Montauk is a hamlet in East Hampton on Long Island in New York
Montauk is known by many Long Island residents as "The End". The reason being that it is the easternmost point of the island and New York state.
Montauk has a rich history. It is named after the Montaukett tribe that lived on the lands that now encompass Montauk for centuries. Urban legend tells of Captain Kidd burying treasure somewhere in Montauk around 1700. Montauk is also home to the oldest ranch in the United Sates, Deep Hallow Ranch.
At the point of the hamlet stands Montauk Point Lighthouse, the first lighthouse built in New York and fourth oldest lighthouse in the United States.Montauk Point Lighthouse.
Montauk is home to the largest commercial and recreational fishing fleet in the state of New York. It boasts the claim that it has more saltwater fishing records than any other port in the world.
Montauk is easily accessible by car, by bys, by rail,and even by boat.
Taking a plane to New York is easy. There are three airports to chose from in the region. John F. Kennedy Airport (JKF) and LaGuardia Airport, both in Queens, and MacArthur Airport in Islip are all easily the first step to getting to Montauk.
Either travelling in your own car or by rental car it is easy to get out to "The End". The only road that goes out to seaside town is Sunrise Highway (or Route 27), which runs from New York City all the way to Montauk. Along the way Sunrise Highway turns into Montauk Highway yet it is still known as Route 27.
The Hampton Jitney bus service runs from Manhattan to Montauk.
There are also local buses run by Suffolk from town to town.
The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) is an alternative to driving. It too runs from Penn Station in Manhattan to Montauk.
There are also places at which one can dock their boat and also ferries that run from other East End locations.
Once in Montauk the most efficient and convenient way to see all the sights and destinations is by car. While some hotels are within walking distance to many sites there are more that are spread out.
- Montauk Point Lighthouse, 2000 Montauk Hwy, ☎ (631) 668-2544, . The Montauk Lighthouse is a historical lighthouse with a beautiful view of "The End" of Long Island. It is the easternmost lighthouse on Long Island. Adult: $9 Seniors: $7 Children: $4.
File:Http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Montauk Point Lighthouse.jpg
- Hither Hills State Park, 164 Old Montauk Highway, ☎ (631) 668-2554, . A beautiful state park that has camp grounds, grills, and beach access. It offers families, couples, and individuals a great place to enjoy a day or even a weekend. Great outdoor recreation. (41.016335831100001,-72.021677481799998)
There is plenty to do in Montauk. It is renowned for its fishing and even claims to have the most saltwater fish records than any other port in the world. There are six state parks, the famed Montauk Point Lighthouse, and many restaurants, shops, and sights.
- Montauk Bike Shop, 725A Montauk Hwy., ☎ (631) 668- 8975, .
Numerous specialty shops, restaurants, and markets line Main Street (Montauk Highway). It is here that you can find an array of goods, treats, and fresh, local seafood.
- Paulie's Tackle, 4 Edgemere Street, ☎ 631) 668-5520, .
- Herbs Market, 778 Montauk Highway, ☎ (631) 668-2335, .
- Air & Speed Board Shop, 795 Montauk Highway, ☎ (631) 668-0356.
- Strawberry Field Flowers, 695 Montauk Hwy, ☎ (631) 668-6279, .
- Montauk Bookshop, 37a The Plaza, ☎ 631-668-4599, .
- Willow, The Plaza, ☎ 631-668-0772, .
Numerous restaurants for every taste are in Montauk. There is an abundance of fresh, locally caught seafood markets, restaurants, and bars. No matter what it is that you are looking for, fine dining or a casual eatery, you can easily find it in Montauk.
- Naturally Good Foods & Café, 38 South Etna Ave., ☎ 631-668-9030.
- Montauk Bake Shoppe, 29 The Plaza, ☎ 631-668-2439.
- Harvest on Fort Pond, 11 South Emery Street, ☎ (631) 668-5574, .
- Duryea's Lobster Deck, 65 Tuthill Road, ☎ (631) 688-2410, .
- Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina, 32 Star Island Road, ☎ (631) 668-3100, .
- Fishbar Montauk Seafood Restaurant, 467 East Lake Drive, ☎ (631) 668-6600, .
Bars and lounges are all around Montauk. Local bars are often frequented by fisherman and tourists alike.
Montauk offers a wide array of hotels, bed & breakfast, and motels to accomodate all visitors. The interesting thing about Montauk is that you will not find any chain operated hotels or motels. This is because Southampton zoning laws forbid chain hotels. Therefore each hotel, motel, and bed & breakfast is independently owned and operated.
- The Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina, 32 Star Island Road, Montauk, ☎ +1 888-MYC-8668, . Has long been a destination for visitors to the shores of Long Island's South Fork East End.
- Gurney's Inn Spa & Salon, 290 Old Montauk Hwy., ☎ 631-668-2345, . Nestled among the dunes of Montauk, New York, at the very tip of Long Island, Gurney's Inn Resort & Spa has, for eight decades, been a place for stressed New Yorkers to escape the pressures of the city. It's spectacular ocean views and remote, wild, windswept setting, combined with one of the nation's few true sea water pools make it a true year-round destination - a place where the cares of the world seem mercifully distant.
- Sands Motel, 71 S. Emery St., ☎ 631-668-5100, . 75' from ocean beach, located near the western end of the village. Motels amenities include 50' pool, bedrooms & efficiencies, w/ phones, A/C, refrigerator, Wi-Fi Internet access, TV/HBO, all rooms non-smoking. Deluxe 2-1/2 room suites with full kitchen & private balcony; 2-bedroom cottage; BBQ's. CHILDREN WELCOME.
- Ocean Resort Inn, 95 S. Emerson Ave, ☎ 631-668-2300, . Footsteps to the Ocean - Jacuzzi's for two, Ocean view rooms & suites.
- Montauk Manor, 236 Edgemere St., ☎ 631-668-4400, . Perched on one of the highest points in Montauk with stunning views, this wonderful old building is a historic landmark that has been restored and turned into a modern luxury resort hotel / condominium. The facility has a restaurant, tennis courts and indoor swimming pool and is within walking distance of town and the beach. Newly renovated conference facility.
- Hartman's Briney Breezes Motel, ☎ 631-668-2290, . Overlooking Montauk's famed white, sandy beaches with breathtaking Ocean View from all of our newly renovated rooms, each with a terrace or balcony. We have 1 and 2 room accommodations.