Morgan Hill  is is a city in the southern end of Silicon Valley in the South Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area region of California. It benefited from the technology revolution and has grown rapidly in the last decade of the 20th century. Originally incorporated in 1906, the small city grew around a Southern Pacific train depot near a ranch belonging to local citizen Hiram Morgan Hill. A prominent hill to the west is often mistakenly identified as "Morgan Hill"; it is actually known as El Toro and was supposedly named by author Bret Harte when he saw two bulls fighting on it.
Morgan Hill sits astride US 101, a major north-south highway that spans the Pacific coast from San Diego to Seattle. Commercial air service is via Mineta San Jose International Airport, approximately 20 miles to the north. Morgan Hill also is connected to San Jose and San Francisco by Caltrain service, but only during peak commute hours. Time Table
Santa Clara Valley bus service schedule.
- Henry Coe State Park  is the largest state park in northern California. It is open year-round for hikers, mountain bikers, backpackers, equestrians, car campers, picnickers, and photographers.
- Anderson Lake County Park , 19245 Malaguerra Ave. Park office: (408) 779-3634. It is great for hiking, running, biking, and skating on paved trails. The lake is open for boating and fishing. Jet-ski's and float tubes are permitted.
- Cinelux theaters - off of Tennant Street, between Monterey and 101
- Go shopping downtown or in the Cochrane area
- Aquatic center
- Play soccer at the newly renovated soccer complex
- Mini golfing.
- 'Guglielmo Winery, 1480 E Main Ave. ( across from Live Oak HS), (408) 779-2145, .
- Pedrizzetti Winery, 1645 San Pedro Winery, 408-779-7389, .
- Other wineries, Sycamore Creek and Kirigins, are located west of Morgan Hill on Sycamore Rd. and Uvas Rd.
- Aoi Japanese Restaurant, 35 East Main Avenue, (408) 776-7763 - Authentic Japanese food and the service is even true Japanese style.
- Betsy's Restaurant & Lounge, 650 Tennant Station, (408) 779-3721 - in the bowling alley. Great food and some of the best prime rib served on weekends.
- China Orchid, 16715 Monterey St, (408) 776-1714. Chinese food.
- China Star, 233 West Main Av, (408) 778-9898. Chinese food. good food and nice atmosphere.
- La Choza Taqueria, 17865 Monterey St #F, at the corner of Wright St. (408) 782-7873. Mexican food.
- The Capri, 18625 Monterey St, (408) 778-5642. Used to be a a hot spot in the 50's as a restaurant, place to dance, and a bar. The Capri was closed and has been the host to many different restaurants. Later it was turned into a Mexican restaurant called "El Capri". After El Capri closed a single taco cart going by the same name sat outside the vacant building until they moved to San Martin (just south of Morgan Hill on Monterey Rd.). Now the building that once was a hot spot in the 50's where people went to dance, drink and eat(such as my grandparents), it sits vacant. This historic landmark is certainly an eye catcher and is sad to see it not being used.
- El Toro Brewery, at the corner of Main and Monterey. Not Good beer and food. Moved in spring of 2007 from Hill St.
- Flying Dragon, 17340 Monterey St, (408) 779-6296. Chinese food.
- Giancarlo's, 16180 S Monterey Rd, (408) 776-2995. Italian.
- Golden China (Cheapest Chinese Lunch), 16925 Monterey St, (408) 778-1878. Chinese food. Also includes free eggroll.
- Golden Oak, 16695 Condit Rd, (408) 779-8085. Upscale American cuisine.
- Hiromi (Now called Aoi), 35 East Main Av, (408) 776-7763. Excellent Japanese food.
- Izakaya (try Aoi), 17415 Monterey St, (408) 778-0505. Japanese.
- Jesus Restaurant (the real McCoy, authentic & cheap), 95 East 3rd St, (408) 778-9446. Mexican food.
- Just Breakfast, 17415 Monterey St, (408) 779-7044. Between 1st and 2nd Street in downtown. Despite their title they serve other meals as well. American and Mexican food.
- Le Bistro, 207 W. Main Street, (408) 782-2505. California/continental cuisine, live music.last time I looked this had changed names.
- Marie Callender's, 18599 Sutter Blvd, (408) 778-7373. Restaurant & bakery, plus they just put in a nice lounge. don't let the address throw you this place is right on Cochrane Ave. All you can eat brunch on Sundays.
- Maurizio's, 25 E. First Street, (408)782-7550. Italian, seafood.
- Moon's Kitchen, 16985 Monterey St, (408) 778-3883. Asian.
- Mushrooms Grille & Bar, 65 W. Main Av, (408) 778-2557. Burgers, sandwiches, salads. (No longer in business as of 6/2007.
- Peking (now fancy but good), 92 E 2nd Street, (408) 779-0333. Chinese food.
- Pink Elephant Bakery #2, 16925 Monterey Street, (408) 778-9088. Sandwiches, salads, baked goods.
- Rosy's at the Beach (Overpriced, unremarkable), 17320 Monterey St, (408) 778-0551. Fish tacos, but no beach.
- Sinaloa Cafe (Replacement cafe from the old burned down one. Overpriced and lost a lot of its appeal from the old place. Popular bar.), 17535 Monterey Highway, (408)779-9740. Mexican food.
- Speros Courtyard (Greek Owner, Lots of food, good), 16375 Monterey St, (408) 779-4461.
- Sweet Retreat, 17020 Condit Rd, (408)778-4299. Ice cream - more and better than Baskin-Robbins. Wonderful frozen yogurt/fruit concoctions. Sadly appears to be closed as of July 2009; there's a gelato place just to the east, though.
- Taqueria El Grullense, 16760 Monterey St,, (408) 779-9063. Mexican food.
(Note: if you are looking for a place to eat, just go downtown around Main St. and Monterey Rd.)
- Mr. Falafel (Mr. Falafel of Morgan Hill), 17455 Monterey St (Downtown Morgan Hill), ☎ (408) 778-7777, . 11AM-10PM. Mediterranean and Vegetarian food prepared to order. Sharwma, Kefta Kabob, Hummus, Baba Ganoush and tabbouleh salads. edit
- Boxseat Sports Grill, 15650 Vineyard Boulevard Suite F, (408) 778-7102
- El Toro Brewing Co, 17370 Hill Rd, (408) 778-2739 Moved to Main and Monterey in 2007.
The Best Place in Morgan Hill is M&H Tavern Downtown Morgan Hill
- Comfort Inn - Morgan Hill, CA, 16225 Condit Rd, ☎ 1-800-208-5964, . edit
- Courtyard San Jose South/Morgan Hill, 18610 Madrone Parkway, +1 408 782-6034, Fax: +1 408 782-1064, .
- Extended Stay America, 605 Jarvis Drive, +1 408 779-9660, .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 17035 Condit Road, +1 408 776-7676, .
- Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill, 18620 Madrone Parkway, +1 408 782-8311, Fax: +1 408 782-8322, .
- San Jose/Morgan Hill Microtel Inn & Suites, 16245 Condit Rd., +1 408 782-5000, Fax: +1 408 782-6633, .
- Ramada Morgan Hill, 16115 Condit Road, . One of the best value hotels situated in the heart of Silicon Valley close to Gilroy Premium Outlets, Bonfante Gardens and the Garlic Festival.
Be careful to check for ticks  after hiking in fields in the bay area. There is a high rate of lyme disease transmission in the Bay Area. If a bulls' eye rash develops at the tick bite site, immediately seek medical help and treatment with antibiotics.
|Routes through Morgan Hill
WikiPedia:Morgan Hill, California
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!