; from picnicking on the hills to exploring Jim Corbett's home, Nainital has all that you could hope for in a hill station.
Nainital is set in two parts, Tallital and Mallital, with the lake separating them. Tallital is the southern side of the lake, while Mallital consists of the northern upper reaches. The town was destroyed during the Landslip of 1880, and later rebuilt by the British. It is renowned for its lake, bird's-eye views, and prestigous educational institutions.
Nainital , also known as Lake District of Uttarakhand, is named after the goddess Naina Devi. It is located around Naini Lake in Uttarakhand. If you are planning to feel tourism of Nainital , the best time to visit there in between May to July, the summer time in India.
The weather in Nainital is quite pleasant. Summers are mildly warm and temperatures may reach 22 C. During winter, temperatures may be sub-zero. The town receives snowfall during December and January.
The nearest railway station is Kathgodam, 35 km away. Taxis charge Rs 250-300 to Nainital. . Most hotels will arrange for a pick up on prior request, Rs 600-900.
Here are some useful trains to get to Nainital:
Also see Rail travel in India
- There are daily bus services from Delhi. The buses leave from ISBT Anand Vihar delhi
and are run by Uttarakhand Roadways.
- Driving to Nainital takes 7 to 8 hours. From Delhi, it's highway driving throughout. NH 24 connects Delhi to Rampur via Hapur. At Rampur, turn and head north on NH 87 all the way up to Nainital. En-route halts include the Wonderland, Rwy crossing, Moradabad and The Cottage, Jeliokot.
Contrary to popular belief, flying into Nainital is the fastest way to reach the hill station. Nainital is served by PantNagar Airport, located about 2 hours away.
It is served only by Jagson airlines. It is one of the least busy airports in the country, handling only 6 scheduled flights a week.
- JA 101 - Dep. Delhi 1315 Arr. PantNagar 1415 (Mon, Wed, Fri)
- JA 102 - Dep. Delhi 1445 Arr. PantNagar 1545 (Mon, Wed, Fri)
- FARE - Rs 2250/$ 90 for adults, Rs 1400/$ 55 for children.
Taxi fare is around Rs 1100-1200.
- There are a few cycle rickshaws in town. Rates are fixed at 10 rupees from one end of the mall to the other.
- However, there is no better way to explore Nainital than on foot. The mall has smooth pavements, making it extremely pedestrian-friendly. During the summer season, all traffic is denied entry on the mall from 6 to 9PM, making the road a pedestrian's dream. The town is not very large and there are some very interesting shops and emporiams on the mall, making the walk a pleasure.
- Snow View, Sher-Ka-Danda Ridge. Located at an altitude of 2270 m, Snow View offers spectacular views of the Naina Devi Peak. It can be reached by the Aerial Express Ropeway. Round trip:Rs 100. One-way: Rs 50. There is a place called Mountain Magic, which offers Bumping cars, Go karting facilities.
- Nanda Devi Temple, Naini Lake. The temple was destroyed during the Landslip of 1880, and was later rebuilt. It is on the lake's northern shore.
- St. John in the Wilderness, Mallital. This charming church was named and founded by the Bishop of Calcutta.
- Tiffin Top, Aryapatta Hill. Altitude: 2292 m. To get here you can drive up to Sherwood College and then continue on a short scenic walk.
- Gurney House, Aryapatta Hill. This was the former home of Jim Corbett. It has been converted into a museum and houses Corbett memorabilia.
- Guano Hills, Pangot. These hills in the Pangot village are excellent for walks through forests of thick oak, bamboo and deodar. Some rare birds such as the grey woodpecker and black-chinned babbler are found in the forests.
- Naina Devi Temple, This temple was constructed in the 15th Century during the Kushan reign but on other hand, an another version states that it was built by Moti Ram Shah .
- Naina Lake, Naini Lake is set amidst seven mountains that surround this stagnant water pool and high peaks that almost touch the sky. .
- Sariyatal, Sariyatal is a stream on Kaladhungi Road. The water in the stream is extremely cold but is a nice place to spend some time.
- Boating in Naini Lake is a must. Paddle boats can be hired by the hour. You can also hire a yacht from the Nainital Boat Club, which costs Rs 160 per hour and comes with a boatman.
