Mirissa is in Southern Province.
Mirissa is a beautiful little village with a nice beach and two surfing points. One for advanced surfers, and one for intermediate ones.
Take bus heading to Matara or Tangalle from Fort in Colombo and ask to get out in Mirissa. A/C costs 370 Rupees. Regular costs 250 Rupees. Depending on when you go, a trip will take between 3.5 and 5 hours.
Alternatively, you can take the train from Colombo Fort to Weligama (7 km from Mirissa) and then go by bus (20 Rupees in 2014) or tuk tuk (300 Rupess in 2014). A 2nd class train ticket costs 220 Rupees. The train schedule is available here. Trips take between 2.5 and 3.5 hours (depending on the train).
Mirissa is a small village, you can basically get everywhere by feet.
Walking. Cycling. Motorbiking. Tuk Tuk. Available to rent everywhere.
Buddhist temple. Fisherman harbour. Beach.
Surfing. Bodyboarding. Whale watching. Swimming. Snorkelling. Ayurvedic treatments.
- Raja & The Whales, Mirissa Harbour, ☎ 0776953452, . Great company, which provides sustainable whale watching in Mirissa.
- Mirissa Water Sports, Harbour road, Mirissa, ☎ +94 77 359 77 32. The pioneers of whale watching in Sri Lanka and employs youth people who were affected by the tsunami in 2004.
- Mirissa Moorings, Harbour road, Mirissa, ☎ +94 772220967. Mirissa Moorings is the premiere boat charter mooring facilities and services in Mirissa offering sailing trips on 6,5 m MiniBee boats (manufactured in Sri Lanka) to local and foreign tourists. You can rent boats with or without a skipper if you have a valid/international sail license.
Many different restaurants on the beach. Cheaper but still very tasty options are the Roti shops more inland.
- Dewmini Roti Shop, ☎ 0715162604. 7am-10pm. Very nice, quiet place to have a drink or taste the delicious fresh rotis. Little inland (follow small road next to internet place on the main street and look out for the signposting).
In the beach bars around the beach.
There is accommodation available for each type of traveller. You can find budget places starting from 700 Rupees and 1.500 Rupees in season.
- teviedu, no324,uswatta,udupila,mirissa., ☎ 0094715927833. Very nice place run by a local family. Provides the best view in Mirissa. Rooms starting from about 700 Rupies off season. 10 minutes off the beach and surf point (very right side on the beach when you watch the sea - up the hill).
- Mirissa Beach House, Beach side/ Paradise road (At the headland end of Mirissa Beach.), ☎ +971566832281, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 11am. A private Villa with room for up to 6 people. For privacy we only rent to one group to at a time. 40 meters from the beautiful Mirissa beach, bars and restaurants. Great outside area for relaxing after a day in the sun. Hot water shower and comfortable clean beds with mosquito nets. The house has 2 double beds and a adult length double bunk. Strong fans cool all sleeping and sitting areas. House has tea, coffee and toast facilities with a refrigerator but not full kitchen. Downstairs there is a great BBQ area if you feel like cooking some of the local seafood. Sunbeds are available in the garden and downstairs if you feel like relaxing outside. low season 120 USD a night. (5.943806,80.456212)