My Tho, is the capital of the Tien Giang province in Southern Vietnam. It is the first city in the Mekong Delta travellers from Ho Chi Minh City will arrive and hence a popular spot for dropping tourists on one of the many Mekong boat tours. For its closeness to Ho Chi Minh City everything is more expensive here than further inside the delta such as Vinh Long and Can Tho.
There are lots of buses daily from Mien Tay bus station in Ho Chi Minh City to My Tho. From here to the centre of town should cost 10,000 to 15,000 dong on a motorbike.
Be aware that when you ask for a ride to the city center from the bus station your motorbike taxi is likely to deliver you to Rang Dong II Hotel which is more than 2 km from the downtown area. It seems they have a business arrangement. To avoid this trap be up front with your motorbike driver about it.
- Everything is within walking distance of the city center except the bus station you'll be dropped at, which is about 4 km from the downtown.
- River Islands boat tour, Official rate is $25 per person. Touts on the waterfront will offer tours for less. Old man on bicycle has best deal $10 for two people.
- Take the ferry to Ben Tre leaving from the West of town and buy some banana candy once you have crossed the river.
- Opposite the government buildings, on the waterfront in front of what looks like a resturant cruise boat there is a variety of food stalls. They offer tasty meals at great prices.
- On the waterfront near the big statue are vendors selling a variety of food on skewers. 5000 dong each however locals pay much less and your being ripped off.
- Street vendors walk around with a large covered baskets containing steamed corn a tasty bargain at 3500 dong each.
- Song Tien - friendly staff and decent rooms. Air-con room including WIFI 300,000 dong.
- Minh Quan - Midrange hotel, clean, aircon, wifi, quiet, cable tv, VILF on reception. 550,000 dong.
- Minh Tai - Clean, freshly renovated,Fan/Air con 150,000/210,000 dong. Top floor is very breezy so air-con is not required.
- Rang Dong - Two locations, stayed at location further from town. Old dingy rooms,dropped here by moto from bus station. Bargained down to 150,000 dong - normal rate 200,000-400,000 dong. Has WIFI but you won't get it in your room (not on top floor lobby either) unless you stay on the lower floors which cost more (and still won't get signal at the ends of the hall).