| || |
| || |
Revision as of 06:35, 21 October 2007
Mount Gambier is located midway in South Australia between Adelaide and Melbourne. It is near the Victorian border.
- Visitors can get to Mount Gambier by plane from either of these cities, by car from the nearest major cities of Adelaide and Melbourne, or by bus.
You will need transportation to get around to see the sights. There is basic public transport and some sights can be seen within walking distance of the town centre. It may be easiest, however, to hire a rental car for a time if you wish to see some of the sights near the town.
- Blue Lake -- The Blue Lake is located in the crater of a volcanic crater and is the main source of water for the city. During the year the color of the lake changes from an ocean grey color to a bright iridescent blue. The Blue Lake is one of three crater lakes located on the southern edge of the city: the others are Valley Lake and Leg of Mutton Lake. There are picnic grounds around Valley Lake and Leg of Mutton Lake and some easy climbing trails around this area. Boating and water-skiing activities occur on Valley Lake.
- Mt Schank -- is an extinct volcano located about 15 minutes drive towards the sea from Mt Gambier. It is an easy climb and you can descend into the crater.
- Limestone Caves & Sinkholes -- This region is famous for the sinkholes found in many places. Extraordinary dives take place in some of these sinkholes but if you intend to do this, make sure you get a guide as some of the caves contain noxious fumes and have claimed lives. Umpherston Sinkhole is located in the town itself and contains a pleasant garden that is well tended.
- Wineries, Located a short 50 kilometers north of Mount Gambier is Penola and the Coonawarra wine region. This famous wine producing region is approximately 1 kilometer wide and 17 kilometres long and is home to some of the very best red wines available.
- Wine sampling is free and the cellar door staff are always friendly, well informed and passionate about the wines.
*Commercial Street is the shopping street of Mount Gambier. Despite the small size of the city, this street is quite long and allow about 15-20 min to walk from one end to the other.
- Clarendon Lodge & Chalets  4 Self-contained Chalets set between 650 walnut trees, picturesque lawns and gardens and only 5 km to Mt Gambier's Blue Lake.
- Old Gaol, 25 Margaret Street, tel: (08) 8723 0032, (toll free:1 800 626 844, email: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org), . This is an old jail that has been sectioned off into 27 rooms. $20-66.
- Jubilee Motor Inn AUD 55/room  180 Jubilee Highway East, Mount Gambier, South Australia, tel: 08 8725 7444, Fax Number: 08 8723 0355, Email Address: email@example.com.