Mount Hood is located in the Pacific Northwest in the state of Oregon.
Timberline Lodge is the infamous lodge used in the 1980 Stephen King horror classic, The Shining, directed by Stanley Kubrick and starring Jack Nicholson.
Mt. Hood Jazz Festival
Every summer the greater Portland area hosts the Mt. Hood Jazz Festival, a series of concerts and events around Portland and Gresham. In August of 2006 the Mt. Hood Jazz Festival will be celebrating its 25th Anniversary. The schedule is not yet available and tickets will go on sale in April of 2006.
There are many things to do on this mountain including downhill skiing and snowboarding, hiking, and cross country skiing.
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Mt. Hood is home to three seperate Skiing and Snowboarding Resorts: Mt. Hood Meadows, Timberline Lodge, and Ski Bowl, as well as the two lesser known Bunny Hill and Cooper Spur. Mt. Hood has the only ski area in North America that is open 12 months out of the year and Ski Bowl has the largest night skiing area in America. There are a number of different Ski and Snowboard camps offered on Mt. Hood. As the information is continually changing and being updated, it is best to contact each resort to find out the details.
- Meadows offers four high speed quad lifts (in addition to a number of two person lifts), including the Cascade Express, which climbs to an elevation of 7,300 feet. The lifts are open daily from 9AM-4PM, with night skiing from 3PM-9PM on Fridays and Saturdays, although night skiing is not available for all routes. For those with limited skiing and snowboarding abilities, Meadows also offers the "Groove Tube" tubing hill on certain days. The charge (which includes rental of the tube) is $5 and the event is open from 9AM-4PM. As a side note, Meadows also the hosts local High School Snowboard Club/Team competitions.
- Timberline also offers four express quad lift (in addition to number of triple and double lifts), including the Palmer Chairlift, which reaches an elevation of 8,540 feet. Timberline is able to offer skiing and snowboarding 12 months out of the year, boasting the longest season in North America. The lifts are open from 9AM-10PM daily.
- Skibowl offers 4 chair lifts, with a peak elevation of just over 5,000 feet. Boasting the largest night skiing area in America, Skibowl's lifts are open from 3PM-10PM on Monday and Tuesday, 1PM-10PM on Wednesday and Thursday, 9AM-11PM on Friday, 8AM-11PM on Saturday, and 8AM-10PM on Sunday. They also offer a Snow Tube and Adventure Park on Saturday and Sunday.
- Summer Activities: During the summer months Ski Bowl offers its infamous Alpine Slide, a 1/2 mile, grooved, sledding course down the face of Mt. Hood. Hiking, Biking, Horseback Riding, and Ice-Climbing are also popular summer activites on the mountain. Also check out Timberline Lodge's Magic Mile Sky Ride, a roundtrip chairlift ride to an elevation of 7,000 feet.
For a list of places to eat, visit the Mt. Hood Area Chamber of Commerce website.