| || |
| || |
Revision as of 21:32, 9 September 2008
Haidhausen is a residential district just to the east of the Munich city center where the Kultfabrik and Ostbahnhof can be found.
The Kultfabrik claims to be the largest party zone in Europe as it has been developed into a maze of bars, clubs, skate parks, cinemas, games halls, climbing walls etc.
Haidhausen is also referred to as the "French Quarter", since most streets are named after French cities, and the streets and places are arranged in a pattern oftentimes found in France.
To get there, take any S-Bahn or the U5 and get off at the Ostbahnhof train station. If you want to go to Kultfabrik/Optimolwerke either follow the signs, or the stream of teenagers.
- Deutsches Museum - Museumsinsel 1, Phone: +49 (0)89 / 2179-1, Fax:+49 (0)89 / 2179-324,  Hours: Daily 9AM - 5PM (For closures and other information see ) - One of the biggest and best-known museums for science and technology in the world. Admission: Adults € 8.50, Students and children aged 6 - 15 € 3.
- Gasteig Kulturzentrum Rosenheimerstr 5, Haidhausen, tel 089/480-980. Situated on the right bank of the River Isar, visit this complex for music, theater, and film. It has an open-plan interior and a maze of courtyards and plazas. The center has two theaters, where plays in English are occasionally staged.
- Museum Villa Stuck Prinzregentenstr. 60, Haidhausen, Munich, tel 089/455-5510. This is the former home of one of Munich's leading turn-of-the-20th-century artists, Franz von Stuck (1863-1928). His work features along the walls of the villa and they stage special exhibits of his work.
- Gasteig (near Deutsches Museum) is the place to go for first rate classical concerts given by the renowned Munich Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Take in the beautiful scenery of the Städtischer Rosengarten, an oasis of greenery and tranquility in the middle of a busy city. The city's gardeners have created a delightful rose garden, with countless different varieties of roses. There is also a tree nursery and a garden of poisonous plants.
This is a nice little shopping district with small stores catering to everyday needs as well as cafés and restaurants ideal for a short break.
- Kaufhaus am Ostbahnhof, Haidhausen, Orleansplatz 3, ☎ 4 58 55 40. Large department store offering fashion, jewellery, books and household supplies.
- Parzival Hörbuchladen, Breisacher Str. 15 Haidhausen, ☎ 4 59 97 63,. Germany’s oldest and still Bavaria’s only audiobook store. You can choose from 5,000 audiobooks on CD and/or MC in German, English and several other languages.
- Tinissima, Pariser Str. 22 Haidhausen, ☎ 44 10 95 92. A jewellery lovers paradise featuring beautiful creations by local designer Christine Berger. Fun original rings, earrings, chains and bangles, all created from solid silver and tarnished 900 carat gold.
- Münchner Blech, Gebsattelstr. 11 Haidhausen, ☎ 55 05 68 80. Everything is music to your ears at this unique store that specializes in wood winds and brass instruments. There is also a professional in-house repair shop.
- Escobar, Breisacherstr. 19, D-81667 (Haidhausen), ☎ (089) 4483069/485137. Mexican fare served in a fun and modern way. Inside the restaurant, you'll find plently of exposd brick work and stainless steel, and even a striking sculpture of a vulture made out of scrap metal. A relaxed and comfortable atmosphere made possible by friendly staff.
- Juleps New York Bar and Grill, Breisacher Strasse 18, ☎ 089 4480044. Popular Tex Mex restaurant that has had mixed reviews on its fare, although recent customers have suggested that it has improved.
- Haidhausener Augustiner, Wörthstrasse 34 Haidhausen (U-Bahn U4/5 Ostbanhof, than max. 3 min. walking), ☎ 089 4802594. Great place to indulge in some pub culture, with basic but quality food, wide variety of drinks and a great meeting place to catch up with friends.
- Cafe Voila, Wörthstr. 5, 81667 (U-Bahn: Ostbahnhof or Max-Weber Platz, than 5 min. walking), ☎ 089 4891654, . Local favourite that serves generous portions in a welcoming atmosphere. Standard fare that is cooked well.
- Nachtkantine, Grafinger Str. 6, Munich, 81671, ☎ +49 (089) 49002153. Apart from the odd kebab stand, this is the only restaurant in Kunstpark Ost. They serve American food, such as burgers, pizza and pasta at a good value for money. The restaurant is quite vibey, accentuated by the loud techno music played by various DJs. Great meeting spot.
- Jazzclub Unterfahrt, Einsteinstrasse 42 (Take the U-Bahn to Max-Weber-Platz walk east from the station), ☎ +49 (089) 4482794, . Sun - Thu 7:30PM - 1AM, Fri/Sat 7:30PM - 3AM. Concerts begin at 11PM. Jazz club that specializes in great jazz performances. Be aware that the club is only smoke free during the performances.
