| || |
| || |
Revision as of 23:46, 7 June 2010
Mississauga  is a city southwesten Ontario, Canada. It is Toronto's largest suburb and Canada's sixth largest city.
Toronto's Pearson International Airport  is the main regional airport serving Canada's largest city, as a result it is reasonably well served by flights from cities across Canada as well as many American cities and several European, Asian, Latin American, African and Oceanian cities. The Airport is a short taxi ride from anywhere in Mississauga.
Mississauga is served by 4 major expressways:
- The 401 links Mississauga with Windsor, Detroit and beyond in the West direction, and Kingston, Ottawa, and Quebec in the East direction.
- The 403 links to Hamilton and Niagara Falls in the west, and connects with the 401 and 410. The 410 leads to Brampton in the North.
- The QEW links Mississauga with the Gardiner Expressway and downtown Toronto in the east, and connects with the 403 in the west.
- The 407 is an East-West toll route running parallel with the 401.
By public transit
Mississauga is reasonably accessible from Toronto by transit. GO Transit  runs trains during rush hour and buses the rest of the day from various terminals in Toronto to several stations in Mississauga. Square One shopping centre contains the main bus terminal for the city, it is regularly served by GO buses as well as local Mississauga Transit buses.
Mississauga Transit  is operated by the City of Mississauga. Because of the lack of urban planning in its early years, the city has become too spread out, causing it to be difficult to traverse without a personal car. As a result, the transit system is still used, yet the routes are somewhat infrequent (waiting times are typically 15 to 45 minutes on week days), and some bus routes are only offered exclusively on week days. In an effort to increase their number of passengers however, Mississauga has put in major efforts to improve the system, including their Clicknride web page, which plans out the most appropriate trip for the rider as well. As of 2009, a ride on a Mississauga Transit bus costs $3, and transfers (for free entry onto buses within the following one and a half hour since the beginning of the route) must be requested when you are paying. Transfers can also be used for discounts on other public transportation systems in adjacent areas. A listing of fares  is available on their website.
Toronto Transit Commision (TTC)  (services some of the east end of the city near the Toronto boundary)
Oakville Transit  (services some of the west end of the city near the Oakville boundary)
Blue & White Taxi
Golden City Taxi
- Port Credit An older, historic village at the centre of Mississauga's Lake Ontario shore features many intimate small restaurants, cafes and bars. Annual events include the Waterfront Festival and Jazz/Bluefest. Nice Marina and walking paths at the Credit River entrance and along the lakeshore.
- Streetsville. This small village is where the renowned mayor of Mississauga, Hazel McCallion, resides. It has many shops, restaurants, and green areas to explore. Visit in June to enjoy the Bread and Honey Festival or in winter months for Remembrance Day services and the Santa Claus Parade.
- Art Gallery of Mississauga (AGM), 300 City Centre Drive (Mississauga Civic Centre, Ground Floor; visit website for more info), ☎ 905-896-5088, . Monday-Wednesday, Friday 10am-5pm; Thursday 10am-8pm; Weekends 12pm-4pm. The AGM has over 3000 square feet divided into four gallery spaces, and programmes approximately 10 exhibitions a year of national and international contemporary art. Free.
- Playdium A large video arcade that also has wall climbing and go-karting. Some nights you are able to pay a flat fee for three hours of arcade gaming.
- West 50 in the restaurant section for a selection of more than 100 beers on tab.
- Square One  , one of the largest malls in the world
- Erin Mills Town Centre
- Heartland Town Centre, a shopping complex located in the eastern part of the city mostly consisting of "big box" stores.
- Old Credit Brewery, 6 Queen St. W. Tel:905-2719888, Open 10-19, Excellent small brewery that sells an ale and a pilsner.
- Dixie Outlet Mall
- Axia Restaurant and Bar, 5045 Plantation Place (Along Eglinton Ave W near Erin Mills), tel: 905-6082942. . In the community of Erin Mills. A nicely designed ambient place with fully authentic Asian food being produced from separate kitchens. Specializes in Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Korean cuisine. Mains $15-20, appetizers $5-10. Fully liquor licensed with unique flavoured Korean soju and alcoholic bubble tea. A must for any Asian food lover and enough variety to last countless visits.
- Nirvana, 35 Brunnel Road (in the north end of Mississauga close to Brampton), ☎ '+1905'' 5015500. the Flavors of India. Slightly upscale Indian restaurant . It is a friendly place with great food. Mains CND 13.
- Moxie's Classic Grill, . Locations in Meadowvale and Square One.
- Richtree Market Restaurant. Located in Square One, this market-style restaurant allows you to see your food being freshly made throughout the day. Offers a nice ambiance in the middle of an otherwise hectic area.
- The Apricot Tree Café (Apricot Tree), 1900 Dundas St. W., Mississauga, ON (The Apricot Tree is on Dundas St. between the Erin Mills Pkwy and Mississauga Rd.), ☎ (905) 855-1470, . Monday 10am-9pm, Tuesday-Friday 10am-10pm, Saturday 9am-10pm, closed Sunday. Serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, with a wide range of excellent pastries and cakes for dessert. Features an open kitchen design which allows guests to watch their order being prepared. Breakfast average $8; lunch mains average $11; dinner mains average $17.
- West 50, 50 Burnhamthorpe Rd. W. (The Sussex Centre), ☎ ''+1'' 9059499378 (email@example.com), . Mo-Th: 11am-1am,Fr: 11am-2am, sa:4pm-2am, Su:5pm-2am. Excellent steaks, salads and desserts. Stylish interior with a huge stainless steel bar on the inside and two rings of tables at different levels around it. They have more than 100 beers from around Canada and the rest of the world on tap, try a 6-beer sampler menu if cannot decide CAD 20 for mains.
Drink and Club
- Body English, 1325 Eglinton Avenue East, [www.bodyenglishniteclub.com]. Casual club playing top 40 music.
- My Apartment Two locations - one in Mississauga and one in Oakville (now called "Rehab") bordering Mississauga.
|Routes through Mississauga