- Shopping - There are two main shopping areas, The Mall and Barra Bazaar. Traditional buys have included shawls, scarves, cardigans and local jams. You can also buy wodden handicrafts which are good and cheap option for souvenirs.
- Feed the animals at the Nainital Zoo(Gobind Ballabh Pant Altitude Zoo), where you will find some high-altitude species that are native to the region. . Zoo Entry Fee: Rs 25 and Rs.10 for children 25 rupees extra for a camera, closed on Mondays. The zoo also has an interesting sponsorship programme where you can sponsor the maintenance and food of the animal of your choice. The zoo is spread over a wide area and requires lot of walking, so visit only if you are comfortable with that.
- Explore the caves: 2 Kms further up from Mallital (northern end of the lake) is a cave complex(6 caves i.e.Tiger,Panther,Porcupine,Bats,Flying Fox and apes). This consists of a series of caves which get narrower as you progress. People who are claustrophobic should not explore the later ones and there is a facility to get out after every cave. Ensure to wear clothes which would enable you to crawl etc.
- Trek to Naina/China Peak, the highest point in the region(8622ft). You can get scenic views of the whole region. Hiking there takes around 60 mins and is not so strenuous. Also you can see a panoramic view of snow capped himalayas further north (in sep, oct and nov only). On the top of the mountain you can find a small tea shop serving bread omelet, some biscuits, tea and coffee for a reasonable price. Not many people go there and so its a good option to escape from this busy, greedy world
View from top of Naina Peak
- Trek to Tiffin's Top. Its a slightly touristy place and you can feel the rush there. You can get on a horse also to go to the top(Rs. 300-1000). The Horse ride is an extremely nice experience, but ensure that ladies travel in front of the male member, since the horsewallas usually have the male member in the front and female member in the back and once you are on top of the horse, you cannot see how the horse man is treated the woman.
But its not so tough to hike there. On the top of this hill, one can find all kinds of shops, flocking with people
- Neem Karoli Baba Ashram & Temple, Kainchi (Kainchidham), Kainchi (18 Km from Nainital on the road going to Almora), . Neem Karoli Baba Ashram & Temple is a Hindu religious centre, and temple, dedicated to Shri Neem Karoli Baba, a Hindu saint and Guru in the Indian tradition. Many of his devotees visit this temple from all over the world.
- Ram Lal & Bros, Bara Bazar, Mallital. Perhaps,the finest and most exclusive and tasteful store for shawls, tweeds and other woolens. The owner is a fine gentleman with great taste. He is fourth generation with the store being more then 100 years old.
- Nainital, being close to Delhi, becomes the natural holiday destination for a lot of the capital's folks in the sweltering summer months. The eateries in Nainital reflect that with Punjabi staples being standard fare - most of the better eateries are in the Mall.
- Woods, Alka Hotel, The Mall. Tel:235220.
- Sher-e-Punjab, The Mall. Punjabi cuisine.
- Embassy, The Mall.
- Machan, The Mall. Tel: 37672
- Laxmi, The Mall. Tel: 37476
- Shiva, Barra Bazaar. Famous for sweets and veggie fare.
- Aab-O-Dana, Arif Castles, Mallital.
- Kumaon, Manu Maharani, Grasmere Estate, Mallital. Tel: 37341/8
- Alcohol is served in the top-end hotels. There are no good bars outside the hotels, even in the Mall.
- Tea is served in the dhabas of The Mall. Try the local Herbal Chai.
- Verandah, Arif Castles, Mallital.  This 24-hr cafe serves excellent coffee and pastries.
There are plenty of hotels in Nainital. Visitors are spoiled for choice in the top end category. Mountain Quail and Jungle Lore offer tents.
- Sarovar TRH, Tallital. Tel: 35570.
- Mountain Quail, Buldakote, Pangot. Tel: 9837177537, 9837068400.
- Hotel Krishna, The Mall.
- Hotel New Bharat,Zoo road,The mall,Reservation 0091-9411107549, .
