Minchinhampton is in the Cotswolds, England, on a hill about 5 miles south east of Stroud. The market town dates back to the 14th century as do many of the buildings, such as the Market House.
There is one bus an hour (ish) from Stroud.
Alternatively you can drive in. From Cirencester follow the main road, the A419 towards Stroud, once past a cross roads and through some trees, you should come to the airfield, on your left. Turn left just after the airfield (opposite a parking area with a cafe). Following this road will get you into Minchinhampton. You'll be crossing a cattle grid when you enter Minchinhampton. Warning Mind the cows! They are likely to be on the road.
The village is quite small, and the centre is compact. It's easy to see the whole village on foot.
- The main high street in Minchinhampton has a few small, family run shops and cafes.
- The parish church is open during the day time.
- The market house.
(not really that interesting, honest).
- Sometimes there is a small market, under the market house.
- Walk or play frisbee on Minchinhampton Common (just to the West of the village).
- Some shops sell local produce. Most of the shops are pretty utilitarian (two Butchers, a chemist, a green grocer). There's one or two antique shops on the main road too (with funny opening times...)
- Crown Inn, High Street (opposite the market house), 01453 882357, Serves meals all day. Local pub. Meals quite expensive and a bit "manky".
- Ragged Cot, Cirencester Road (actually in Hyde, not Minchinhampton, just to the East of Minchinhampton, along main road, over the cattle grid, at the cross roads, 15 minute walk from top of Butt Street: Some of road's not nice to walk along: Advise driving), 01453 884643, Much nicer food than Crown Inn, but less 'local' atmosphere. Very good restaurant, but pricey. Apparently haunted. Is a pub, restaurant and hotel.
- Sophie's Restaurant, 3 West End. 01453 889910  Monday-Friday 10am-4pm, Saturday 10am-2pm. Needs review, cafe in the centre of town, quite expensive.
- The Kitchen 7 High Street (40 yards down hill from the Crown Inn, town centre), 01453 882655, unreviewed newish cafe.
- The Old Lodge, Minchinhampton (West of Minchinhampton, middle of the common), 01453 832047, pub with good beer, reports suggest good food need reviews.
- Hunters Lodge, 31 Dr Browns Road Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire (From minchinhampton, drive West, across common. First left (Dr Browns Road) at a cross roads. It will be on your right as you drive towards village. (01453 883588) www.cotswoldsbandb.co.uk Hunters lodge website. double is £50!!! One report that it was very good.
- No cheap accommodation (that I know of). Maybe could get away with camping on common, if you're sneaky. (Watch out for townies if you do).