Minchinhampton is in the Cotswolds, England, on a hill about 5 miles south east of Stroud. The market town dates back to the 14th century as do many of the buildings, such as the Market House.
There is one bus an hour (ish) from Stroud.
Alternatively you can drive in. From Cirencester follow the main road, the A419 towards Stroud, once past a cross roads and through some trees, you should come to the airfield, on your left. Turn left just after the airfield (opposite a parking area with a cafe). Following this road will get you into Minchinhampton. You'll be crossing a cattle grid when you enter Minchinhampton. Warning Mind the cows! They are likely to be on the road.
The village is quite small, and the centre is compact. It's easy to see the whole village on foot.
- The main high street in Minchinhampton has a few small, family run shops and cafes.
- The parish church is open during the day time.
- The market house.
(not really that interesting, honest).
- Sometimes there is a small market, under the market house.
- Walk or play frisbee on Minchinhampton Common (just to the West of the village).
- Some shops sell local produce. Most of the shops are pretty utilitarian (two Butchers, a chemist, a green grocer). There's one or two antique shops on the main road too (with funny opening times...)
- There is the Crown Inn on the high street, opposite the market house, which serves meals throughout the day.
- ??, nicer pub just to the East of Minchinhampton, past the cattle grid, at the cross roads. Road's not nice to walk along: Advise driving.
- Cafes on high street?
- Hunters Lodge, 31 Dr Browns Road Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire (From minchinhampton, drive West, across common. First left (Dr Browns Road) at a cross roads. It will be on your right as you drive towards village. (01453 883588) www.cotswoldsbandb.co.uk Hunters lodge website. double is £50!!! I've not been here, but my Great Aunt seemed to like it...
- No cheap accommodation (that I know of). Maybe could get away with camping on common, if you're sneaky. (Watch out for townies if you do).