- Ashok HotelRs.800 -Single Room, Rs.230-280 - Double Room, Tallital. Tel: 0091-5942-235721, 0091-9412906833
- Savoy HotelRs.150
- Hotel City Heart, near the Nainital Mountaineering Club of Nainital,
- Grand Hotel,The Mall. Tel: 235406,235008
- Alka Hotel, The Mall. Tel: 235220,236216
- Palace Belvedere, Awagarh Estate.
- Jungle Lore Birding Lodge, Pangot.
- Vikram Vintage Inn, Mallital. Tel: 36177/9
- Channi Raja, The Mall. Tel: 232859
- Fair light trails resort, A Heritage Bungalow located atop Nainital.
- Classic The Mall, Mall Road. 
- Abbotsford- Prasada Bhawan, Mallital. Tel: +91-9811040335, .
- Arif Castles, Mallital. Tel: 35801/3.
- The Naini Retreat, Aryapatta Slopes. Tel: 05942 235105, 011 4652 0000
- Manu Maharani, Grasmere Estate, Mallital. Tel: 37341/8.
- Woodside Retreat, Pangot. Tel: 4524878/4.
There are also a number of private villas offering accommodation in and around Nainital.
- The Hermitage, Kailash, Chunkuwa, ☎ 00 91 124 4074947, .
- Cyberia, Mallital. The fastest connections in town.
- Flattis, The Mall. This is Nainital's most popular cyber cafe and houses a small restaurant as well.
perfact place for inter net .you can book you flight as well as trainticket frin this cafe .
cyber zone near bank of baroda mallital nainital
- STD/ISD booths are scattered throughout the city. The fare is calculated using a digital meter.
- MTNL phonecards are not used.
- Cell-phone coverage is fairly good. BSNL,Airtel vodafone; and idea! Cellular are the main operators.
- The STD code for the Nainital region is 05942. If you are calling from a cell-phone or another town in the country, dial 05942-xxxxxx(x)
- For international calls to Nainital, the calling code is +91-5942-xxxxxx(x)
- KMVN, Oak Park House, Mallital. Tel: 36356.
- Tourist Office, The Mall. Tel: 35337.
Banks and Post Office
- SBI, Mallital. Tel: 235645, 235087.
- SBI, Tallital. Tel: 235579.
- Punjab National Bank, Barra Bazaar. Tel: 235714.
- National Bank Ltd, Tallital. Tel: 235414.
- Kurmanchal Bank, Tallital. Tel: 235440, 236037.
- Kurmanchal Bank, Barra Bazaar. Tel: 235427.
- Post Office, Tallital. Tel: 235704.
- G.B. Pant Hospital, Ramsay Hospital Road, Tallital. Tel: 235388.
- Vaccine Research Institute, Patwadangar. Tel: 241129.
- Veterinary Hospital, Haldwani. Tel: 221014, 235636.
- Tiwari Forest Hospital, Haldwani. Tel: 234423/30.
- Sitapur Eye Hospital, Haldwani. Tel: 220209.
Nainital has a few good universities which offer short courses. Rock-climbing courses are a another option.
- 5 Day Youth Camp at Van Niwas, Bara Patthar. Apr-Jun, May-Sep. The camp activities include a basic rock-climbing course, Yoga and meditaion in the mornings, trekking around Nainital, star-gazing and various cultural programs. The camp is educational, interesting and reasonably priced. However, the food is vegetarian and no alcohol is allowed. Rs 2200, only Rs 400 is non-refundable. To apply, contact The Convenor - Camps, Sri Aurobindo Ashram - Delhi Branch, Sri Aurobindo Marg, New Delhi - 110016. For more information regarding the accommodation and activities, call 235737, the Van Niwas phone number in Nainital. If you pay by cheque, it should be payable to Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Delhi Branch Trust.
- Vipassana Meditation Course by Dr. Ravindra Deo. Aug 4-20. The courses are held in both Hindi and English. There is no fixed centre, venues change every day, and the lessons are usually out in the open. The course focuses on relaxing the mind, body and soul through introspection and interaction with the outside environment. Contact Dr. Ravindra Reo at B.D. Pande Hospital, Tel: 2012/22.
- Kumaon University is headquartered in Nainital, with a smaller branch in Almora. It offers numerous temporary courses. 
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!