Montgomery's area code is 334.
Montgomery's area code is 334.
For emergencies dial 911 for medical and police assistance. Avoid the West and
Southern parts of the city, as these tend to be where most of the crime is concentrated. Carjacking is not uncommon, so keep your doors locked when not around your vehicle. The Eastern portion of the city, specifically from the Eastern Blvd onward, offers many safe and family friendly shopping attractions and venues. |+|
For emergencies dial 911 for medical and police assistance. Avoid the West and parts of the city, as these tend to be where most of the crime is concentrated. Carjacking is not uncommon, so keep your doors locked when not around your vehicle. The Eastern portion of the city, specifically from the Eastern Blvd onward, offers many safe and family friendly shopping attractions and venues.
| || |
Revision as of 23:01, 4 December 2008
- For other places with the same name, see Montgomery (disambiguation).
Montgomery  is the capital of Alabama, in the River Heritage region of the state.
Montgomery briefly held the title of capital of the Confederacy and was also the site of Jefferson Davis' inauguration. Montgomery was also a pivotal location during the civil rights movement, seeing the arrest of Rosa Parks and the ensuing bus boycott, as well as numerous non violent protests led by Dr. Martin Luther King.
- Montgomery Airport, 4445 Selma Highway, Phone: +1 334 281-5040, . The Montgomery Airport is a small airport with US Air Express, Delta Connection, Northwest Airlink, and Continental Express operating out of the airport. Consider flying through Atlanta (2 hours away) or Birmingham (1.5 hours away) to save money.
The two major interstate highways that serve Montgomery are I-85, which connects Montgomery with Atlanta, Georgia; and I-65 which connects Montgomery with Birmingham to the north and Mobile to the south.
- Greyhound, 950 W South Blvd., Phone: +1 334 286-0658, . Hours: The bus station and ticketing is open 24 hours/ 7 days.
Montgomery Area Transit System (MATS)  operates the bus and trolley system in Montgomery.
- Alabama Shakspeare Festival, 1 Festival Dr., 
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, One Museum Drive, +1 334 240-4333, (email:email@example.com), . 10AM-5PM Tu-Sa, 10AM-9PM Th, 12PM-5PM Su. Free.
- Civil Rights Memorial, 400 Washington Avenue, +1 334 956-8200, .
- Blount Cultural Park, 6055 Vaughn Road, +1 334 274-0062, . Daily 6AM-10PM.
- Hank Williams Museum, 118 Commerce Street, +1 334 262-3600, . 9AM-5PM M-Sa, 1PM-4PM Su.
- Alabama State Capitol, 600 Dexter Avenue, +1 334 242-3935, . 9AM-5PM M-Sa.
- Rosa Parks Library and Museum, 251 Montgomery Street, +1 334 241-8615, . 9AM-5PM M-F, 9AM-3PM Sa.
- Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church, 454 Dexter Avenue, +1 334 263-3970, . 10AM-4PM Tu-F, 10AM-2PM Sa. Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. preached at the church for six years. Adults $5, Children $3.
- Montgomery Zoo, 2301 Coliseum Parkway, +1 334 240-4900, .
Old Alabama Town is another great place to visit in Montgomery. We have relocated some of the areas finest old homes and restored them. It is a place to vist and step back in time to an era long gone from everyday society. The buildings are located just 3 blocks north od Dexter Ave. The State Capitol is located at the end of this street so it is easy to find. There are several blocks of these houses so bring a good pair of walking shoes.
- Alabama National Fair, 
- Alabama Shakspeare Festival,1 Festival Dr., 
- Alabama Bureau of Tourism & Travel:Things to Do in Alabama, 
- Montgomery Alabama News, 
- Montgomery Advertiser, 
- Alabama State University, .
- Southern Christian University, .
- Auburn University Montgomery, .
- Faulkner University, . Is a small Christian university.
- Huntingdon College, . A small United Methodist affiliated college.
- Air University, . AU is operated by the U.S. Air Force.
Montgomery's diners tend to be very basic eaters. Lunch times are famous for what is called a "meat and three menu". That is where a restaurant, during the lunch hour, serves a meat course and three sides (vegetables or potatoes). It tends to be very filling (perhaps too filling)but reliable quantity and quality wise.
There seems to be a preference for corporate generic restaurants (Outback, Olive Garden, Red Lobster). If they have a franchise, Montgomery probably has one.
You need to understand a few southernisms when dining in Montgomery and these are applicable throughout the Alabama and Mississippi area.
