| || |
*Ride on the narrow
guage '''Isle of Mull Railway''' [http://www.mullrail.co.uk] This runs from Craignure to Torosay (March - October). Single £3.50. |+|
*Ride on the narrow '''Isle of Mull Railway''' [http://www.mullrail.co.uk] This runs from Craignure to Torosay (March - October). Single £3.50.
| || |
*See the Mull Little Theatre
*See the Mull Little Theatre
| || |
Revision as of 16:01, 18 March 2009
Mull  is an island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland. It is in the Argyll and Bute Council Area.
Mull is the fourth largest Scottish island, with an area of 338 square miles and a resident population around 2000. Mull is a popular destination for tourists, and also many people from Central Scotland have holiday homes here.
it can hardly be called too congested!
There are many small villages on the roads going around the coast of the island, the more notable of which are:
- Tourist Office near the pier at Craignure.
Unless you have your own boat or plane, the only way in is on one of the Calmac ferries:
Calmac  run 3 ferries connecting Mull with the mainland, and one to Iona.
- Oban to Craignure (daily 5-8 times per day, takes 45 minutes). Probably the most convenient for those without a car, as Oban has good bus and rail links.
- Lochaline to Fishnish Sometimes hourly, taking 15 minutes.
- Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan to Tobermory. Three per day, taking 35 minutes. Given how remote Ardnamurchan is, this is more a way of getting there, than a way of getting to Mull.
- Iona to Fionnphort about 9 per day, taking 10 minutes. Beware of getting wet feet boarding the ferry.
Local buses are operated by Bowmans , who also run tours. Buses to Tobermory and also to Iona connect with many of he ferries at Craignure. There are no Sunday services in winter.
The Isle Of Mull Railway runs just over a mile from Craignure to Torosay, and is a tourist attraction, not a useful part of the transport system.
- Tobermory. If you have a small child with you, then you will probably not be able to avoid Tobermory, or Balamory as they will call it after the TV series. The town is picturesque, with painted buildings along the waterfront, and an interesting assortment of small shops, cafes and pubs.
- Macquarie Mausoleum, Gruline, Isle of Mull, Argyll & Bute. Off B8035.  Your chance to visit a site belonging to the National Trust of Australia (New South Wales) without going Down Under.
- Ride on the narrow gauge Isle of Mull Railway  This runs from Craignure to Torosay (March - October). Single £3.50.
- See the Mull Little Theatre
- Mull Cheddar  is an artisan cheese made near Tobermory, with a great strong distinctive flavour.
- The Glenforsa Hotel, Salen By Aros PA72 6JW (Turn right off the ferry and head toward Salen, you'll see a sign directing you to the hotel), ☎ +44 (0)1680 300377, . This small family run hotel captures the spirit of Mull and is a perfect rural holiday retreat. The mountain and sea blend together to give fantastic, panoramic views from the hotel which is in an elevated position on the shoreline. Panoramic views are also available from the bar and restaurant which serves local produce 7 days a week.
- Tobermory Youth Hostel, Main Street, Tobermory, Isle of Mull, PA75 6NU Tel: 0870 004 1151  SYHA Hostel on the seafront, with great facilites, awarded 4 stars by the Tourist Board.
Bed and Breakfasts
- Western Isles Hotel , Tobermory PA75 6PR (01688) 302012. Classic highland hotel (built in 1883) on the hill above Tobermory. Rooms from £49 to £169.
- The Mishnish Hotel , Main St, Tobermory, Isle of Mull. Telephone 01688 302009 Hotel on the seafront, near the pier. B&B from £30. Bar is popular with locals and visiting yachtsmen.
- Isle of Mull Hotel  Craignure, PA65 6BB, ☎ 0870 950 6267 (email@example.com). The hotel overlooks Craignure Bay and is about 1/2 mile from the ferry terminal.
- The Glenforsa Hotel, Craignure PA72 6JW, ☎ +44 (0)1680 300 377, . Sample a selection of Scotland's best malts whilst marvelling at the breathtaking views from the bar at The Glenforsa Hotel.
- Tobermory Whisky, Ledaig, Tobermory, Isle of Mull, SCOTLAND PA75 6NR, ☎ +44 (0)1688 302645, . Drink, or go on a tour of the distillery.
- Iona is an obvious day trip.
Wikipedia:Isle of Mull