Minnetonka is a city in the Twin Cities.
The word "Minnetonka" comes from the Dakota Indian mni tanka meaning "great water". The city is home to Cargill, the country's largest privately owned company and United Healthcare, the state's largest publicly owned company.
Minnetonka's close proximity to Minneapolis makes it an attractive location for people wishing to vist the Twin Cities, yet not spend the money on a hotel downtown.
The Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport is only fifteen miles from Hopkins.
Minnetonka is intersected by two major interstates and a number of major highways. Interstate 494 runs north/south through the center of Minnetonka. Interstate 394 runs east/west, into Minneapolis and joining with interstate 94
Most people travel by car in Minnetonka. Metro Transit serves the Minnetonka area with bus service and the schedule can be found on the Metro Transit website . Express busses to Minneapolis run most mornings and evenings. Taxi service is also available by request, although it would be rather hard to hail a cab down from the street.
View of the historic Burwell House
- Charles H. Burwell House, 13209 McGinty Rd E, ☎ +1 952 939-8219, . A five acre site, including the buildings, is on the National Register of Historic Places, and the site is also a designated Minnetonka Landmark. Tours of the Home are offered during the summer.
- Ridgedale Mall, 12401 Wayzata Blvd, ☎ +1 952 541-4864, . M-Sa 10AM-9PM Su 12PM-6PM. Over 140 specialty stores and restaurants. Stores include Abercrombie & Fitch, Apple, Ann Taylor, Build-A-Bear Workshop, Coach, Coldwater Creek, Hollister, J.Jill, Origami Sushi, Sephora, Swarovski and White House Black Market.
- Ridgedale Library, 12601 Ridgedale Dr, ☎ +1 612 543-8800, . M-Th 10AM-9PM F-Sa 10AM-5PM Su12PM-5PM. Full computer lab with Wi-Fi internet access
- Hampton Inn by Hilton - Minnetonka, 10420 Wayzata Blvd, ☎ +1 952 541-1094, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: Noon. $80-$180.
- Holliday Inn Express, 10985 Red Circle Dr, ☎ +1 877 859-5095, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: Noon. 15 minutes from the MSP airport and downtown. Complementary continental breakfast served daily. $60-$130.
- Minneapolis Marriott Southwest, 5801 Opus Pkwy, ☎ +1 888 236-2427, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: Noon. Heated indoor pool, pond-side sunbathing deck, and health club. $75-$250.
- Sheraton Minneapolis West Hotel, 12201 Ridgedale Dr, ☎ +1 952 593-0000, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: Noon. Located across from Ridgedale Mall, and just 10 minutes from downtown Minneapolis. Hotel includes an indoor pool and full-service Atrium Bistro.