Mount Gambier is located midway in South Australia between Adelaide and Melbourne. It is near the Victorian border.
- Visitors can get to Mount Gambier by car (450 kilometres from Melbourne and Adelaide). Bus services run from both cities.
You will need transportation to get around to see the sights. There is basic public transport and some sights can be seen within walking distance of the town centre. It may be easiest, however, to hire a rental car for a time if you wish to see some of the sights near the town.
- Blue Lake -- The Blue Lake is located in the crater of a volcanic crater and is the main source of water for the city. During the year the color of the lake changes from an ocean grey color to a bright iridescent blue. The Blue Lake is one of three crater lakes located on the southern edge of the city: the others are Valley Lake and Leg of Mutton Lake. There are picnic grounds around Valley Lake and Leg of Mutton Lake and some easy climbing trails around this area. Boating and water-skiing activities occur on Valley Lake.
- Mt Schank -- is an extinct volcano located about 15 minutes drive towards the sea from Mt Gambier. It is an easy climb and you can descend into the crater.
- Limestone Caves & Sinkholes -- This region is famous for the sinkholes found in many places. Extraordinary dives take place in some of these sinkholes but if you intend to do this, make sure you get a guide as some of the caves contain noxious fumes and have claimed lives. Umpherston Sinkhole is located in the town itself and contains a pleasant garden that is well tended.
- Wineries, Located a short 50 kilometers north of Mount Gambier is Penola and the Coonawarra wine region. This famous wine producing region is approximately 1 kilometer wide and 17 kilometres long and is home to some of the very best red wines available.
- Wine sampling is free and the cellar door staff are always friendly, well informed and passionate about the wines.
- Commercial Street is the shopping street of Mount Gambier. Despite the small size of the city, this street is quite long. It takes about 15-20 min to walk from one end to the other. Stores on this street change often and most are not open on Sundays. Best shops at Priceline, Chapman's Newsagency and Toy Stampede.
Centro Lakes Village hosts about 40 stores including a supermarket, K-Mart, the Reject Shop and Angus & Robertson. Has a large food court although there is little variety in the food for sale. The Lakes Village is open Sundays after 11am.
Variety Stores There are numerous variety stores in Mt Gambier. Go-Lo and Ned's located on Commerical street West, Cheap As Chips on Helen street, the Reject Shop can be found in the Lakes Village. A large Target can also be found on Sturt street (entrances from Compton street and Ferrers street).
Markets Saturday is the Rotary Market on Julibee Highway East next to Harvey Normans (it is part of the former Fletcher Jones site). Sthe Blue Lake Market is held Sundays on Commerical street West opposite Vansitart Park.
Resturants in Mount Gambier are reasonably cheap when compared to city prices.
Belgornio's An authetic Italian resturant with woodfired pizzas.
Charlie's Diner All you can eat resturant on Jubliee Highway West. It has two dinner sittings (5.30 and 7pm). A Charlie Chaplain themed resturant, very popular with the locals.
South Eastern The first pub on Commerical Street East. Has a beer garden and a drive thru bottle shop.
Golden Chopsticks The best Chinese resturant with good service.
Spud Train A train shaped vending van which serves baked potatoes. Look for the waving oversized potato/man on the weekends.
- Clarendon Lodge & Chalets  4 Self-contained Chalets set between 650 walnut trees, picturesque lawns and gardens and only 5 km to Mt Gambier's Blue Lake.
- Old Gaol, 25 Margaret Street, tel: (08) 8723 0032, (toll free:1 800 626 844, email: mailto:email@example.com), . This is an old jail that has been sectioned off into 27 rooms. $20-66.
- Jubilee Motor Inn AUD 55/room  180 Jubilee Highway East, Mount Gambier, South Australia, tel: 08 8725 7444, Fax Number: 08 8723 0355, Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org.