Most restaurants serve "sweet" tea. That is tea that is more sweet that a two teaspoons of sugar. Ask for unsweet and sweeten it yourself.
Breakfast is served with biscuits (trust me, you will love them), never toast. They also serve grits with breakfast and it is considered appropriate to doctor them anyway that you like to eat them.
Bar-B-Que means that meat is slow cooked over a wood fire. Sauce is served on the side and I have seen the full range of sauces (mustard type, tomato based, Tex-Mex).
Montgomery is home for the Hyundai automobile plant. Look for several fine Korean and Pan Asian restaurants and interesting menu items.
Montgomery is in lower Alabama and you can expect, in some of the better restaurants, some Cajun influence.
One would expect good pecan pie here. I have yet to find it anywhere that is memorable.
3D Dogs,(334) 358-1903 153 W Main St, Prattville, AL. Provides a great selection that ranges from Chicago Style hot dogs to gyros. Try the Philly Steak, it is awesome.
Casa Napoli, 5331 Young Barn Road, Montgomery, AL (334)274-9111
Jim & Nicks Bar-B-Que, 6415 Atlanta Hwy, Montgomery, AL 36117, (334)213.0046
Juns Pan Asian Grill, 6050 Atlanta Highway, Montgomery, AL 36117, (334) 356-1152
Garretts, 7780 Atlanta Hwy, Montgomery - (334) 396-9950
La Jolla, 6854 Eastchase Pkwy, Montgomery, AL 36117, (334) 356-2600
Ruddles Pub, 3133 Bell Rd, Montgomery, AL 36116, (334) 277-8710
Vintage Year, 405 Cloverdale Rd, Montgomery, AL 36106,(334) 264-8463
- America's Best Inn, 977 W. South Blvd., +1 334 288-5740, Fax: +1 334 286-0042, .
- America's Best Inn, 5135 Carmichael Road, +1 334 270-9199, Fax: +1 334 270-9199, .
- Best Western Hope Hull Inn, 7731 Slade Plaza Boulevard, +1 334 280-0306, Fax: +1 334 284-0909, .
- Best Western Monticello Inn, 5837 Monticello Drive, +1 334 277-4442, Fax: +1 334 277-9669, .
- Residence Inn Montgomery, 1200 Hilmar Court, +1 334 270-3300, Fax: +1 334 260-0907, .
- SpringHill Suites Montgomery, 1201 Townplace Drive, +1 334 409-9999, Fax: +1 334 409-0061, .
- TownePlace Suites Montgomery, 5047 TownePlace Drive, +1 334 396-5505, Fax: +1 334 396-5504.
- Wingate by Wyndham Montgomery, 2060 East Boulevard, Montgomery, AL 36117, ☎ (334) 244-7880, .
- Motel 6, 1051 Eastern Boulevard, +1 334 277-6748, Fax: +1 334 277-9195, .
- Courtyard Montgomery, 5555 Carmichael Road, +1 334 272-5533, Fax: +1 334 279-0853, .
- Red Roof Inn Montgomery, 5601 Carmichael Road, +1 334 270-0007, Fax: +1 334 270-0007, .
- Holiday Inn, 1185 Eastern Blvd, +1 334 272-0370, .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 4273 Troy Highway, +1 334 281-6000, .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 9250 Boyd-cooper Parkway, +1 334 271-5516, .
- Ramada Inn Montgomery Airport, 1100 W. South Blvd. (I-65 at Exit 168), ☎ +1 334-281-1660 (fax: +1 334 281-1667), . (32.328,-86.339)
- Embassy Suites Hotel & Conference Center 300 Tallapoosa Street, 334-269-5055, .
- Montgomery Marriott Prattville Hotel & Conference Center at Capitol Hill, 2500 Legends Circle, Phone: +1 334 290-1235, (Fax: +1 334 290-2111, firstname.lastname@example.org), .
Montgomery's area code is 334.
For emergencies dial 911 for medical and police assistance. Avoid the West and Southwestern parts of the city, as these tend to be where most of the crime is concentrated. Carjacking is not uncommon, so keep your doors locked when not around your vehicle. The Eastern portion of the city, specifically from the Eastern Blvd onward, offers many safe and family friendly shopping attractions and venues.
During the months of April through October, Montgomery experiences periods of high heat and humidity. Plan your "outside" days accordingly. Be sure to acclimatize to the heat (this should take a few days), take advantage of early mornings and evenings, drink plenty of water.