This place is a 60,000 square-metre entertainment mecca. After Europe's largest disco complex - located in the terminal buildings of the former Munich airport - had to close in 1996, the city had to find a replacement for the crowds of partygoers. It was called Kunstpark Ost (KPO) because of its location in a former industrial complex near the eastern railway station. Rumors about closing this area started soon and in 2003 it looked as if the days of the KPO were closing, so some of the clubs moved to an area 200m in the west called Optimolwerke. However most clubs in the original area (renamed to Kultfabrik) remained open.
Kultfabrik and Optimolwerke (and two more discos on the west end of the whole area) are one big complex and most people do not distinguish whether they go to Kultfabrik, Optimolwerke, Kunstpark Ost or the "KPO" (pronounced like the English letters). To have so many discos and clubs on a relatively small area is brilliant and efficient as there is something for (nearly) every taste. And if you don't get into one, there is always another club to try. The crowds don't arrive until midnight or later, but if you come earlier, you are more likely to get cheaper/free entry.
- Americanos City, Hochbrückenstr. 3 80331 München. Intimate space with a stylish decor, while the crowd can be quite young, but the drinks pack a punch at a cheap price.
- Babylon 2, Georg-Elser-Hallen, Rosenheimerstr. 143, Haidhausen. The biggest club in the Kultfabrik neighbourhood, with at least two seperate rooms playing varying types of music such as german techno, house and soul. Drinks are quite cheap, while the entry fee is 9 euro.
- Bongo Bar, ☎ 089- 49 00 12 60. This trendy bar lies in the heart of Kunstpark Ost. Dressed in red velvet and serving delicious Thai cuisine - including cocktails - it's a great night out.During the week there are cabaret acts and political/satirical singer-songwriters to be seen.
- Harry Klein (Optimolwerke), . A small club that hosts world-renowned electro and minimal techno DJ's, also well known for the interesting visuals. Main acts usually only come on at 3AM, even on weekdays. The club is sometimes called Marry Klein in winter. Entry price ranges from 5-10 euros.
- K41, Friedenstraße 10, Phone: +49 (0)89/ 6389-2929, email: firstname.lastname@example.org . This is one of the latest attractions in Kunstpark Ost for Munich's party people, who dance the night away to the sounds of mainstream house music. There is a great range of cocktails that match the party atmosphere in this club.
- Keller, Friedenstraße 10 . Smaller club playing indie, emo, rock and alternative on Fridays, Britpop and German pop on saturday. Age 18-25.
- Rafael. Grafingerstr. 6, Phone: +49 (0)89/ 550 523 80, Email: email@example.com,  - Nice Club, not dark and dirty like many other clubs in KPO. Nice staff serving you great and reasonably prices cocktails all night long.
- Living 4 Grafingerstr. 6, Phone: +49 (0)89/ 4900-1260, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, . Plays popular R'n'B and hip hop to a stylish crowd.
- Freudenhaus Kultfabrik, Grafingerstr. 6, Haidhausen. Contains three different dance halls playing Pop/Hip Hop, German music (depending on the weekday) and techno. Popular with a young crowd. On Fridays, girls get into "Freudenhaus" for free before twelve.
- Motel One Munich City-East, Orleansstraße 87 - 81667 Munich. For a two star hotel, this impresses with a modern and sleek interior, with simply decorated rooms. Downstairs at the "One Lounge", all your needs are met with a lobby, breakfast café and bar in one. Free wi fi access is available here as well.
- Golden Leaf Hotel Altmünchen, Munich, Mariahilfplatz 4 (From Stuttgart highway: To highway's end, exit on München West, direction Innenstadt (Center), Altstadtring direction München Ost, Rosenheimer Straße to Rosenheimer Platz, right in Franziskanerstrasse, right in Gebsattelstraße; after about 200 meters, on the right, you will see the Hotel Altmünchen), ☎ 89-458440. Central yet quiet location, just few minutes from the Marienplatz, the heart of the city. Furnished in an Old-Bavarian style, it creates a warm and inviting atmosphere in each of its 32 rooms. All rooms have wi fi access and cable TV, and pets are allowed in this hotel. 78 euro for a double room.
- Hotel Prinz, Hochstraße 45 - 81541 Munich, ☎ 49 89 441408 0. Close to the Deutsches Museum and to the Gasteig cultural center, the Hotel Prinz has an ideal location. All rooms are equipped with cable tv, wi fi access and 24 hour room service. Business travellers can continue to work at the two conferences rooms located onsite. Double room from 128 euro.
- Hotel Novotel München City - Munich, Hochstraße 3 - 81669 Munich, ☎ 89-638-0011. Newly opened in 2004, this 4 star hotel features 307 air-conditioned rooms, a modern restaurant and bar with terrace, free spa area with gym, swimming pool, sauna and steam bath, underground parking and a separate conference centre with terrace and 5 modern meeting rooms. Enjoy a generous breakfast buffet at "Le grand bonjour". Treat yourself to light Mediterranean cuisine in our hotel Restaurant “Le Jardin” or soak up the summer months on our garden terrace. Buffet breakfast is not included and costs 17 euro per person.