Muck is the smallest and southernmost of the Small Isles off the west coast of Scotland.
You can get to Muck by either the CalMac ferry from Mallaig (Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the winter; Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and twice on Saturday in the summer) or the seasonal Arisaig Marine service from Arisaig. During the summer, the Saturday sailings connect with trains to and from Fort William and Glasgow.
Vehicles are not permitted on the island. Muck is about 4km from east to west, and is most easily explored on foot.
The Craft Shop, Tea Room and Restaurant is Muck's only commercial outlet, and is open every day during July and August from 11am onwards, and most days for the other summer months. The Craft Shop is situated in the main settlement of Port Mor and during the summer months is the centre of activity for both locals and visitors alike. The shop offers a large selection of original crafts, many produced on the island, including rugs made from Isle of Muck wool, homemade baskets, hand knitted garments and handspun island wool, a selection of craft books, and cards of all shapes and sizes capturing the beauty of the local scenery.
Details of all accommodation on the island can be found on the island's website isleofmuck.com
- The Bunkhouse is the cheapest accommodation the island, with three modest bedrooms sharing a small kitchen and living room in Port Mor. Can by rented by the bed or in its entirety for groups. Tel: +44 (0)1687 462042.
- Port Mor House Hotel offers the island's most luxurious accommodation with full board that includes sumptuous three course dinner. Packed lunches also available. The house is located in Port Mor, on the opposite side of the small harbour to the Calmac jetty. Tel: +44 (0)1687 462365 or visit isleofmuck.com.
- Godag House Bed & Breadkast is a comfortable family home, about half way Port Mor and Gallanach, with views of Rum, Canna and the Outer Hebredes. Dinner (using garden vegetables when available) is available. Tel. +44 (0)1687 462371.
- Carn Dearg Bed & Breakfast is in the heart of Port Mor, a few minutes walk from the pier and perfectly located for the craft shop / restaurant. The two bedrooms (one double, one twin) have an excellent view of the bay. Evening meals using local produce and home grown vegetables are available. Tel: +44 (0)1687 462363
- Three cottages are available for rental by the week (Saturday to Saturday) throughout the year. For further information tel: +44 (0)1687 462362 or visit isleofmuck.com. The cottages are:
- New House, on the north side of the island overlooking the beach and bay at Gallanach, with views towards Rum, Canna, Skye and Eigg. Sleeps up to 10.
- Gallanach Cottage, effectively the 'last house' on the island, at the very end of the road from Port Mor to Gallanach, overlooking Gallanach Bay with views towards Eigg and Skye. Sleeps up to 7.
- Seileachean, a cosy and sheltered house with an open plan kithen/living room and bedroom that sleeps 2 comfortably and families up to 5. Five minutes walk from the beach at Gallanach.