'''Mossel Bay''' is a
city in the [[Western Cape]] province of [[South Africa]]. |+|
'''Mossel Bay''' is a in the [[Western Cape ]] of [[South Africa]].
| || |
Revision as of 14:02, 14 June 2006
Mossel Bay is a small harbour town situated on the Garden Route in the Province of South Africa. A favourite coastal and holiday destination, it has over the years developed into a town of unhurried hospitality, complementing the natural beauty and rich cultural history of the Garden Route. It was here that the first modern Europeans have set foot on southern African shores – commemorated at the Da Gama Museum Complex in the town-centre. Washed by the warm waters of the Indian Ocean, Mossel Bay offers sandy beaches stretching into the horizon, whale watching in season (June – mid November), water sport and extreme adventures. The Bay of Attractions, as Mossel Bay is often referred to, is also a paradise for any shopper hunting for local art and craft or maritime objects, and a hub for good entertainment and exquisite dining on the Garden Route.
Mossel Bay is situated along the Garden Route, connected with the N2and therefore easily reached from Cape Town in the West and George in the East, as well as Oudtshoorn in the North.
You can easily walk around the city centre, but taking a car to some of the outside destinations or restaurants is favourable.
- The lighthouse and Diaz exhibit.
- Take a boat ride to the seal island near the harbour.
- Visit the market at Hartenbos beach.
- Buy some wine and go sit at the cliffs in the southern part of the town, enjoying the view of the ocean. We were lucky enough to see a whale there, which gave us a private performance.
- Boteliers Kop is a nearby game farm / resort that offers a classy buffet. It's located 6 km North of Klein Brak. Currently they have 2 rhinos on the farm.
- The beaches offer a variety of very good restaurants (mainly fresh fish).
- Bantry House is a very nice establishment, situated above the bay and harbour. All four-star rooms have seaview and from here you will see one of the best sunrises in the world. Breakfast is served and wide range of drinks is available all day. Walking to town and the beach, as well as many restaurants is easy and parking available. Prices start from R300pps.
- Boteliers Kop (see above)
- Santos Express is an old train parked right at the beach. You sleep ind sleeping cars (duh). Comfort is mediocre but its worth the experience and prices are affordable.
- Lots of camping sites near Hartenbos beach.
Mossel Bay relies on tourism and natural gas extraction and processing.